Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to install a dual dash cam system, with parking mode, it needs permanent power along with the switched power.
Any suggestions where I might pick up permanent power in the fuse box.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
in my Niro I did it via roof-light, may be in the Stinger it is also easy to remove ...

Only two screews (carefully) to remove in the box for the spectacles ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gerd, that might work. But in my hardwire kit I have a voltage monitor that will turn off power to the camera if the voltage goes below a preset level. The monitor is at the end of the wire loom so I may have to run a wire back up to the centre light. Anyone else got any ideas about this or a permanent fuse in the fuse holder - may be the one that feeds the interior lights - but which one is that ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
in my Niro I have there (blue and red dot), permanent 12V in the roof-light-box, nothing disturbes the room-light. My dashcam has also a setting to switch off or not, if the voltage goes below e.g. 12V. I used the otiginal long cable and put all in the little box for the glasses, so it is question of space ...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks Gerd, that might work. But in my hardwire kit I have a voltage monitor that will turn off power to the camera if the voltage goes below a preset level. The monitor is at the end of the wire loom so I may have to run a wire back up to the centre light. Anyone else got any ideas about this or a permanent fuse in the fuse holder - may be the one that feeds the interior lights - but which one is that ?
Handbook has fuse layout also diagram on rear of fuse panel I think AUX fuse is permanent live and also interior lights (y)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks Gerd, that might work. But in my hardwire kit I have a voltage monitor that will turn off power to the camera if the voltage goes below a preset level.
there is often space in the roof liner area for adapters and maybe the voltage monitor too. Otherwise there may be space near the fuse box.
There is probably an air bag in the A pillar however it should be easy enough to run the cable past that. Best to take off the trim so that the cable can be routed under any airbag straps or parts and secured out of the way.
If the voltage montor is the usuall 12v-5v adapter with 11.8v cut out then it should fit near the fuse box.

I found that 11.8v cut out is a bit low. Probably too low for winter months. The car barely starts at that voltage, so a higher cut out point is probably better.
It's a compromise, less video of people walking past the car and rain on the windscreen means more battery capacity for starting.

to find a feed in the roof light area you'll just need to measure the voltage with the key both on and off and the motor on and off to verify that you have the feed you need. Most roof light feeds are always on, though you may have sunroof and other options in there too.

If you are taking a feed from the fuse box, measure those as well with a voltmeter, turn the key on and off and the motor on and off to verify that the feed is suitable and dosn't cut out when the key is out or the doors lock for ex.

·
Super Moderator
2,655 Posts
As well as remember that some of the electrics while may seem live after turning ignition off, go dead after a short period.

Personally due to the narrow view of dashcams "parking mode " is a bit pointless as the odds of someone jumping on the bonnet is very slim. Keying the side is far more likely to happen and will flag up nothing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Personally due to the narrow view of dashcams "parking mode " is a bit pointless as the odds of someone jumping on the bonnet is very slim. Keying the side is far more likely to happen and will flag up nothing.
correct IOOI
power on with the Key in ACC position, or the equivalent if its a keyless car is a good option for most uses. A 3-way switch can be included if so desired, to switch from ACC mode to "allways on" mode where the power is then taken from an allways on source or a voltage adapter with low voltage cutout.

this way one can avoid the battery being constantly depleated while filming passers by and trees in the wind, yet still have the parking surveilance available for special occasions.

·
Super Moderator
3,220 Posts
Good luck with removing the roof light on the Stinger as I also wanted to use that for my dashcam as I had done in my previous Pro_Ceed but I gave up in the end as it was too tightly fitted to the roof liner!
I was also a bit worried about the heavy power needed for the sunroof but a mechanic I spoke to said the roof switches were low power and the heavy power cables went direct to the sunroof motors.
I also spoke to my spare parts guys in my Kia dealer and got a photo of the line drawing of the roof light - I'll post it here if I can find it!

The print they did for me only showed one special screw but the good thing is that it shows two fingers at the back so I just need to remove the two self tapper screws in the roof of the glasses holder, lower the front clear of the roof lining and wriggle the fingers clear of the roof lining at the rear.
See picture below.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your contributions. Im going to wire both cables into the fuse box. If I get a chance I'll take some pictures of the installation. Hoping to do it this weekend.

·
Registered
61 Posts
look on you tube there is a good post on hard wiring a camera to a kia venga and lots of other useful posts and how-to items.to keep you busy in lock down

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed VIOFO 129 Due yesterday, pretty straightforward. Plenyt of info on Youtube. I routed cables to rear camera down the drivers side - but rather go from back to front I went from front to back, since the connector to the front camera is larger than the rear. I manage to loose the excess cable in the tail gate. I was also very carful to route all cables behind air bags.
I temprorally wired the camera to the battery to check it functioned OK before re fitting all the covers. Now Im waiting for the pigy back fuse thingy to power the camera from the fuse box.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought a gadget that plugs into the ODB port. It has a switch that lets you have either constant power for parking mode cameras (automatically cuts power when it detects the battery voltage is low) or power only with the ignition on. It only cost £20. Much more convenient than having to hard wire into the fuses.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a Blackvue camera and the one I bought

You can get them with Micro USB connections for other dash cams. Just do a search.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
that was perfect timing as I am fitting a Blackvue 750s to my car this week.
I just bought one and it will be here tomorrow, cheers for the link and info

1 - 17 of 17 Posts