Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, what do you think about aftermarket car alarms? I'm thinking about installing a better alarm to my Sportage 2016 petrol, one with a more security options such as more sensors and a flashing alarm light and notification to my mobile if somebody has tried to open the doors or bumped it while parked. Will that invalidate the warranty?
Thank you all.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
It might invalidate some elements of the warranty if KIA think that the modification has caused or contributed to a failure.

What additional sensors do you want? You already have switches on all the openers, cabin movement sensor and tilt sensor so what else?

You can fit a flashing light without the alarm system, and it is no deterrent anyway.

Notification of tampering might be useful though.

You will need to inform your insurer about the modification and I expect that they will increase your premium as a result (because you are exchanging a known security system for a potentially unknown installation).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might invalidate some elements of the warranty if KIA think that the modification has caused or contributed to a failure.

What additional sensors do you want? You already have switches on all the openers, cabin movement sensor and tilt sensor so what else?

You can fit a flashing light without the alarm system, and it is no deterrent anyway.

Notification of tampering might be useful though.

You will need to inform your insurer about the modification and I expect that they will increase your premium as a result (because you are exchanging a known security system for a potentially unknown installation).
Hi, yes that's one one the features I'm looking for, also, a panic button, notification of tampering to mobile as you said and a proximity sensor. I got the flashing light but it needs to be recharged every now and then, and i can be seen placing it on the dashboard which may make the whole exercise useless.

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
You mean you do not have the flashing red light when looking through the windscreen when car locked?

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you watch any documentaries where they talk to criminals, alarm systems on cars do not deter them in the slightest.
The best thing you can do for security is simply not leave anything of value on show. That even means things like coats or food.
If the thief doesn't see anything of interest to them inside your car, then they're just going to move onto the next.

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
Only thing I would add to the above is.....

If you hear a car alarm going off, how much notice do you take?

Tracker, all day long. If you are that worried about it being stolen.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wouldn't bother with a tracker either in all honesty. Nobody is going to target a sportage for a theft. Car thieves are after hot hatches to have fun in, or premium cars which they can strip or clone & make money from.
The only real likelihood someone is going to take your sportage is if they get hold of the keys - so after a burglary most likely when they might use it as a getaway car. And anyway, once a thief has driven it, abused it & dumped it, do you really want it back?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Mo, as far as i know, sportage don't have the flashing red light. Mine doesn't .
Mine does not. Never really saw the point. Once upon a time when car alarms were non standard then there might have been a deterrent effect but we all expect every car to have an alarm these days,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about a tracker instead...?
Thanks , but the problem I've got is that, i live/park in an area where there seems to be a few individuals who like to mess with cars in the area, I've found my car with the wing mirrors folded backwards, two months ago my rear window got broken, other neighbours have the same problem; what i would like is to have a warning that something is happening and tried to fix it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Leave the glove box and other compartments open and empty. Use a steering wheel lock.

Otherwise the money may be better spent on security cameras or occasional paid secure parking if its available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I
Leave the glove box and other compartments open and empty. Use a steering wheel lock.

Otherwise the money may be better spent on security cameras or occasional paid secure parking if its available.
Thanks pal, unfortunately i have to park one block away from my flat. Police have been notified but they say there is noting they can do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts