Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Had my '58 2.0 Litre Carens S for just over a week now and am fairly pleased with it except for an irritating noise around the front offside just under/in front of driver's door. It sounds like something loose. If it was at the rear, then I would say it was something rattling about in the boot. It is not a thump or suspension type noise as if drop links or track rod ends etc. are loose. I've looked under bonnet in engine bay and under car but can find nothing. It's bugging the s**t out of me!!! Anyone any idea?
Tyre noise is quite intrusive on most surfaces. Anyone recommend quieter tyres ?.
Who designed the foot / hand brake pedal ? I wish I was on whatever he / she was taking.
Well that's that off my chest and I feel so much better.
Any help re the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Is the noise louder when going over bumps or is is there as you drive along (if you can hear it over the tyre whine
)? Front drop links are a regular failure on these, covered under warranty of course.

I changed to some incredibly cheap tyres (can't remember the brand but they were Polish I think) after trying Dunlop & Michelins, no noticeable difference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noise is louder over bumps / potholes etc. One reason I didn't suspect drop links is that the car has only covered 10,200 miles from new. Shall take it to dealer and get them to investigate. It appears that you can't seem to get upgraded components e.g. poly bushes, shocks etc. for Kia cars. I've searched net but unable to find anything.

As far as Tyres go, I changed to Dunlops on my old Volvo V70 after being told that they were the quietest you could get (as recommended by some tyre organisation). No difference whatsoever. £400 down the drain !! Reluctant to go down that road again.
Thanks for help and info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took to dealer this morning where mechanic had run in it. They put it up on ramp and tightened some bolts to correct torque. Noise now disappeared and running OK. Extremely friendly at Arnold Clark in Cumbernaul. Hope I've found a good dealer.

Whilst there I noticed a black 07 plated Carens with a protective covering on the rear bumber. Anyone know if this is available or something similar ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
There is a black or clear bumper protection strip if thats what you meen. It protects the top ledge of the bumper when un/loading. About £15 plus vat

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's a main dealer only part, comes in black or clear, black is slightly more robust material.

It's self adhesive & VERY sticky, be careful if you apply it yourself, once stuck you wont adjust it!

Cumbernauld? I nearly moved there once in my single days, god she was pretty!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered part from dealer.
What's wrong with Cumbernauld ??? IT'S BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
!!!!!CUMBERNAULD !!!!!!
Beautiful architechture, great shopping centre, simple road system etc. What more could anyone want ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I had an annoying rattle on the front as well,i found that when i applied some pressure to the foot brake while the car was moving the noise went away.
To cut a long story short it was wear in the brake calipers,i'm not sure what the proper description is but i called them the slide pins.
As a test i put quite a bit of grease in the two holes where the pins slide/fit to see if that cured it,well,it did for a while then it came back,i then renewed the pins,that didn't make a lot of difference,it was the holes in the caliper casting that were worn,so,it got more grease and put back together as i wasn't going to pay anymore out to Kia just to get rid of a bit of wear.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I had an annoying noise in the front of my Venga once - made her get out at the next set of lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts