Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been down a long journey of upgrading the headunit on my Gen 1 Picanto to an Android unit. I have a thread on this forum regarding issues I had with FM reception which ultimately turned out to be rust on the aerial base on the roof. Anyway once that was sorted I then decided I wanted to add DAB. Initially I bought one of those external DAB units that mount like a mobile phone in a dashboard holder and then bought a USB module that plugged straight into my Android headset.

Both came with a stupid internal stick on windscreen aerial allegedly meant to be active (boosted) and both were rubbish. I could pick up a maximum of 20 odd stations and reception was iffy at best. I then bought a magnetic aerial the sticks to the rood of the car and has a cable that runs through the boot lid and is hidden in the trim of the car. This worked VERY well BUT having two aerials on the car bugged me.

I looked at getting a complete replacement roof aerial that had a booster for both the FM and DAB section which I am sure would have worked fine but then I found a splitter on eBay that allows you to use your existing FM aerial. Well this was the final answer. I am now receiving over 120 channels with crystal clarity and haven't had a single drop out since installing it. If you decide to venture along this path I can highly recommend one of these.

Super Moderator
What sort of aerial does the car have now? One that is mounted at the rear of the roof?

If it is, what about one of the shark fin ones that are fitted now. As they are designed for DAB.
Daughters 68 plate has one.

Should be able to source one on ebay.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I am just using the factory one that is in the front of the car. Mine is a 59 plate Gen1 Picanto so a Sharkfin would look a bit odd at the front . With the splitter it works perfectly so no need for me to spend anymore money. As you say the modern Gen 3's are already setup for DAB so happy days for you guys. My Daughters 17 plate i10 also has factory fit DAB but I now have SAT NAV, DAB, Spotify, Google, Netflix, Youtube so have now leapfrogged her ICE 馃槃

Reactions: iooi
1 - 3 of 3 Posts