Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Nice nice nice. A big improvement on my 06 one well looks wise.

P.S The engine spec is sh*t a 1.1 diesel and a 1.4 diesel with less power than the old 1.5 diesel.
Need to wait for 1.7 diesel Sport which should be out for 2012. I hope cos I aint changin for less power.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same here.

The spec of the diesel engines is nothing to brag about.
if anything they are slower than the current 1.5l Diesel Rio.

I was wondering where the 1.7L diesel powered version had gone.

We were all led to believe there was going to be a nice sports version.

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think it looks ugly. Too much like the Cee'd. That front bumper arrangement looks a mess. From the look of it, the all round visibility will be poor. The fuel tank is smaller and the diesel is pathetic. "fastest Rio so far at 11.5 sec to 100kmph..." Doesn't the present Rio Diesel do that already?

Interesting about the suspension changes... they talk about reducing understeer. I've never found that a problem, I find oversteer is always more of a problem since the steering is so light. The handling did need to be improved though, lets hope they've got it right this time.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I get alot of understeer in my Rio especially when the powers on. What size and make of tyres are on yours M4. The 3 door version is awffy like a Pro-Ceed. I like it, its more rounded and with it being wider track and longer wheelbase it should feel better on the road.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Maybe I just don't bang the car into high speed bends at fullrevs as much as you do? lol

The car came fitted with 195/55/15 Hankook 406 tyres and through the winter it's been running on 185/65/14 Hankook W440 ice bear winter tyres. I've not noticed much difference on the steering in terms of tyres. The winter tyres seem to reduce the oversteer a bit, but they are a bit bouncier, if you wiggle the steering from side toside, it takes a few wobbles for the car to settle itself again.

I find that because of the way the front end lurches downwards to one side suddenly from relatively slight inputsto the steering wheel, I approach corners with a lot of caution and hesitancy. I often get the feeling the car is not going to stay on the road. Anyway, I find I have to steer into bends very late compared to other cars, turn the steering only very slightlyand not over react when the car lurches suddenly. The grip is always there, but not the confidence. I do not find it a nice car to drive on bendy country lanes.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
M4 I certainly dont get the handling problems you are encountering. Mine handles not bad. Its not brilliant but you adapt to it and get to know its limits. It is a bit lively in the wet as the high torque spins the wheel so you've got to be gentle with the right foot. Mind you after driving the van all night anythings better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Considering I'm not a Kia owner, I like it too. Hope it does not have a harsh a ride as the i20 & better front bumper clearance. I owned an i20 from new for 3 months. Couldn't get along with it
I'd certainly consider a new Rio, if price is right.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Davy, round town it's great, but not bendy country roads. I don't get that much wheel spin, when I pull away I often find that the car bogs down unless the revs are quite high. The car doesn't really come to life until I get into 2nd gear, around 2000rpm, then it goes.

Try this on straight road...give the steering a sharp nudge and watch what the front end does. Mine lunges suddenly downwards in the direction the wheel is turned. This is less obvious with the winter tyres.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Tried the sharp nudge on steering but I don't get the same reaction as you get with yours. Strange one that M4. Also my car does not bog down taking away and I dont give it a lot of squirt either to move away. The car takes off after 1500rpm and will pull round to about 4300rpm but I have tuning box on. I know before I fitted the box it was about 2000rpm before it started to gallop but it never bogged down. You can cause a diesel turbo to bog down if you are in too high a gear as the turbo speed is not high enough to generate an inlet pressure.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if it's just the Graphite model that does this...others have posted about problems with their suspension.

I know if the car is in too high a gear it will bog down, but you can't get much lower than first! lol. Until you get to about 2000 rpm, there's not a lot of power. I've heard it said that you should change up when you get to 2000 rpm for best economy, but there's no way I could do that. I'm wondering if it's fuel filter related, maybe it's a bit blocked and the fuel feed is poor. That might also explain the amount of smoke I get from the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
M4 when you switch the engine off do you here a servo motor running for a short time. This is to do with the inlet manifold and there is a flap that opens an closes I suppose at different throttle openings and engine loads. Just thinking maybe this aint opening far enough and causing poor performance. I will check the manual on how this is suppose to operate correctly and get back to you.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Davy, I'm not sure, I'll have to have a listen out for that. Something is a bit odd as the fuel consumption seems to have no relationship with the speed the car is driven at.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Had a look at the Kia manual and the thing i'm talking about is called the Variable Swirl Actuator. This consists of a DC motor and valve position sensor which detects the position of the swirl valve. At idle and below 3000rpm the swirl valve is closed to take swirl effect. This swirl effect increases air flow rate.
To prevent swirl valve and shaft from being stuck by crud and to learn max opening and closing position of swirl valve, it is always fully open and closed twice at engine stop. Hence the electric servo motor sound when you switch engine off.
The inlet manifold has two inlet ports one for each inlet valve per cylinder. You have 2 inlet valves per cylinder. The swirl valve is on one of these ports.
So what I'm thinking is, is the swirl valve fully open causing poor running low down.
If you look at the engine on the front left just below the inlet manifold you will see the swirl actuator motor. At the back there is a rod comes off it. Get someone to switch engine on then let it idle for a minute then get them to switch off and you watch and listen for the servomotor running and the rod moving in and out a couple of times. If it doesn't then that could be the problem. If it does then you have to maybe look at the EGR valve as this can give problems too.
Good luck and let me know how you get on..

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Davy, I tried the engine switch off as you suggested. Yes, for about 15 seconds or so after switch off there's a whirring noise and rods go backwards and forwards under the plastic engine cover, there's also a sort of beeping noise, beep...beep...beep...like a little alarm going off.

Of course, last night the car was running great, plenty of power and the economy was better than normal...maybe because I told it I'd "tak' it up tae Glasgae" so you could look at it lol!

I often get this, somedays it runs great, then other times it's a pig, rattles a lot and doesn't want to get going and the fuel economy is stuck at 51 mpg no matter what you do.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I used to get that when I first got the car. Some days it was ok then you would switch off then go back 10mins later start it up and head off only to find it would be a bit flat as if there was no turbo boost. I used to just put it into neutral while the car was still going along and switch engine off then back on and it seemed to cure it. What I found out was the water sensor on the fuel filter was not sealing and drawing air in. That was cured with a new water sensor and sealing washer. Some machanic had overtightened the sensor and stripped the threads and split the sealing washer. Since then I have never had that problem occur again.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The third service will be due in another 4 or 5 weeks, that's when the fuel filter is due for a change, so I'll make sure that the sensor gets checked.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The filter and sensor I have is the one with the small fine diameter thread. Kia changed it to the larger courser diameter thread which is used on the Ceed I think. So they may have had the same problems I had at the start.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
davy said:
Tried the sharp nudge on steering but I don't get the same reaction as you get with yours. Strange one that M4.

Went back to summer tyres on Tuesday, ie the OEMs on 15 inch rims. If I tweek my steering wheel, you feel one front corner dive downwards and the opposite back end shoots up. I happened to be carrying about 50kg ofstuff in the boot this morning and the handling is much better! It still rolls in the bends, but it's much more predictable and the back rolls with the front instead of against it. On the downside, you need a lot more force on the brakes to stop!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts