Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the maps in my 2017 Niro 2 updated a few weeks ago. As I mentioned in an earlier post the map display differs from the previous maps - being in pastel colours rather than the brightly coloured previous maps. Also, the menu system has changed.

Due to lockdown, I have only used the car over the past year for local journeys. However, yesterday we had to do a 34 mile return trip to view a property we are thinking of making an offer for. We got caught in a significant traffic jam on the motorway for which the sat nav did not show a warning - neither did it display the tailback on the map.

I use the KIA sat-nav which downloads the speed cameras and traffic information via a wireless dongle fitted with a data only SIM card. Previously it worked faultlessly, but the updated maps do not displat traffic delays even though when I start the car, the screen confirms it is connected to the dongle and shows it is downloading the speed camera and traffic data. Speed camera still show on the new mapping and chime when being approached

I have gone through all the setting menus and cannot see a way to switch traffic on.

I played with the car for some time today and set various routes - some into London where there is bound to be traffic. Some routes displayed a message "There is traffic on this route" yet when I pressed the "traffic" button for details, a message appeared saying "There is no traffic information available". If I scrolled along the route on the map for the whole journey no traffic is shown.

On the previous mapping, traffic was shown by a red chevron on the side of the road where there was traffic. In fact, on the previous mapping, it was possible to zoom out of the map and see all traffic over a wide area whether or not a route was set.

Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi AlanHo,

I think with the newest software and maps, coloured chevrons have been replaced by coloured lines representing the roads nearby not only on your planned route.
When the traffic is normal these roads will be green, turn into yellow (amber) when busier to red to show heavy traffic.
Please also bear in mind that due to lockdown and restricted travelling now, traffic levels have gone down a lot, even in London areas. Therefore you may think that your traffic delays are not working properly, but in fact they are ok.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use the inbuilt KIA satnav with KIA hotspot & bluetooth connection and find all the traffic information is available including the traffic build up information as stated in #2
I don't use android auto as I find the hotspot does everything I need other than voice commands but I find even that I can cover in most situations via google assistant while connected on bluetooth/hotspot

·
Registered
833 Posts
Check that the following setting is ticked;

Navigation / Information / Route Guide Line / Colour for traffic on route

BTW some of the route congestion information can come via the radio, without a HotSpot connection (Global Radio's Classic FM I believe) using the RDS TMC channel (now labelled as Live by Kia at the top of the screen). Try setting your radio to FM to see if you get the coloured lines indicating congestion. But as already said there is not much of that around at present.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Check that the following setting is ticked;

Navigation / Information / Route Guide Line / Colour for traffic on route

BTW some of the route congestion information can come via the radio, without a HotSpot connection (Global Radio's Classic FM I believe) using the RDS TMC channel (now labelled as Live by Kia at the top of the screen). Try setting your radio to FM to see if you get the coloured lines indicating congestion. But as already said there is not much of that around at present.
Supplimentary to the above.

If you watch the top of the Nav display, to the right of where where TA is displayed, you will see TMC displayed for a moment after switching on this is the Nav unit resolving the TMC data from Classic FM. This is basic road congestion. It will change to LIVE when the Nav unit connects to Tom Tom Live servers when the HotSpot connection is made. This is when Speed Camera data and additional road information is received and updated. I just looked at this again and LIVE is not confirmation of a connection via HotSpot as it will eventually show even if no HotSpot is present.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Radiorail - I missed this in the settings Navigation / Information / Route Guide Line / Colour for traffic on route. Thank you for the information

I have now done so and traffic appears on the map but nowhere near as clearly than the old chevrons. This has been a retrograde change.

As an experiment I set a route where I could see there was traffic - the previous maps warned you there was traffic and gave an estimate of the length (time) of the delay. The new maps do not appear to do this - they immediately set a detour with no indication they have done so.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Radiorail - I missed this in the settings Navigation / Information / Route Guide Line / Colour for traffic on route. Thank you for the information

I have now done so and traffic appears on the map but nowhere near as clearly than the old chevrons. This has been a retrograde change.

As an experiment I set a route where I could see there was traffic - the previous maps warned you there was traffic and gave an estimate of the length (time) of the delay. The new maps do not appear to do this - they immediately set a detour with no indication they have done so.
I had my maps "upgraded" last week while my car was in for it's 3rd service. Ys, here are a number of (hopefully) useful functions in the new set but, overall, I'm very disappointed. It's all very well having a choice of colour schemes but not much use when they are all so wishywashy that they make it very hard to pick out the detail. Like you, I found the traffic delay graphics very poor compared with the red caterpillars that crawled all over the map in the previous version. And the colours used for the various road categories are not wonderful and make it difficult to see at a glance the up-coming junctions. As for the night screen, it really is like a blackout situation. Major roads are just about visible but the surrounding minor roads have virtually disappeared so you can forget about manually plotting your own route. Yes, it is nice to see the radio station logos but who needs them when there are so many other things that need attention.

Sorry Kia - a retrograde step!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts