Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So coming from a 2016 Sportage - I loved how I could set up the car and it stayed that way after restarting it.
With my 21 Ceed its driving me crazy, since I have to always press buttons to enable/disable stuff how I want it.

1st. Start/stop function. I wanted it to be OFF by default, but the dealer explained it always goes to ON by default because of emission regulations - did anyone manage to turn it off at the dealers or via some OBD2 "hack". I hate the bloody thing and on my BMW the dealer turned it to be off by default after car restart.

2nd. Lane keep assist (LKA) - once again I would like it to be completely off by default, when I start the car.

3rd. AUTO HOLD - it is off by default - I want in ON.

4th. Cruise control - can it be programmed to be ON by default, so that I can just press the "+" button to engage it?

-Did anyone manage to get those issues solved like I want them to be?

·
Registered
833 Posts
You will find similar observations in other threads.

Here is my summary of the current situation;

1) Stop/Start function allows the car to achieve a particular accreditation for emissions control - Regulations say it should be on at each engine start to maximise the reduction of emissions - as many have found it does not work that well on Kia's once the battery has mysteriously lost 'an internal element' so it shouldn't bother you too much!
2) LKA (and LDW) have to be similarly enabled each time a driver starts the car - in fact my reading of the Regulations (posted in another thread) are that any driving assistance devices, if provided, must always default to On to maintain the cars safety accreditation. Personally LDW (I don't have LKA) does not bother me if I always signal my intention to change lane with the indicators - which disables it.
3) No knowledge of Auto Hold - I have a manual Stonic
4) I think the reason Cruise control cannot be permanently on is again to accommodate different drivers - it could present a possible safety risk if a driver were not aware of it, or its operation, and accidently engaged it.

Historically manufacturers provided these 'safety features' to give them a marketing edge, but they were not regulated in those times which allowed them to be enabled / disabled at will. Now that these features have been incorporated in emission and safety ratings the Regulators have made Regulations that effectively say the objective is to have them on at all times, the main reason for allowing them to be switched off is to allow for failure modes.

I linked to the (offending) Regulations here Lane Keep Assist

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
I am not sure how this fits with your location (I don't recognise the flag), but if you use the search facilty on the forum header, you will find answers to most the question. However within the U.K. (and Europe) the answers to your question are:-
1. No you can't switch it permanently off, you will have to switch it off when you get in the car. Early models did all
2. No you can't switch LKA assist permanently off, it is now deemed a safety feature and is included in Euro NCAP. The feature is to be deemed mandatory on all new cars from 2022 within Europe.
3. No.
4. No.

This may be different in your location,

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
In a word NO...

Welcome to the new world. Where some 1st world problems are there for a reason 😃

Stop/start, no longer have that, but as we now have a HEV engine goes on & off quite often.

I could go with the auto hold, would be nice. But the others are not a issue for me.

LDW & LKA I can live with that's what indicators are for. As well as meaning you stay on your side of the road when needed. It's amazing how many drivers cross the center line when there is no need (read daydreaming, or pretending they are on a race track)

Cruise control, think I have used it once to test "Active" side. Will not get used again till we go on holiday and are on M/Ways. Simply not worth it on local roads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for all the answers. So I live in Slovenia - EU, as one of you didn't know about the flag. I didn't quite catch the hint about the "failing battery element" that hinders start stop function - you can send me private message if this is some hush-hush stuff.

Autohold is also on my car, which is Manual - so it's not DCT only function.

The reason I hate LKA is not because I have tendency to forget my indicators. It is actually putting me in danger. For example there is a part of my daily commute - a certain part of the road has the middle line washed away. So the system looses the line but manages to acquire the line from oncoming traffic, that leads that side of the road into Y shaped path - basically the oncoming lane splits into 2 lanes. One to continue forward and one to go and turn left. Anyway me going from the opposite direction with middle line being erased - the damn LKA system locks on opposite lane S shaped line and suddenly pulls my steering wheel into oncoming traffic. So that is the reason I want this POS off, because I swear if the system causes me to have an accident one day I will sue the living crap out of KIA.

·
Registered
833 Posts
..........I didn't quite catch the hint about the "failing battery element" that hinders start stop function - you can send me private message if this is some hush-hush stuff.
Re; the battery 'element' the background is in these two posts;

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. All in all, there must be a way to deal with all this via proper tools and programming - none of these are mechanical in a sense. Trouble is - these tools are certainly not publicly accessible - just for factory usage. If anything it can be that there is maybe a fuse to be pulled out to disable LKA for example. Shame really - I often see private businesses with programming tools for BMW and VAG cars, that can change and re-program a shit load of stuff like this - no problem. That start-stop is also total hypocrisy - if there was such concern about emissions, they wouldn't give us the button to turn it off each time. Besides - in real-life driving - nobody manages to get those emissions so it's a bunch of crap anyway.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
A internet search found BMW, Mercedes, Volvo's etc., all complaining about being unable to permanently turn off lane keep assist, all recent models. It would appear we will all just have to get used to pushing the LKA button as part of our start procedure. I look forward to the implementation of the speed limiter on new cars from next year. :unsure:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really? On the BMW 7 series G11 - I can turn off LKA in the menu completely off and it stays that way. And start/stop was disabled upon simple request at the dealership. So it's now off by default unless I want to engage it via the button.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
I often see private businesses with programming tools for BMW and VAG cars, that can change and re-program a shit load of stuff like this - no problem.
The issue then becomes Manufacturer warranties. Become void as ECU has been tampered with. Insurance companies may take exception to changes if car is checked after a accident and find that certain "SAFETY" features have been disabled. Which does fall under their assessment of a cars perceived risk factor.

The LKA is not a like a lock on the steering, it is only a gentle tug and easily overcome. If you are finding it so hard to keep car in the right lane, then perhaps look at how you hold the wheel, as even one handed it is easy to keep car on track.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get into car;
Fasten seatbelt to prevent beeps;
Start car;
Press LKA button to disable;
Press ISG button to disable.

Not really too difficult and it'll become routine.

ISG is worth disabling if its below 0C and/or you travel through a series of traffic lights like I do which is 5 sets in 100m, red on one and you're getting red on them all. Other than that it seems reasonable in the way it behaves.

People moaned at first about having to press the clutch in to start cars, now everyone does it automatically anyway.

Give it another 5-7 years and I'll be willing to bet that modifying "safety equipment" on vehicles will be a criminal offence.

I'm thinking in particular of the speed limiters coming in next year - can't see it being more than 5 years after that before you can't override them without modifying the firmware in the ECU.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
People moaned at first about having to press the clutch in to start cars, now everyone does it automatically anyway.

Forgetting about the fact they had to pull the choke out and/or press the accelerator pedal 😂

Reactions: Drwho2

·
Registered
58 Posts
Forgetting about the fact they had to pull the choke out and/or press the accelerator pedal 😂
Aye and choke out too far then its flooded; choke out not far enough on cold day then your battery is going to go flat turning over the starter motor.

Frankly you were usually damn grateful it even started....

Edit - one thing ISG systems have brought petrol car owners is a MUCH better battery system compared to the old lead-acid plates. My daughter's old 2005 Yaris (1L, same as my Ceed SW) has a tiny battery which she always has issues with in winter. Apart from that though her car is so simple mechanically you could keep it going forever provided you look after the basics (oil & filters).

·
Registered
833 Posts
Strange thing is I was taught to check for neutral and push the clutch in before cranking the car over. a) car easier to start without the drag of a cold gearbox and b) extra safety if it had been left in gear. Only in the last 3 years have I actually had to depress the clutch to be allowed to start the car! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Strange thing is I was taught to check for neutral and push the clutch in before cranking the car over. a) car easier to start without the drag of a cold gearbox and b) extra safety if it had been left in gear. Only in the last 3 years have I actually had to depress the clutch to be allowed to start the car! :)
We all were if you go back far enough. Still didn't stop the "wtf is going on?" moment first time you came across the safety feature though ;)

Pretty sure it was my wife's car that first had the feature and it wouldn't turn over at all. Called her to ask if it was still under 6 month warranty to be told "press the clutch in" 🤭

1 - 19 of 19 Posts