Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's here - ANDROID AUTO on the Soul.

Took my Mixx in today and they completed the firmware update.

You get another icon in the system menu for connectivity, go in to it and switch Android Auto on.

I had already downloaded the Android Auto app from the Play Store, so I just connected my phone with the USB cable to the car's USB port.

The phone automatically went through a few setup screens and updated some of it's installed apps.

Unit then kicks in to Android Auto.

Tried out Google Maps, and Google Music.

You can talk to apps via the steering wheel voice command button.

Google Music is fairly adaptive to what you say to it, ie. "play some Queen" will play a random Queen track, or you can be specific like "play Queen Don't stop me now", or less so i.e. "play Don't stop me now". Sometimes the less specific requested may end up with versions you hadn't quite expected or knew existed!

I'm downloading Spotify to my phone now for a play about. More updates to come - in the meantime please chip in with your experiences of Android Auto on the Kia Soul.

[TUBE]7og3Rg9dysk[/TUBE]

·
Registered
288 Posts
I emailed Kia to ask about Apple play after I had my soul mixx updated last month and they've informed me that Apple play is still in development and they hope to roll it out at the start of next year.
Now that you can run goggle maps on the satnav screen then I don't think I will bother updating my maps anymore and will just use this instead .

Edited by: Gazza1970

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've had two days to play with it so far on route and back from the airport. Firstly. Streaming music is all well and good but eats incredible amounts of data, more than you think. If your on PAYG forget it! However, I have had loads of fun and decided to switch to an unlimited data plan.

The music is via Spotify, or Google Music. I have explored Spotify mostly as I have an account with playlists already in it.

The voice to system interface is in either case driven by the Google Android operating system of your phone, so recognition is sometimes interesting through to just weird when it comes to results played. This will either be good fun, or dam right annoying.

It is, in Spotify, returning too many versions of songs which you really don't want.

E.g. "Play New Order Blue Monday" as the command. Response comes back with a Sunfly Karaoke backing track.

But on other occasions when you give it things you think it can't possibly do, it does.

E.g. "Play Ella in Hamburg" (I have the vinyl album), and it starts playing the opening track no problems.
Oddly though in Spotify there seems to be random ability to skip through tracks in albums/playlists. I can't work out whether its me or the software.

As for rude words, you can snigger all you like and sometimes you get rude songs and audio stories too which will amuse your passengers....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is android Auto available on all systems or just the advanced ones? I have a Soul Connect, so small screen and fewer speakers, would love to get Android Auto though if it is available

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, so I watched the video now (yes, should have watched it first) and that seems to suggest Android Auto will only be in cars with SatNav - ie not mine! Is that correct? I could make use of the text messaging, dialling and search without my car knowing where I am, and as my phone would know where I am couldnt I still use the mapping?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The best way to find out is to send a pm to KIA service on the forums with your proper name and car reg, ask them if there's an update available. Might take a couple of days to get an answer.

I had my car in this week for a recall check and to get the update done, it took (they say) 4 1/2 hours to download the update from KIA and they ran out of time to do the installation so I'm back again next week for another try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Troute, hadnt realised Kia Service were on here, will find them and drop them a note

Re your update, shame the dealer didnt think to download the software before you arrived, you know, like they order parts before you arrive....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Couldnt find a way to send a PM, so sent a message via the hia.co.uk website linking to this thread, hopefully that will work

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you don't get any luck then send them a tweet on Twitter asking is it available for you car,
they reply virtually straight away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the tip

the auto reply email says they try to reply within 24 hours, so I will give them a couple of days before resorting to Twitter, but worth knowig they respond quickly to Twitter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heard back from Kia, Android Auto is only available for devices with navigation - so not available for me

Quick reply though, and they did point out how I could upgrade to a nav system!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very annoying day. After booking my vehicle in for a service, recall work & Android Auto update, arrived to be told that no-one has ever heard of Android Auto & they don't have an update for my 2015 Soul Mixx.

I've printed off the forum thread to return to them & hopefully someone will get themselves up to speed with this.

Does anyone know the firmware number?

·
Registered
108 Posts
TheRedOne said:
Re your update, shame the dealer didnt think to download the software before you arrived, you know, like they order parts before you arrive....

Yeah, I would have said but I don't want to *iss them off before they do the job. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sidz their should be a software update for your head unit which then adds android auto.
most dealers haven't a clue about android auto,
Canterbury Kia who did mine didn't know anything about what was in the update. ( it's just another software update that's all they know)
if there not sure then get them to ring canterbury Kia to ask about the head unit update as they did mine and a good few others now or you could get hold of Kia uk and ask them what dealership can do it as your local one hasn't a clue .Edited by: Gazza1970

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sidz I've been out and got the info off mine,

Software version ,ST.PS.EUR.E492.151102

Firmware version.MICOM.ST.PS.EUR.3129.150825
SUBM.ST.PS.BDS.1038.150413

Device ID.1879557432

Navi app ver,ST04.EUR.KMC.151030.81403

Map ver.EUR.80.41.44.705.001.1(D.B1)Edited by: Gazza1970

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an update! Kia Reading have just called & apologised for their error in not offering me the update. They have now confirmed that they can perform the update & they will do it free of charge, as a goodwill gesture. They're also giving me a loan car & a small gesture of compensation for my inconvenience.I have to say, they have stepped up & made me a happy customer again!
I couldn't have done it without being armed with the great info you've supplied, so thanks again. The power of owner forums has won again

1 - 20 of 46 Posts