Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just picked up myself a kia ceed gt 2015. I've came from a 2017 vw polo gti. Fancied a change and I'm loving the new car. But it's a bit quiet for me. Are there any air filters that give it a bit more grunt? I'm not fussed about performance. Just want some nice raspy tones.

Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just picked up myself a kia ceed gt 2015. I've came from a 2017 vw polo gti. Fancied a change and I'm loving the new car. But it's a bit quiet for me. Are there any air filters that give it a bit more grunt? I'm not fussed about performance. Just want some nice raspy tones.

Thanks
I have had a upgraded exhaust fitted to mine as wanted it a little louder, sounds great now, I think the air filters will only give the turbo a little whoosh on changing gears rather than make the car louder

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have a search for Jetex exhausts on google and order one of there replacement filters. Adds a nice induction grunt, especially nice if your holding third gear. May be a placebo effect but im certain I can hear the turbo Swirling up more too

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the Jetex to start with but it wasn't enough... so I opted for a BSR Optiflow kit, sounds amazing and is much much cheaper than any other, a nice whoosh coming from the turbo and can hear it in the car with windows closed, when letting off you also get a nice phssst almost like a BOV if you like that kind of thing.
Almost forgot to add but it increased mpg by around +5, not much but better than nothing, not sure how it increased but it has.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Cotton gauze filters suck in more dirt where the standard wont..I worked along GSR engineering years ago designing custom built induction systems that were tested on a flow bench..Peter sold the company on tho and ended up god know where..I built the toolings that the silicon cloth was wrapped on before the whole thing got baked in an oven..Peter did the routing and did I did the welding..we would take sections of tooling and do a dry run in an engine bay..the final result would be a 6 ply hose that fixed to the throttle body one end and the filter the other..

·
Registered
871 Posts
Cotton gauze filters suck in more dirt where the standard wont..I worked along GSR engineering years ago designing custom built induction systems that were tested on a flow bench..Peter sold the company on tho and ended up god know where..I built the toolings that the silicon cloth was wrapped on before the whole thing got baked in an oven..Peter did the routing and did I did the welding..we would take sections of tooling and do a dry run in an engine bay..the final result would be a 6 ply hose that fixed to the throttle body one end and the filter the other..

I respect your experience in the field but the difference in particle size is miniscule between paper and cotton. Saying paper stops more "dirt" is a bit vague.
There will always be a trade off between efficiency and flow, using hepa would be safest but I would expect the restriction to increase massively. Certain tuners (mountune/arbarth) actively promote oiled cotton filters over paper and I'd be surprised if there was an increased risk to their upgraded engines. Would they risk it?

What is certain is that just changing from paper to cotton won't provide any noticeable power increase. From everything I've read, for that you would need to ditch the factory fit airbox and run cold feed. However even that seems contentious with various tests showing no consistent improvement, certainly without the cold feed.

Rightly or wrongly I've been led to believe oiled cotton maintain efficiency for longer, given the way they suspend dirt away from the actual filter fibres. I don't know, that could be BS as well. I've only recently picked up on the possible problems with oil contamination on the intake sensors so I'm keeping an out for more on that. K&N claim to have debunked it as myth but plenty of tuners suggest they've seen gradual leaning due to oil build up from oiled cotton.

My choice of cotton is purely about noise, facile as that may be. I've considered the difference in particle size as negligible but as I say, I am starting to wonder about the oil pull through and possible damage that it could cause longer term.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I respect your experience in the field but the difference in particle size is miniscule between paper and cotton. Saying paper stops more "dirt" is a bit vague.
There will always be a trade off between efficiency and flow, using hepa would be safest but I would expect the restriction to increase massively. Certain tuners (mountune/arbarth) actively promote oiled cotton filters over paper and I'd be surprised if there was an increased risk to their upgraded engines. Would they risk it?

What is certain is that just changing from paper to cotton won't provide any noticeable power increase. From everything I've read, for that you would need to ditch the factory fit airbox and run cold feed. However even that seems contentious with various tests showing no consistent improvement, certainly without the cold feed.

Rightly or wrongly I've been led to believe oiled cotton maintain efficiency for longer, given the way they suspend dirt away from the actual filter fibres. I don't know, that could be BS as well. I've only recently picked up on the possible problems with oil contamination on the intake sensors so I'm keeping an out for more on that. K&N claim to have debunked it as myth but plenty of tuners suggest they've seen gradual leaning due to oil build up from oiled cotton.

My choice of cotton is purely about noise, facile as that may be. I've considered the difference in particle size as negligible but as I say, I am starting to wonder about the oil pull through and possible damage that it could cause longer term.
The micro scale of particle size is bigger so you dont want to let the bigger particles in [ point 1 ]

Yes the air box would need to be ditched in favour of a dedicated hose correctly routed..air flow and direction matters as does hose diameter along its length.. [Point 2 ]

Oiled cotton filter are well known to damage maf sensors despite the debunk nearly every car we had into red dot racing were suffering Maf damage because of the oil..[point 3]

A filter on its own will not increase BHP or Torque just noise..rolling road tests back to back also proved that little cherry..[point 3 ] a dedicated correctly flow bench tested hose will increase both torque and bhp.. increase of BHP on my stilo was 17 hp..can't remember what the torque figure was and no longer have the graph to fall back on that went with the car when it was sold in 2007..my stilo had high lift cams..and a proper stainless exhaust and sports cat to stay legal..

·
Registered
871 Posts
The micro scale of particle size is bigger so you dont want to let the bigger particles in [ point 1 ]

Yes the air box would need to be ditched in favour of a dedicated hose correctly routed..air flow and direction matters as does hose diameter along its length.. [Point 2 ]

Oiled cotton filter are well known to damage maf sensors despite the debunk nearly every car we had into red dot racing were suffering Maf damage because of the oil..[point 3]

A filter on its own will not increase BHP or Torque just noise..rolling road tests back to back also proved that little cherry..[point 3 ] a dedicated correctly flow bench tested hose will increase both torque and bhp.. increase of BHP on my stilo was 17 hp..can't remember what the torque figure was and no longer have the graph to fall back on that went with the car when it was sold in 2007..my stilo had high lift cams..and a proper stainless exhaust and sports cat to stay legal..

View attachment 6209
Point 1: yes but do you really think a couple of micron difference will affect your average road car? Clearly mountune/arbarth don't for their high performance engines.
Point 2: Yes, that's what I said.
Point 3: Yet respected (globally) tuners use them and there seems to be no pattern of provable damage or they wouldn't be so popular with those owners that would marry/copulate-with their car if they could. Why is this supposed consistent and wide spread damage not more prevalent when you do research into filter types. Why is there no widespread commentary from owners stating they wished they hadnt used a cotton filter? Why has it remained on the qt?
Point 3: Yes, as per point 2

I just find it a bit odd that such widespread and provable damage is not more well known in this age of complaining. I've also had multiple high mileage (120k+) cars that have been running cotton filters with no discernable effects to the engine from lean running. Two of those have had full bottom end up refurbs. Is it because like the difference in filtration levels, it doesn't actually make a difference in the real world?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Point 1 ..yes it makes a difference because it all ends up on the ICV of the throttle body and this is why throttle body cleaning has to take place [eventually ]

K&N are a yank concept and used extensively in the stated but many of those dont use oil..human nature is to follow the crowd like monkeys because it has to be right its K&N innit bro but it would be far better to use an oil free one and just chuck it away when dirty..they aint that expensive compared to many of the K&N ones..between £10 - £15..

biggest problem with a full induction kit [inc hose is it needs cold air to perform well..GSR always placed many filters very near to the deck around sump height but when fitting a kit at meets I made sure the fiter was well clear I cut the hose back a tad more..what his eyes dont see won't hurt him I thought and its better than a hydrolocked engine..he had the honour of towing home an abarth from a flooded lane when this happened to one member of Stilo sport..after that the war of words began between the two of them and this is why I refused to fit them to low ;)

What ever you decide good luck Arthur..if it gets to loud at higher speed I suppose you could always buy some ear muffs..?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Oh I know there's a fascination with stickers stating k&n fitted but that mainly sits with the same crowd that have a shopping list of 'cool' parts prominently displayed, normally behind the front arches. I've never fitted a k&n just because it's a k&n. Actually that's a lie but it was only once and a very, very long time ago. There's better out there, you just don't get a sticker pack as part of the price.
As for the volume, its been a while since I went for bov's and cb's to be the loudest [email protected] on the block. Just a nicer tone these days. I have to have the stereo up anyway to cover the gt rattles and squeaks. ?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
And now purley for your amusement..? a photo of the owner of GSR back then and me..I'm the one with the beard ? tell me which one I am..it was taken at a rolling rd day in bromsgrove and at chipped Uk as it was known back then..no wonder the owner drives a top of the range BMW 4x4 at least he did back then..£200 a car and there were 25 of them my fingers were worked to the bone I tell ya and it was getting dark when we packed up..

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm not going to guess but if I had to commentate , bent over beard looks slightly fatigued while stand up beard looks highly sceptical of bent over beard's efforts!
That's not a young Danny Dyer on the left there, is it? ?
Our paths may well have crossed in the past if you were doing the midlands circuit. A few of my mates used the mobile rr's while I stood back and watched. I may even (quietly) have asked if those good looking bearded chaps know what they're doing.. ?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I'm not going to guess but if I had to commentate , bent over beard looks slightly fatigued while stand up beard looks highly sceptical of bent over beard's efforts!
That's not a young Danny Dyer on the left there, is it? ?
Our paths may well have crossed in the past if you were doing the midlands circuit. A few of my mates used the mobile rr's while I stood back and watched. I may even (quietly) have asked if those good looking bearded chaps know what they're doing.. ?
Slightly fatigued well thats an understatement..Kn4ckered would be more like it..it was a 12 hour day..was glad I had a lift and didnt have to drive back home to Wales..Guy on the left is Frank and the young lady was his girl..think they got wed about a year later..guy at the side of me is Carl Peter hoffman Mr. GSR..hardest work he did was prepare the hoses while us others myself and devastating dave did the graft..I even had the task of fabricating the brackets for the kits but did that back in my workshop at home at the rear of my home..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts