Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Ok. Loving the new motor. Got the AWD VERSION so this question is to other AWD owners. When I turn on the AWD setting apart from the little pretty light on the dash I have no clue if it's working!!!! I don't feel heavier steering or anything. Is it working!!!!! Should I be noticing any change etc. I literally wouldn't know if it was on or off. Granted I don't do much off road but I wanted the AWD because I just did really but I would like to know it works when I do venture into the unknown!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
You'll soon notice if you monitor your fuel consumption!

Seriously, as you say, it is hard to tell, but mine dragged my caravan out of a very wet muddy field without any sign of wheelspin.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The AWD system on
the Sportage is all electronic.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

AWD is always on,
however not always used. The car will usually be FWD and only uses AWD when it
needs to, i.e it senses there is no grip. You can force it on by pushing the
button you pushed (dividing the power 50/50), however you won't actually notice
any difference on the road (unless there's snow and ice!).

A tip for using
the electronic AWD systems is that when off road (or in snow) and you feel that
the wheels are spinning, keep on the gas; this gives the system a kick up the
ass to begin sending the power where it is needed and brake the wheels that are
spinning...its kind of an ESP system but more complicated.
In short; it will be working, you just won't notice it until you need it.

PaulEdited by: Arctic Paul

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Ellovich

Had my AWD since last October. Works like a dream. The button does force a 50/50 split but it will automatically disengage at a predetermined speed to save you from damaging stuff.
I was tinkering around in the snow last winter and if you listen very hard you can hear what I presume is an electronic clutch engage the rear axle. I don't think the AWD works at higher speeds (not like a rally car) Someone else will probably give you a scientific overview.

Great choice of motor, absolutely love mine.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you press the 4wd lock button and drive very slowly on a full turn on dry roadyou will feel the extra stress through the drivetrain also the steering wont be so responsive.Only do this to convince yourself it is working as it is not recomended.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys i was just worried they may have just not bothered to stick all the extra AWD parts in apart from the light!!!! I'm happier now. No exp with this kinda thing so didn't know what to expect!

·
Registered
140 Posts
<h2 ="pagetitle"><a href="http://kia-buzz.com/?p=5700" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Dynamax„¢ AWD
system</a>- cut and past the following URL</h2><h2 ="pagetitle">http://kia-buzz.com/?p=5700</h2>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts