Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car lets in a lot of exhaust smell from other cars, even if not heavy traffic but just driving near another car, I havnt seen this in any other car - my previous Vw Passat even in traffic if I left the fan on it was fine.

Recently had a kia picanto 2020 as a courtesy car and noticed same problem. also seen it mentioned on some of the american kia forums. do you have this problem also? general kia problem?
Ive also noticed a mild exhaust kinda smell if I accelerate hard even if no other cars around (also mentioned in some american kia forums)

Ive asked my dealer to have a look in a couple of weeks, if you have this is there any fix? can you buy higher quality filters for it/any reccomendations? thank you

·
Registered
948 Posts
Aftersales Sanitisation | Kia Motors UK

turns out kia filter costs 55 also and needs replacement every 2 years....so maybe the k&n is worth it!

have you got non kia cabin filters? which did you get?
No, mine (ceed) is intake. I was just saying that I've never trusted service 'technicians' to pay attention to what they're doing. Chatting away, not watching cos he/she can do a filter change blindfolded......

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
to reduce the exhaust smell the filter will need to be activated carbon, this has a limited lifespan. The 10 yr product mentioned above may be a dust filter only. Activated carbon is a disposible medium and cant be just washed clean. There may well be a selection of filter brands on a standard car parts website, the well known german brands are usually pretty good. A general rule is that if the filter is cheap there will probably be less activated carbon in the filter, and a less noticeable reduction in smell. I was impressed with Vaico, Purflux also. They have a good fit, no leakage/flowby around the sides, more filtration medium, and are robust so they dont deform.
The only other option is to use the recirc. function more actively in conjunction with a top quality activated carbon cabin filter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It does seem to let through more traffic smells than my Ceed did but even in that I used to have recirculating air on 90% of the time like Dunc. The second it switches over automatically I switch it back unless it starts to steam up.

Nothing worse than the smell travelling behind an old pre DPF diesel and it belching out black smoke.

Not particularly noticed an exhaust smell from the car itself coming into the cabin.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This seems strange, I have never experienced traffic fumes when in the Stinger, filters seem to work really well.
I tend to keep car climate control with air-con on all the time, winter or summer, as it seems to help keep the air less humid with less fogging of glass in winter. Perhaps air-con uses extra filters?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.