Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air bag lightstays on constantly. The car hasn't had a shunt, can't find any dodgy connections and can't find any error codes with an OBD reader. Any one got any ideas or does it really have to go into a Kia dealer for a check?

·
Registered
536 Posts
How old is it? Airbags are deployed by burning small tablets to release co2. After a while they become damp or very hard to ignite due to exposure to air. Most cars ECU have a set mileage or date in which it feels they should be replaced or checked and show the airbag light to show this. But it could also be an indicator to a sensor or accelerometer failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Ritchie. Its a 2003, 89000mls so your theory could be right. Any idea what it might cost to sort out or could I safely ignore it?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Anything to do with yours or your family's safety is your choice my friend. If its the tablets, I wouldn't put it anymore than £80. (I estimate prices at half what my VW passat cost as it usually works out about right, F#^kin VW) Sensor? .....that's anyone guess. But if you shop about you can usually get replacement parts new on eBay for cheap. I have a snap on ethos diagnostic computer and if you can find a garage with on you can either find he problem....or just turn the light off.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Taken from the AA website:

When cars were first fitted with airbags there was a lack of knowledge and confidence about the long term reliabiilty of the systems . Car manufacturers and manufacturers of airbag systems agreed to validate (or test) them for a 10 year life span.

A sodium azide tablet produces the gas which inflates the airbag, and this tablet and the explosive device are sealed. Although some moisture ingress is possible it should not affect performance. There will also be some natural chemical decay, but again this shouldn't stop the airbag from working.

There was also some concern in the early days that the airbag cover could become brittle through aging and a flying fragment cause eye damage.

Manufacturers increased the validation period to 15 years on later cars without making major changes to design and we are not aware of any airbag failures atttributed to ageing.The warning light has nothing to do with the age of the Airbag, it indicates a fault.
Some dealers are really pressing the age fact to get people to renew them, but as independant research has shown, there is no evidence that airbags need replacing every 10 years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
RichieD76 said:
Anything to do with yours or your family's safety is your choice my friend.

But if you shop about you can usually get replacement parts new on eBay for cheap.
Safety and ebay dont go hand in hand!

·
Registered
249 Posts
The airbag light is also connected to the seatbelt tensioners & a faulty connection on one of them will bring the light on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts