Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, noticed corroding on the alloys wheels on my 5 month old Sportage.
smalls flexs,of white. very disappointing, the car is great, but I chose top spec model because I loved the wheels.
I hope it is covered by the guarentee?? Any help??
Cheers

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It should be covered under warranty.
A few people have had successful warranty claims for the same fault.

It seems that diamond cut alloys are probably not up to the job in the UK.

I'm afraid that unless KIA do something to rectify this issue, then it's something that we'll have to live with for the next 7 years.

My Chrysler suffered from the exact same problem, and had 4 sets of wheels under it's 3 year warranty.

Get it in sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you venture onto page 2 of this forum section you will find 3 pages of information on corroding alloys

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
ashtons99 said:
If you venture onto page 2 of this forum section you will find 3 pages of information on corroding alloys

Yup, I reckon it ought to be a sticky. It's a problem that is going to affect many, if not most, '3' spec owners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lennyboy said:
Hi Everyone, noticed corroding on the alloys wheels on my 5 month old Sportage.
smalls flexs,of white. very disappointing, the car is great, but I chose top spec model because I loved the wheels.
I hope it is covered by the guarentee?? Any help??
Cheers
You shouldn't have any problems claiming under warranty - it's a well known problem at Kia. I had my KX3 Nav at the dealer on Thursday so that they could take pics of the corrosion to make a warranty claim with Kia and they said they'd already had to replace several others (i.e Kia's and other cars with similar alloys) and it was likely that even the replacements would have to be replaced after next winter! So your 7 years worth of warranty could mean 7 new sets of alloys!

Funnily enough though - I've already had one alloy replaced last October after someone reversed into the side of me and it's the only alloy that's survived the winter!
Strangely that's also the only alloy that hasn't been Supaguard treated (because I couldn't be bothered adding this to the insurance claim!) so a whole lot of good paying for Supaguard has done me!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Everyone! Just been told by Kia, that they will replace all 4 alloys wheels
Nice to get good service

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not all 5?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
MaybeKIA said:
Not all 5?
Why would they replace one that's unaffected.
So they could put it back in to stock and give it someone esle.?

Sorry to dissapoint, but my past experience tells me that this problem will never be resolved.

The 4 replacements, will require replacing agian next year, and the year after, and again after this.

In fact, have new wheels in October, and you'll be back in March.

And when the 7 years is up, then your'e on your own.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Had mine replaced on my FE 12months ago no problem

·
Registered
145 Posts
keat99 said:
MaybeKIA said:
Not all 5?
Why would they replace one that's unaffected.
So they could put it back in to stock and give it someone esle.?

Sorry to dissapoint, but my past experience tells me that this problem will never be resolved.

The 4 replacements, will require replacing agian next year, and the year after, and again after this.

In fact, have new wheels in October, and you'll be back in March.

And when the 7 years is up, then your'e on your own.
They'd replace the unaffected one as it is part of a faulty batch, surely? Newer vehicles seem to have different coating on the wheels, going by comments on here. That suggests an acknowledgement of a fault.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
There's no denying it's a fault, but I doubt very much that Kia would replace the spare unless it's showing signs of the actual fault if i'm honest (or call me synical).

We went through this with the Chrysler.

Even after talking at great lengths with Chrysler, and how they assured me that the new wheels were different, after 8 months, the problem re-occurred.

And the fact that the later ones look different, don't let that fool you into a false sense of security. We had this also.

Take a look on the Chrysler 300c forum, there's a thread on there which has been going for about 3 years.

I'll stake my todger on it, that it's not a faulty batch, but its the fact that they are laqured diamond cut wheels. Unlike powder coated wheels, they are not up to the job of coping with our weather.

Oh, and to make matters worse, I've heard someone mention that the Sportage wheels are coming from the same manufacturer of the 300c wheels. (not sure how accurate this is though)

I'm sorry if this is going to dissapoint a few owners, but you'll be plagued with this problem for the entirity of the warranty.

I'm confident of that.

My philosophy ??,

Stuff it, I've got 7 years before it becomes a problem, I'll have a new shiney set every year until then.

Edited by: keat99

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi my sportage is kx 3 with nav and it the best car i have ever owned, I wash it ever week, clean the wheels & treat with uptmost respect . Then to my horror, all the wheels have white flecks where you can see the alluminium wheels corroding underneath the lacquer. I took it to my dealer, in his word he said they might not change all four wheel we will have too see. I am a heavy goods vehicle technician & have repaired all types of vehicles over the last 22 years. I have always serviced my own car, never broke down or had a car fail a mot. When i bought the car the seven year warranty seemed unbelievable , but if kia dont change the wheels, then the warranty is not worth absolutley nothing.Has anybody else had this problem? I am hoping kia will stand by their promise.

thanks phil cut

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hi Phil Cut

Don't panic. The wheels will get replaced under warranty.

They can't refuse, it's just at what point Kia agree that the corrosion has started.

Don't worry about a few white flecks, once the rot sets in, the corrosion is quite rapid.

In the space of 6 weeks, the Chrysler ones went from white flecks, to large patches.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Keat99,

It is a design fault as you rightly point out. It's intrinsic to the nature of laquered diamond cut wheels. But I am more optimistic. The wheels replaced on my KX-3are different. The laquered machined surface is gone and replaced with what looks very much like a powder coat finish. From a distance they look the same but the shiney machine finish that looked so cool in bright day light is gone

Still they look smart and I would rather have this more robust look than corroded wheels!!

I'll try and put some pictures up. The ones on Kia Optima are the same.

Chris

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I'd be interested to see the pics, and be equally interested to find out in a years time if the problem is resolved.
Considering my car is 2 weeks old, and has a stickly label under the bonnet which would indicate that it's about 5 weeks old at the most, then I wonder why mine doesn't have these so called powder coated wheels.

You'd like to think that if Kia had identified and rectified a fault, that a brand new car would come out of the factory without the fault in the first place.

In the Chrysler scenario, Chrysler UK were exchanging the wheels with refurb units, and not brand new wheels.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yep. They now look like my partner's Nissan Qashqai and hers are 3 years old with no problems!

So if Nissan can do it so can Kia I guess. In fact, if it were not for small styling differences the wheels would be identical. And you see an awful lot of Nissans on the road

Chris

Edited by: chris.castel

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
any chance of a photo chris.
PM me one and I'll upload an old style and new style next to each other.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi just had my sportage kx3 in for new rims, thought they would be different but they areexactlythe same. So have kia changed the wheels for the same stock of wheels which are not capabable of last 10months without corroding. For me to go through the same next year or have they fix the problem, would be nice for kia customer support to ask the question of there warranty department. i have only drove the car a couple of mile it feels as if the wheels have not been balanced. Will give it a good run out this week end.

thanks phil

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bear in mind the alloy wheel manufacturer who supply Kia must have 1000s of these wheels still on stock. They are not just going to weigh them in irrespective of the bouyancy of the scrap metal market. Likewise it is doubtful they will have gone in for a new manufacture of different design wheels. I think they will just keep renewing with the same wheel until the warranty runs out then the cars will look like the old toyotas you see with crusty alloys

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hmm. So you think Kia will replace tens of thousands of wheels over a seven year period because of a known defect rather than make a minor process change? These wheels are also similar to the trims on the new Optima so you also have to factor production of these cars in too. Again would they produce hundreds of thousands of Optimas with a defective design of wheel? As I've suggested many times on this forum, similar style wheels can be made that don't corrode e.g. Nissan QashQai N-Tech. Time will tell and I'll keep an eye on my new wheels! 3 months on and no signs of corrosion (yet).

1 - 20 of 80 Posts