Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Apologies if this has already been covered on another thread, but does anyone know if the 2018 Kia Niro PHEV is able to use Andriod Auto Wireless? I have a Pixel 2 phone which does support it, but even if I have wi-fi enabled on the car, it doesn't seem to work unless I have the USB attached.

Thanks

K

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why? At least your battery is kept charged not a biggie conecting a cable :plain:
That is the only plus.

I'm not a "glued to my phone" person, it sits in my pocket and maybe never rings for a couple of days. I generally make short multi stop trips.

Having to remember to get the phone out, plug it in, put it somewhere safe so it won't fly around (the little ledge is too small for my phone) dress the cable so it won't get caught during gear changes - reset the connection/phone as it invariably does not connect correctly first time and then reverse the process to leave the car - if I remember! is the PITA.

As Android Auto does not offer much over the bog standard Nav SW I just stick with that. Automatically firing up the hotspot when I start the car, without taking the phone out of my pocket, and closing the hotspot down when I stop the car the whole process is seamless - the way Android Auto should be.

Only when I'm going on a 2+ hour journey do I need to think about plugging the phone in to charge its battery.

(Stonic / Nokia 8)

·
Registered
252 Posts
That is the only plus.

I'm not a "glued to my phone" person, it sits in my pocket and maybe never rings for a couple of days. I generally make short multi stop trips.

Having to remember to get the phone out, plug it in, put it somewhere safe so it won't fly around (the little ledge is too small for my phone) dress the cable so it won't get caught during gear changes - reset the connection/phone as it invariably does not connect correctly first time and then reverse the process to leave the car - if I remember! is the PITA.

As Android Auto does not offer much over the bog standard Nav SW I just stick with that. Automatically firing up the hotspot when I start the car, without taking the phone out of my pocket, and closing the hotspot down when I stop the car the whole process is seamless - the way Android Auto should be.

Only when I'm going on a 2+ hour journey do I need to think about plugging the phone in to charge its battery.

(Stonic / Nokia 8)

Disagree Android Auto is a big step up from the standard Navigation software, Android auto is not just a navigation app

My cable is always at hand to plug in as is a place to store my phone don't have to be in sigt in fact using AA there is nothing to see on the screen

Plenty of places to put the phone safely never had a problem with Andriod Auto not connecting first time as soon as the cable is plugged in it fires up on the screen I'm able to navigate with Waze and Google Maps Listen to podcasts, internet radio, Spotify, Auido books messages etc

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
As someone who uses android auto all the time in the car. I have a usb cable connected all the time and just connect the phone up once in the car.

TBH, unless you have a car with a charging pad and a compatible phone. Wireless AA will kill your phone in short time running any navigation app.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As someone who uses android auto all the time in the car. I have a usb cable connected all the time and just connect the phone up once in the car.

TBH, unless you have a car with a charging pad and a compatible phone. Wireless AA will kill your phone in short time running any navigation app.

This just plug the cable into the phone and it's up and running no problem certainly a step up from car navigation systems

·
Registered
396 Posts
Disagree Android Auto is a big step up from the standard Navigation software, ..............

................ never had a problem with Andriod Auto not connecting first time as soon as the cable is plugged in it fires up on the screen I'm able to navigate with Waze and Google Maps Listen to podcasts, internet radio, Spotify, Auido books messages etc
Horses for courses I guess.

The standard Kia Nav App, along with the WWW/WiFi speed camera and traffic updates meet my general navigation needs - I'm not on the road daily or long distances.

Spotify/audio books/podcasts aren't things I would listen to while driving on my short journeys. Anything I want to listen to I have on a USB drive anyway.

As the area around me is not that well served with mobile data coverage relaying on mobile data for maps is part of my irritation. I'd probably be converted to Android Auto (or at least make more effort) if Google allowed Here we Go to access it as Here we Go do allow you to have downloaded off line maps for the whole country on your phone. Of course Here we Go is a competitor to Google's Map and Waze APPs so I guess it will never happen.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
if Google allowed Here we Go to access it as Here we Go do allow you to have downloaded off line maps for the whole country on your phone. Of course Here we Go is a competitor to Google's Map and Waze APPs so I guess it will never happen.
My data usage when driving is next to nothing. That is with waze running all the time.

Example of data usage.
16/07, which was the start of my holiday and was a trip from Leeds to Brighton. Which would mean a lot of map updates. 160.77MB. Remember this also includes all my other social media updates (5 pictures from various locations) And other usage.
Add in Waze is also based on user updates from roadworks, traffic delays and other events. So is drawing data to keep upto date all the time.

So I think that data usage is non event with google based mapping apps.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

On how to get maps to your phone.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Here is a tutorial how to make it work on non-Pixel phones:

They say it only works wit non-OEM versons, but I will try it on the 2019. Ceed anyway, because the unit supports WiFi. Might be it works.
Took the link out as it did not work. (seems / on web address causes 404 error.

https://www.xda-developers.com/wireless-android-auto-head-unit-hack

To start, you’ll need either a TV stick or another Android phone. You can use root to simplify the process when using a TV stick, but we recommend using another phone for simplicity’s sake. The premise is simple – you connect an old phone or TV stick to the Android Auto head unit, and that device then receives commands from your actual phone. You’re effectively using the spare phone as a forwarder for commands.

Next, you need to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot on your main (master) device and connect the slave device to it.
Now plug the slave device into your Android Auto head unit.
Select AAGateway and tap “Always.”
Next, set up the Android Auto head unit server on your master device. You can do that by enabling the developer settings in the Android Auto application and starting it there.
If you have issues, try enabling USB debugging on the slave device.
So 2 phones, a bit of fiddling around and hope it works....:surprise:

You will really have to leave one phone connected in the car (nice risk) via cable and hope that the WiFi hot spot app works each time.

Far easier to simply connect one phone to a USB cable and off you go. Especially given the update to AA in the last weeks.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Dont know why the link is not working. You got the wrong link.

Heres a second try: https://www.xda-developers.com/wireless-android-auto-any-android-phone/

You do not need two phones.

Thanks.

Just tried.
Running same version as video. Using a Huawei P20 Pro
Activated Dev Option in Android Auto.
Sadly no option for "Show Wireless Projection Option"

Might dig out a old HTC phone to see if that works. >> nope but...

Just done some more digging

Requirements:

You must be on the latest Google Play Services beta. You can join the beta program and grab the update through the Play Store, or you can sideload the latest beta APK from a site like APKMirror. If you sideload the app, be sure to grab the version that corresponds to your device’s architecture and Android version.
Your smartphone to be running at least Android 9 Pie. According to the OP of the Reddit thread, Android 8 Oreo does not appear to work as the method didn’t work on his son’s Moto Z2 Play.
Your head unit must support wireless Android Auto. Most built-in head units don’t support it, but plenty of after-market ones do.
Kia have already mentioned that at present head units don't. But given the std nav has a option for WiFi to allow for traffic updates. I wonder if this is true?

But would be great if someone could get working, just to prove a point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, it doesen't work at all. I've tried it using mi Xiaomi A2 with Android 9p. Everything was set up corectly on the phone, but the headunit want connect via WiFi. I don't know if a update can fix this in the future.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Well, it doesen't work at all. I've tried it using mi Xiaomi A2 with Android 9p. Everything was set up corectly on the phone, but the headunit want connect via WiFi. I don't know if a update can fix this in the future.

Did you get the "Show Wireless Projection Option" in Andriod Auto?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, I did. You have to allow Google Play Services as a beta tester on your Google account and then select developer options in the Android Auto app. This is the only way to see the "Show Wireless Projection" option, unless you own a Pixel phone.
You also have to have Android 9 (p) installed on your smartphone.
After setting everything up, just reboot the phone and then continue setting up Android Auto in the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Thanks.

Don't have beta tester option. (too much other stuff to do)

Just wanted to try to see if it would work.

I do remember KCS saying that the current head units dot not support AA wireless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have kia niro 2017 touring and one plus 7 pro i joined the beta tester and allowed wireless projection in the developer option in android auto app but when i removed the cable the connection disconnect like there is no wireless option even though i have rebooted the phone! after the recent update from google any one had a luck to connect wirelessly ?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Yesterday, I read an article about the forthcoming (not necessarily in the UK) K5 replacement for the Optima saloon which comes equipped with wireless AA and ACP. I think that it claimed it was a first for Hyundai/KIA in a production car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts