Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with GT Line alloy. My start showing signs of corroding from the inside out after only 6 month. My local dealer sent photos of to Kia but the covid hit. When I took my car for its yearly service once the dealer reopened I asked only to be told Kia had rejected the photos so the dealer retook the photos and sent them off again. When Kia got back in touch they said it was wear and tear. I have never had a car with alloys that showed the signs after just 6 month. My car is now about 18 month old and every wheel shows signs of corroding. See pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just search the forum for 'white worm' or 'diamond cut alloys', plenty to read. Some dealers have managed to get wheels refurbed under warranty but most now just get a rejection from kia, exactly as you have received.
There was talk about someone getting an engineers report on the source of the corrosion but nothing so far.
Diamond cut alloys are renowned for this type of corrosion. I plan to have mine refurbed when they get bad enough, it's going to be 400 quid but everything I read suggests I will get nowhere via a warranty claim.

·
Registered
110 Posts
After spending around £150,000 on Kia cars, I had my claim for corroded wheels rejected. I told their customer service manger that's the last they will see of my money. I going for a VW Tourag when the lock down is over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I must have been lucky - I used to own a 61 plate Sportage 3 with diamond cut alloys (replaced 2 years ago for a Sorento) - full set replaced 3 times under warranty by Kia (thanks to Boongate Kia in Peterborough) - each set lasted about 18 months

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I must have been lucky - I used to own a 61 plate Sportage 3 with diamond cut alloys (replaced 2 years ago for a Sorento) - full set replaced 3 times under warranty by Kia (thanks to Boongate Kia in Peterborough) - each set lasted about 18 months
My last car a Sportage I had 3 wheels replace no problem, just got a Sorento and all 4 had corrosion around the centre so I asked for a warranty claim and it was rejected. The dealer has repaired them as I just got the car. If and when they corrode again I'm just going to get them powder coated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I originally posted this in the KIA Customer Services area but I think it's more pertinent to put it here.

This is the story of the problem I have had with the diamond cut alloy wheels on my 2018 Sorento GT Line S which I bought brand new from my local KIA franchised dealer.
This is the third new KIA I have bought since 2016 and my second top of the range Sorento. So, I think it is fair to say that I was impressed with the marque and the service I had been receiving.

When I bought the car, I had the paintwork and wheels treated with a protective sealer. I wash it myself and never use the hand wash places with their dreadful caustic wheel cleaners and jet washers.
Despite the care I was taking, I first noticed corrosion around the centre caps on all four wheels in early December 2019. I first reported it to the dealership in January 2020. Then of course we had lockdown. My car is on the Care3 package and its second service was due in June 2020 so, I booked a service in good time in April and mentioned again that the wheels were corroded and a warranty claim requested. I forgot to mention that in August 2019 the front discs were replaced by the dealer under warranty so, they'd had the wheels off my car. On 16th June 2020 my car went in for its service. The wheels were inspected, photographed and a warranty claim agreed and commenced. During the service it was noted that the front tyres were showing wear on the inside edge. My brother is in the motor trade so obviously I was going to get my tyres fitted by him. A few days later, I was asked to go back to the dealership to have the wheels and exterior bodywork of the car assessed and photographed to ascertain its overall condition. Basically, it is still pristine and well below average mileage. It's now just over 25K as I write this. The corrosion was spreading from the area around the plastic centre caps. There was no other damage whatsoever. This was agreed by the dealership at the time the photographs were taken. Two new tyres were subsequently fitted on 21st July at my brother’s garage.

In early August 2020 I received a voicemail which I still have, from Paul Baker in KIA customer services. He told me that the warranty claim had been rejected on the grounds that the damage was caused by poor workmanship when the new tyres were fitted. Mr Baker went on to say that, at some point the wheels had been rotated on my vehicle. I pointed out that the only previous work on my car was done by the dealership when they replaced the front discs, If the wheels had been rotated, it was done without my knowledge by the dealership too. I also explained that the rear tyres were wearing evenly and showed no signs of the wear that the front tyres had. I further reminded him that I had first seen the corrosion in December 2019, reported it in January 2020, again in April and the warranty claim was started in June 2020 so, how could the fitting of new tyres in July 2020 be the cause of the corrosion and therefore the reason to refuse the warranty claim.

Despite numerous calls and emails KIA CS refused to further engage with me. I made a formal complaint to KIA UK, which was never acknowledged. In the end, the dealership offered me, as a goodwill gesture, 50% discount on having all four wheels refurbished. I agreed and the wheels were done in November 2020, very nicely I must add and fortunately, with a twelve month warranty. Unfortunately however, the corrosion has reappeared less than three months later.

I'm now considering having the wheels powder coated in shadow chrome under the warranty. I no longer have any confidence in the resilience of the diamond cut finish. If KIA continue to fit diamond cut wheels, they should improve their production methods or honour the warranty claims on them where the corrosion is due to poor manufacturing and not neglect or abuse.

I now have little faith in KIA who, despite clear evidence to the contrary, blame someone else for causing the corrosion on the wheels and use it as an excuse to refuse the warranty claim. I have just had to have the rear shock absorbers replaced after they seized up. They were done under warranty without question. I just don't understand why they took the decision they did over the wheels. I have no doubt that I could have pursued this issue through the Ombudsman or small claims court but, to be perfectly honest I could not be bothered with the hassle, which I wonder, is what they hope for.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
The issue is that Diamond cut wheels must be a cheap buy for manufactures. As a look round any car park will see cars of all makes with these fitted in the same state.

I guess the wheels are just turned in a lathe, dip cleaned & dried then sprayed with lacquer. Of cause if the surface is not spotless it is already on its way out.

Reactions: phil866

·
Registered
604 Posts
The worrying thing for me is the lack of proper resolution by Kia CS. Closing the complaint based on a bogus conclusion, then failing to engage, that's not a good look for a brand pushing a long warranty and the support to go with it. Hopefully that's just the effects of covid rather than a symptom of a brand failing to scale their back office functions in line with sales.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same issue, Kia rejected claim, noticed corrosion 18 months ago then covid hit and I never went back. Kia said I had left it too late to claim. Never mind lesson learnt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
After spending around £150,000 on Kia cars, I had my claim for corroded wheels rejected. I told their customer service manger that's the last they will see of my money. I going for a VW Tourag when the lock down is over.
Don't think that VW are any less strict on warranty claims... i know as used to work for them!!
I have seen many a customer go off on one when claims are rejected, "I'll take this up directly with VW" ..& very rarely to they concede

1 - 11 of 11 Posts