Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I own a Sorento 2015 KX4 and I've been having issues with the AC. KIA have advised that it maybe the condenser has its bent. Does anyone know if it is covered under the warranty?

How it's become bent I don't know but I would think that it would be classed a manufacturing defect.

Many thanks

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
178 Posts
Have you spoken to a dealer - or the 'someone' you bought the car from?
6 years old, it could have been 'messed with'.
How long have you had the car and where did you buy it from? What does 'has it's bent' mean?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Condensers do get minor damage and bent cooling fins caused by insects and bugs hitting them but it would have to be some major damage to cause an issue.
If it is deformation that is causing your issue then I doubt that the warranty would cover it.

Only if it is some kind of incorrect installation damage could it be considered a manufacturing defect.

What are the issues you have experienced?

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
Hi
I own a Sorento 2015 KX4 and I've been having issues with the AC. KIA have advised that it maybe the condenser has its bent. Does anyone know if it is covered under the warranty?

How it's become bent I don't know but I would think that it would be classed a manufacturing defect.

Many thanks

Hi & Welcome.

As Kia gave the advice ( take it was a dealer) did you not ask at the time?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you spoken to a dealer - or the 'someone' you bought the car from?
6 years old, it could have been 'messed with'.
How long have you had the car and where did you buy it from? What does 'has it's bent' mean?
Hi Thanks for your response. I bought the car from KIA and owned it for just gone 4 years. It looks like the fin/grill is bent. I've included a link to their video so you can see. When I spoke to the dealer they didnt fill me with confidence when they advised it would not be covered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Condensers do get minor damage and bent cooling fins caused by insects and bugs hitting them but it would have to be some major damage to cause an issue.
If it is deformation that is causing your issue then I doubt that the warranty would cover it.

Only if it is some kind of incorrect installation damage could it be considered a manufacturing defect.

What are the issues you have experienced?
Thank you

It looks significantly bent but don't know what would have caused this. It does look deformed so maybe this has happened over time. If its not covered then I'll have to pay which is not an issue just want to get advice first before going to ahead with the job. I have included a link to the video so all can see.

Thanks for responding

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The condensor can have some deformation and still work ok, what are the issues you are experiencing?

Are you sure it requires replacement?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The condensor can have some deformation and still work ok, what are the issues you are experiencing?

Are you sure it requires replacement?
Hi the aircon is blowing warm air. KIA have completed a dye test and can't see any leaks from the pipes
Thanks
Appreciate the response.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It's often worth just getting it refilled with gas, it may well work ok for few seasons more. The automatic machine that does the job will measure how much gas is remaining in the system so you will see if it's totally empty or just below the cut off volume.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's often worth just getting it refilled with gas, it may well work ok for few seasons more. The automatic machine that does the job will measure how much gas is remaining in the system so you will see if it's totally empty or just below the cut off volume.
A proper refrigeration engineer will fill the system with nitrogen gas and then go over the whole system with an electronic sniffer.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
A proper refrigeration engineer will fill the system with nitrogen gas and then go over the whole system with an electronic sniffer.
I guess it depends on the hourly rate for the refrigeration engineer vs a partial refill which often can last a few years.
If the system was totally empty then N2 sniffing would be the sensible option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all
Nitrogen test completed and their tests point to a regas. So will have it regassed else where since KIA charge £250 and Halfords garage charge £110 and see what happens.

It the problem persists I will eventually get the condenser replaced.

Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts