Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here so hello I am Optec and own a 2010 Picanto Strike 1.1 (A special edition somewhere between a "1" and "2" if memory serves)

I tried another Kia forum but it was significantly less active than this one so I neverreceiveda reply.

I have been trying to fit my old (but still decent)after marketstereo to my Kia. I have been ok with the standard stereo for a while but will soon be starting a new job with a roughly 2 hour daily commute so I am looking to get my sound system upgraded.

I was intending to replace the Stock stereo with my single DIN head unit. I looked into buying a fascia adapter for this.<br style=": rgb239, 239, 239; "><br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb239, 239, 239; ">I bought aConnects 2 CT24KI09 Kia Picanto Car CD Stereo Fascia Surround Panelthis product was listed as being for a<br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb239, 239, 239; ">Kia Picanto >2008. This fascia adapter does not fit.<br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb239, 239, 239; "><br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb239, 239, 239; ">This is my stereo (not my car but identical other than the stereo surround is black in mine.)<br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb239, 239, 239; "><br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb239, 239, 239; ">
<br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb239, 239, 239; "><br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb239, 239, 239; ">I was wondering if Kia sold replacement fascia surrounds that I could modify myself to allow the stereo to beinsertedor even an official surround with a double DIN size hole in it.

In addition to the head unit I have two speakers for the side doors and some 6x3s on a custom shelf I built for the back. I have not had a chance to root around to see if there is a cable to the rear speakers in the Strike? Does anyone know if I will need to get a wire put in to drive the rear speakers?

Reading the forums a bit it seemed a guy called Dano seemed to have all the info I needed so if you are out there please help!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Why does the adapter you have got not fit?

If its a double DIN the idea is that it should be a standard size? I assume that the mountings at the back are wrong or something similar as the Head unit looks like it is a standard Double DIN, and not for instance like an Audi one where the recessed part of the unit is double Din but then the facia fits sepcific to the dash of the car...ie the same audi concert head wont fit unless it is the specific design for the particular model.

It might be worth taking the head unit out and then going to have a look in Halfords at the universal adapters, you might strike it lucky and find one that fits or is adaptable to fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apologies I should have been clearer.

The standard Kia Head Unit is not Double DIN in size, it is slightly less wide and therefore the fascia adapter doesn't fit in the hole left when the Kia unit is removed. In addition the mountings on the adapter are not in the correct place but could be adapted to make them fit.

Haven't looked for any generic adapters yet, might be worth a trip to Halfords.

Edited by: Optec

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ah Ok, If it isnt quite the right size you might struggle then.

I used to install head units as a side line when i was at uni, if its specific its going to be a hit and miss, have you scoured the Googleplex to look for other Kias with that head unit? if you can find anothoer one that does then look for adapters for that vehical.

You might have to end up with an ugly gap, problem is there cant be that many people "pimping" the ICE in picantos so demand wont be high for adapters!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the head unit and speakers from them :).

The button holes on those adapters put me off as I think most Picanto's (well the few I looked at in the showroom) have the hazard lights where the rear window heater is on mine. The buttons appear to be a very different shape to the ones in mine so I didn't wan't to risk ~£35 on the chance that it would work. I might give them a ring and see what they say.

·
Registered
525 Posts
They must have used a non-UK dash panel for the model you have, was it a run out model or something? Maybe try looking on websites from other markets and see if you can find one that looks like it will fit.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just to let you know the earlier picanto stereo facias don not have the the cut out at the bottom for the heater control
I think the strike is the same as the chill i have and there are speakers in the rear doors good luck in getting the window winders off they are a ******* to get off

·
Registered
543 Posts
It can be quite a easy process for some people on wiring the rear speakers , if your lucky there's adaptors already wired up within the door cards . I'm not very familiar with a 2010 model mine was a early picanto , and was very easy toChange bits to get great results ,

To save the struggle of wiring up through the door glands with wires, you could purchase a cheap two channel amp and run two speakers in the rear shelf , you will find it will be 100% clear and chrisper compared to door speakers because they are too low to hear them properly , I had mine running 300w rms in doors each .
I will ask my audio supplier on facia adapters and post up a conclusion to the best way forward :)

Edited by: Dano

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for thecomments guys. I eagerly await Dano'sresponseon the fascia adapter. Best case scenario there is one I can buy, worst case I am hoping I can by a spare face plate for my car and modify it myself.

I haven't opened up the door yet but hopefully itshouldn'tbe too hard. I'm not really bothered about the rear door speakers at this point. The least I want to do is upgrade my head unit and front door speakers, ideally I would modify my old shelf and fit my rear speakers as well.

I'm interested in this idea of an amp in the boot could you explain more about this? Surely you still need a wire at some point :p.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The amps very simple to do I found , the best thing to do is find a nice small one and install it under the passenger seat out of site & out of mind . To wire up a amp on a picanto was the easiest car I've ever done i was totally amazing as the cars are so well built . 
Firstly you want to run a nice gauge power cable 8awg would be fine for a stereo amp not above 600w , there a grommet in the engine bay which goes directly into the passenger foot well , I drilled a 6mm hole in it and fed it through leaving enough to get to the possitive on the battery . 
Then I cut the cable and joined a fuse inline 60amp one and left disconnected from the battery . 

Then run the power cable down the left hand side if the car behind the rubber door seals in-between the seal and the plastic sill covers   to the centre pillar . Then feed the wires under the carpet and pop the wire out the whole in the carpet for the seat mounting bolt .
 Once you've done that find a nice location for the amp to rest making sure the amp doesn't foul with the seat and when you pull the seat forward you can acsess it easily for setting it up later after the wiring kit is installed . 

Now once that's done you would need to run a ground cable from the ground on the amplifier to a seat bolt on a ring crimp and bolt down tight . 

Once that's done  it's time to cut the power cable to length and place into the amp  . Then run a remote cable ( small blue cable ) to the front of car in reverse parallel to the power cable and cable tie securely together follow pass the entry hole for the power cable to the back of the headunit  . 

Once that complete  cable tie the wires  to the fire wall in the cabin to stop the remote cable and power cable vibrating whilst driving . 

Then you can re instate the rubbers seals back to the correct locations and thats the hardiest part completed . 

Next it's time to install phono cables through the car to the amplifier connected via the  headunit .

The easiest way to do this Is to remove the headunit plug the phono leads in and connect the remote wire to the remote out or the orange wire connected into you iso block for the electric ariel , then push the phonos down into the drivers foot well and tie up behind with the wires to the electric wing mirrors and speaker cables etc using cable ties . 

Then run the phonos down the drivers side door seals in the same fashion ad the passengers side , once you get to the door pillar you want to run the cables under the carpet to the amplifier and plug the wires in red to the right black to the left . 

Then look at the amp and turn all gains down to 0 and reinstate the car seals back to there places . 

Then it's time to plug speaker cables in and set the amp the way I find best with out using a audio scope is to turn radio up to 3/4 volume then go to the amp and put on High pass filter and set the crossover to 80/100 then slowly turn the gain up little bit at a time until you hear distortion once you hear it back the gain off until clear and then leave as that and its set up .

Sounds a long process but very simple to do about 1/2 a days work :)Edited by: Dano

1 - 11 of 11 Posts