Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just cleanedmy car first time this year! With the muck gone I have noticed that all of my alloy wheels are showing (slight) corrosion to varying degrees
They were all perfect before so this has occured over the space of a few months.
I know that this has been raised as a problem before so will take it to Kia Swindon (Fishbros) tomorrow to let them have a look. Will keep you posted.

If KCS are reading this I would be interested to know their view on this problem ie is it common?

Chris

·
Registered
107 Posts
chris.castel said:
Hello. Just cleanedmy car first time this year! With the muck gone I have noticed that all of my alloy wheels are showing (slight) corrosion to varying degrees
They were all perfect before so this has occured over the space of a few months.
I know that this has been raised as a problem before so will take it to Kia Swindon (Fishbros) tomorrow to let them have a look. Will keep you posted.

If KCS are reading this I would be interested to know their view on this problem ie is it common?

Chris
If this is the first time you've cleaned your car this year you might just be giving KCS an out.

With all the salt and other cr*p on the roads at this time of year I try to wash mine weekly or at least once a fortnight.

Have you tried a wheel cleaner on them?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
This is a known problem with machined and lacquered wheels. In the winter months you really need to wash the salt off the wheels every week to keep the corrosion at bay.

I have also have Chrysler that is notorious for the same problem. It not unknown for some owners to have a new set of wheels every six months. Mine have lasted nearly three years and I'm convinced it is because I wash them regularly even if I don't wash the rest of the car.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Got to agree, cars washed every week rain or shine. Just got in from doing it right this second. Wheels, wheel arches and lower sills are cleaner now than out the factory. Its not just a wheel thing....Dirt and stone can wear away at bushes, ball joints, brakes.. I brought the car with the intension of saving a few quid on repairs and I'm going to stick to it. Only time I've not washed it, once a week, since semprember was when there was 6inches of snow and the ground....just microfiber toweled the body down.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have to say that I do think it is pretty poor that car manufacturers insist on fitting wheels with a surface finish that, quite frankly, is not fit for purpose. If the bodywork corroded after six months there would be a public outcry. I don't see why wheels should be any different.

The manufacturer of the prone to corrosion wheels on my Chrysler also manufactures the KIA ones. I'm surprised they are still in business.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I have to say I don't agree with the wash every week or else approach. I would like to wash my wheels every week but that is not possible. I have had many cars and this is the first that has showed alloy corrosion in this way i.e. without any surface damage or 'kerbing' to start the problem.The corrsoion is under the laquer too. I shall take this up with my dealer and let you know what happens but on a 9 month car this is poor.

Chris

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually Mr Kia from Feb 2012 has it spot on with regard to the problem I have.

'..If it looks like little lightning bolts in a milky sort of colour then go to dealer to get them replaced
You may find them starting to appear near the wall of the tyre also'

There is a whole forum post on alloy wheel problems. Chris

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
chris.castel said:
Thanks everyone. I have to say I don't agree with the wash every week or else approach.

That's why your wheels are corroding.

As I said above though, it shouldn't happen. If lacquered wheels can't be made not to corrode prematurely, they should not fit them. Take them back and complain. If it happens to me, I will.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds like a trip back to the dark old days of the poor quality wheels punted out by nissan and toyota back in the 80s and 90s.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had mine all replaced last spring, I noticed white marks appearing afer the winter, but it took about 6 weeks to get them because they were on back order,I amuseing ACF50 ( recomended by one of the guys on the forum) on them this year just while the salt is on the road and up to now they look ok

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife's Soul Burnerwas delivered new fitted withthe standard black paint/polished 18inch alloys. The laquer on the polished parts began showing surface cracks before the car's first anniversary. The wheels had never been "kerbed" and were otherwise ingood condition.However, when the matter was raised withthe supplying dealership, theirattitude was both unhelpful and disinterested.

It doesn't take long for the weather to penetrate oncethe laquer coat has been broken. With time,the laquer coatwill split/crack furtherand eventually peel off, followed bycorrosionof the polished wheel surface due to the subsequent oxidation .Therefore, we waited until the vehicle came up for replacementtyres and had all fourwheels fully powder coated before the new tyres were fitted.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HI. I said I would report back. So Kia in Swindon took photos of the corrosion. Basically they will replace the alloys or refurbish depending on what KCS say. So I'm happy that they didn't fob me off and were very professional. They clearly recognised that this corrosion should not have occured (it's under the surface of the lacquer) and certainly not ona car less than a year old. So the 7 year warranty seems sound but I wish the alloys were better quality in the first place! Still the last time I had a warrenty claim (on an audi A6) it took 6 months to convince Audi there was a problem before my gearbox finally exploded at a cost of 3K!!

Chris

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'm sure this link has been posted before, but it might be useful leverage if you have problems getting new wheels...

<h1 ="big" style="font-size: 24px; line-height: 1.22em; color: rgb79, 90, 109; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial; margin-top: 0pt; margin-right: 0pt; margin-bottom: 3px; margin-left: 0pt; text-align: left; ">Kia Sportage</h1><h2 ="articlestrapline" style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 15px; margin-top: 2px !imant; margin-right: 0px !imant; margin-bottom: 8px !imant; margin-left: 0px !imant; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; text-align: left; ">Dealer service has really impressed after wheel problem on crossover</h2><br style="line-height: 1.22em; ">Read more:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/longtermtests/272359/kia_sportage.html#ixzz1ncFCr1dl

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Techno.

IMHO this is not about how many times you clean your alloys. It is a manufacturing flaw and if you have wheels with this issue eventually they will corrode because the surface protection is flaking away. But on the plus side Kia seem to sort it out under warranty.

Chris

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
It is a manufacturing flaw... but washing the salt off your wheels will slow the rate of corrosion.

Mind you, if we all turn up at the dealers every six months demanding new alloys, KIA should strart to realise that there is a problem. It didn't work with Chrysler though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My partner's Nissan Quashqai (N-Tec spec) has near identical alloy wheels and after 2 years they are in perfect condition and she rarely washes the car. At the end of the day, if the surface has flaked due to this manufacturing flaw, corrosion will follow and is therefore inevitable. I hope the new weels have this issue sorted. I will talk to the dealer. Otherwise it will impact the car's resale value when it comes to p/x or selling. Techo - it sounds like you wheels are fine?

Chris

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Yes, they are... so far.

Although I advocate regularly washing the wheels to keep corrosion at bay, I also think it is unacceptable on a modern car.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that the problem will be fixed quickly and I suspect that the replacement wheels will just be asusceptibleto corrosion as the ones they replace. I am considering a second set of wheels for the winter. Powder coated ones.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi GUY,

Just had a call today. Kia will replace all 4 alloy wheels under warranty. The wheels have been ordered and will be due in 5 days. Sorry you are having so much trouble getting replacements.

Can only sing praises for my dealer in Swindon. They fixed the noisy sunroof, did all the up-dates and the vaccum pump recall and now the wheels with no hassle! Brilliant.

Chris

1 - 20 of 530 Posts