Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tech question guys & gals.

Does the 2.9 diesel engine in my 07 Sedona use the same air filter as any of the other Kia models???

Reason for asking is, Igenerallyupgrade my air filters to high performance ones such as K&N, not for the increased power but for better throttle response and improved fuel economy.

Can't find a decent filter for the Sedona but they are available for other Models.

I'mhopingthat other models use the same size air box.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another slant on the same question.....

Is a filter for a US branded Carnival going to fit my UK branded Sedona???

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
662 Posts
UScarnival is diffrent diesel engine a K&N will not make any diffrence to the performance because the engines a turbo unit so the amount of air is detirmined by the turbo flow rate if you want prrof remove the filter and drive it there will be no diffrence

yes it makes about 1 hp diffrence on a petrol turbo because the engine revs are higherthrerfore the air speed is higher in the filter and inlet trunking

·
Registered
422 Posts
Best keep it original and use genuine Kia parts - you can get them easy enough and they are top quality.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surelythe turbo is driven by exhaust gasses?? therefore the greater the air flow the greater the exhaust flow the moreefficientthe turbo boost???

I have been pleased with fueleconomyimprovements when upgrading filters.

I had a 1.9 turbo diesel Berlingo that improved by 30 miles per tank when I put a 'GreenCotton' racing filter in it.

I went on to do 60,000 miles in that, the filter more than paid for itself

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I've had K&N and BMC filters in my bikes and you dont really gain any HP unless you modify airboxes to let more air in, but what the advantage is you can clean these filters and re-oil them unlike an original paper element which you chuck away. They do pay for themselves in the long run. But here is a Warning if you over oil them oil can contaminated the airflow sensor and give a wrong reading to the ECU which will give poor performance and increased fuel consumption. Oh FFS did I mention fuel consumption

I fear an MPG post coming on

If you want HP gains go for either a remap or tuning box. Remember a diesel engine only redlines at 4500rpm or 5000rpm tops so airflow rate aint that high even with turbo.
I know with bikes there is no point modifying airbox and fitting K&N or BMC filters without changing the exhaust to a straight through with very little restriction. If the engine wants to gulp more air/fuel it has to pass the burnt mixture out the exhaust as quickly as possible and without restriction or you are just wasting your money and that goes for any combustion engine whether petrol or diesel. Also you have to in most cases rejet the carbs or remap ECU if its fuel injected.
2 stroke engines are different as they like to work with some back pressure in exhausts and thats just skimming the surface on that subject.

Edited by: davy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts