Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced their Android Auto or Apple CarPlay disconnecting randomly occasionally?

I've had it happen a couple times now over the past few weeks with different cables and also on an Android Phone and an iPhone. No apparent pattern as to when it disconnects (it just goes back to showing "Phone Projection" option on the menu screen when it disconnects.

Quite annoying when you're reliant on AA/ACP for navigation in unfamiliar places.

A physical disconnect and reconnect seems to fix it, and it sometimes would then stay on for the rest of the journey or repeatedly disconnect again.

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone else experienced their Android Auto or Apple CarPlay disconnecting randomly occasionally?

I've had it happen a couple times now over the past few weeks with different cables and also on an Android Phone and an iPhone. No apparent pattern as to when it disconnects (it just goes back to showing "Phone Projection" option on the menu screen when it disconnects.

Quite annoying when you're reliant on AA/ACP for navigation in unfamiliar places.

A physical disconnect and reconnect seems to fix it, and it sometimes would then stay on for the rest of the journey or repeatedly disconnect again.

Cheers
100% echo this - I’m having the exact same issues and I’ve also changed the cables too and still continues.
I’m beginning to think it might be a dodgy USB port so will try the USB-C port and see how I get on.
I also seem to be having issues (only a couple of occasions) where the front speakers cut out and only play in the back then they automatically start playing in the front again. Has this happened to you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100% echo this - I’m having the exact same issues and I’ve also changed the cables too and still continues.
I’m beginning to think it might be a dodgy USB port so will try the USB-C port and see how I get on.
While I'm sorry you also have the same issue @Scott191 I'm glad i'm not the only one as a random intermittent fault will be so hard to get the dealer to do anything about!

Ah interesting I hadn't realised the USB-C port also works for AA / ACP, thought it was purely for charging. Will find a suitable cable to give that a go and see if it improves things.

I also seem to be having issues (only a couple of occasions) where the front speakers cut out and only play in the back then they automatically start playing in the front again. Has this happened to you?
I am unable to tell specifically if the front vs back speakers cut out unfortunately as i'm unable to tell which directions sounds come from very well as I'm 100% deaf in one ear 😅.

There was one occasion where the bass from Android was very "tinny" and completely fine on iPhone, but that seems to be the Android phone's problem as a reboot of the phone resolved that.

I also had an issue where the GPS positioning of the car on AA was off on the next street (i.e the car was drawn parallel to the road i was actually driving on) but voice commands were still 100% accurate to the journey I was making. I assume that was an issue with the car's internet connectivity as the GPS time was also off by 1 hour at the time. Issue seemed to go away after I left a specific area.

·
Registered
2022 Sportage GT-Line 1.6T GDi ISG (Infra Red)
36 Posts
I've not experienced this. I use AA every day to and from work (30-45 mins) and I've also used it on 3 hour trips before too. Spotify + Google Maps on the whole time.
I use the USB-A port to the USB-C on my phone, haven't tried USB-C-to-C yet.

GPS is also perfect for me and I've only had issues with the built-in map, not with Google Maps. Again I use this every time as I like to know the traffic situation and my ETA.

Really strange that it happens for both AA and CarPlay, and it sounds like you've tried most things I would. I'd say it's not normal, or rather it's not correct, and my car is proof that it's not an inherent fault in every Sportage, and thus there is hope that either a software update or firmware update should fix it.

Check your software version and I'll check mine and see if it's the same version :)

Edit: Worth pointing out after reading iooi's response below - My vehicle does not have the wireless charging pad and perhaps the phone dislikes being charged both ways at once, and cuts off connection to the cable or something?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure that only USB A is the link to the head unit.

Is phone sat on wireless charging pad? Does phone feel really hot when it disconnects?
When not specifically charging I have the phones at an angle in the slot so it does not charge wireless too on top of the wired charging (not sure if that's the best way?). Didn't notice phone being hot as when it happened it happened fairly early in the journey.

Another factor could be that most of the times it's disconnected randomly there was a cool box plugged into the cigarette lighter point. Wonder if the draw from that makes it more likely to disconnect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check your software version and I'll check mine and see if it's the same version :)

Edit: Worth pointing out after reading iooi's response below - My vehicle does not have the wireless charging pad and perhaps the phone dislikes being charged both ways at once, and cuts off connection to the cable or something?
Thanks @ironcxctus my software version and firmware versions are

Software version

NQ5e_H.EUR.55W_L.001.001.211214

Firmware version

NQ5e H.EUR.02.211208.MICOM

Will also try and see whether it happens more often when deliberately charging both ways (tbh the wireless charging pad is abit redundant as it's likely to be plugged in if I bother putting my phone there! And the USB c port there does fast charging too if I really needed a charge but not android auto)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi I read in another thread that only USB-A is for Apple CarPlay and android auto.
And that the usbc is for charge only.
Have you tried software update?
Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts

Software version

Firmware version

Will also try and see whether it happens more often when deliberately charging both ways (tbh the wireless charging pad is abit redundant as it's likely to be plugged in if I bother putting my phone there! And the USB c port there does fast charging too if I really needed a charge but not android auto)
latest version is from 11-02-22.

·
Registered
2022 Sportage GT-Line 1.6T GDi ISG (Infra Red)
36 Posts

Software version

Firmware version

Looks like I'm on the same version without issues. I still suspect something strange with the wireless charging pad as that's the main difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like I'm on the same version without issues. I still suspect something strange with the wireless charging pad as that's the main difference.
Thanks @ironcxctus re: version check!

I did test on last drive allowing the Android phone to rest as fully as possible on the wireless pad while plugged in and it did not disconnect (actually quite difficult to place a large android phone while plugged in on the mat!), no issues this time but given it's been so intermittent could just be a lucky go.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Happens to me also, regardless of the mobile I use or the cable...one of my pet hates about the Kia..it's connectivity is not as good as others I've had previously. I'd rather have less useless toys and a system that works 100% of the time lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is anyone still having these issues? I plugged my iPhone 13 pro max in this morning and it was connected for about 1 minute then disconnected. I disconnected the phone then reconnected and it lasted around 30 seconds then I just gave up. I have tried multiple different cables and the same happens. I also tried to avoid leaning the phone against the USB port (GT line here so don’t have charging pad) and I still get issues. At a bit of a loss on what to do next, any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Which version IOS?

Any help.
Phone is fully up to date but think I will check the cars software version and see if there is an update available on that. Cheers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts