Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Dealers shouldn't be charging for the firmware update, as the old version is allegedly responsible for the head unit causing conflict on the network bus.

I've been using mine for a couple of weeks now, and I will post an update soon on my best practices. I need to investigate the connectivity between the phone and the head unit which has started taking several attempts to initiate.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had issues with my old Samsung s5 phone, sometimes I had to unplug and replug it in a couple of times to get it to work,
I've now changed to a Motorola phone and I've had no issues at all and it works like a dream.
As for charging I do believe the software update is free and they only charge for the map update.
My local dealer did the software and maps free of charge so no cost for me.˜‘�Edited by: Gazza1970

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bit annoyed with Google, they're being very proprietary over giving access to Android Auto to other app makers. I had wanted to use CoPilot or Sygic for navigation but neither company can get the accreditation needed to get their apps onto 'auto'. Google maps is fine but offline maps cease to work if not regularly updated.

No issues so far connecting my OnePlus phone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re Google Maps Offline - the offline data is only valid for 30 days, Google say this is so you are always up to date with maps and places on the maps. On my phone I get prompted when my offline maps need updating so I can get them up to date over WiFi before they become redundant

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just got a new Soul Connect Plus for the wife, asked three times for the update to be applied and it's not the versions on here. Have given the details on here and told them to find it! :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is an old thread - but relevant for my car which I just purchased used.

I have a 2015 Soul EV. How do I get the latest software update for the naigation unit? I want to use the Android Auto feature.

If it is a Main Dealer only update, then what's the based term or phrase to ask them so they do it and how can I get it for free (or really cheap) ?

Please advise
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
This is an old thread - but relevant for my car which I just purchased used.

I have a 2015 Soul EV. How do I get the latest software update for the naigation unit? I want to use the Android Auto feature.

If it is a Main Dealer only update, then what's the based term or phrase to ask them so they do it and how can I get it for free (or really cheap) ?

Please advise
Thanks
Yes it really is a KIA dealer only option.
If you can post some screen shots like above of versions you have. It will help.

But there is no magic phrase that will get updates for free. It is basically asking asking them to check the infotainment system and asking them to update it. Standard Kia charge is £25 for map updates. Due this years at some point in the next couple of months.
You might get system done for free if you have a service done. Which TBH, given you still possibly have 2 years left on warranty, providing it has been serviced in accordance with Kia's schedule (caveats may apply on certain claims)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes it really is a KIA dealer only option.
If you can post some screen shots like above of versions you have. It will help.

But there is no magic phrase that will get updates for free. It is basically asking asking them to check the infotainment system and asking them to update it. Standard Kia charge is £25 for map updates. Due this years at some point in the next couple of months.
You might get system done for free if you have a service done. Which TBH, given you still possibly have 2 years left on warranty, providing it has been serviced in accordance with Kia's schedule (caveats may apply on certain claims)
Thanks
Photo of the current software versions attached

- deleted - (all working now : see later posts)

We only just got the car recently and service was done by the dealer as part of the sale. Not expecting/wanting to do another service until next year.
It's all still within the 7-year Kia warranty - yes.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Was it purchased from a Kia dealer?

As only a kia dealer would have access to updates.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Your image shows the map version as EUR.09 and I think the current version (2019) is EUR.11 which suggests its a couple of years out.
From my experience media system updates are not part of the service, dealers do not update the media software automatically, you have to ask for it to be done. And check that if you ask for an update it adds the features that you want, Android Auto/Apple Carplay is not available on all models, even after an update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was it purchased from a Kia dealer?

As only a kia dealer would have access to updates.
Yes - from a Kia main dealer. Same one that sold the car when new, did all servicing and then back again sold used to me.

They are not my most local dealer. So ideally would like to try get my local one to do the update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your image shows the map version as EUR.09 and I think the current version (2019) is EUR.11 which suggests its a couple of years out.
From my experience media system updates are not part of the service, dealers do not update the media software automatically, you have to ask for it to be done. And check that if you ask for an update it adds the features that you want, Android Auto/Apple Carplay is not available on all models, even after an update.
Thanks

Is there a list or something that tells me what the latest versions of software and firmware is currently available?

I am pretty sure my 2015 Soul EV can have the update for Android Auto as I have found posts of others that have it (on this thread and other sites). My main interest in updating the unit's software is for Android Auto support.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
I would send KCS (Kia Customer services) a PM (conversation) asking them if you have the latest, or if it can be updated.
They are best placed to know.
For latest (2019) versions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would send KCS (Kia Customer services) a PM (conversation) asking them if you have the latest, or if it can be updated.
They are best placed to know.
For latest (2019) versions.
Thanks very much. I will message them.

I have seen owners in North America able to download the software themselves to a SD Card and complete the update themselves.
Why cannot we do that here?
In fact, a few years ago I think people in the UK did - have seen on another forum - but those download links (Kia's own site, I believe) no longer work.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
You can download the software from various sources. But it is not a approved method.
But as far as the UK goes the official route is via dealer.

We did have some hope a while ago as a official Kia site appeared that allowed user to update themselves. But have since found out that Europe was added in error and has now been removed.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts