Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i hope someone can shed some light cos i think i may loose the plot!!! I have a Kia Rio on a 53 plate, only had it for about 2 and half months. I had trouble with it starting bout a month and a half ago, to whic i was told i needed an new alternator, so got that fitted. Then about 2 wekks after that it did it again so i had a new battery fitted. Just when i thought all my troubles were over, last friday went to tesco come out 20 mins later car wont start. Bump started it and took it to the garage, the alternator and the battery are ok and it started fine, but im assuming they had charged it. the guy said he couldnt find anything wrong with it, unless he saw it when it was in its 'broken state'. I'm thinking its gotta to be summat draing the power?? Does anyone else have any insight as it seems im just waiting to break down again!!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
When you say it wont start did the engine spin over or was there a clicking sound when turning the key or was there no sound at all. There could be a fault in the starter solenoid or the starter motor or wiring to it. The starter solenoid is part of the starter motorand sits aside of the main unit and when you turn key the small wire on the solenoid gets voltage and this pushes a plunger with a metal bridge bar across the heavy wire connector inside the solenoid and makes contact with the starter motor contact, current then flows to the windings in the starter motor and spins your engine over.
Well it should if its a healthy starter motor. All this needs to be tested and also all earth leads from battery to body and battery to engine or engine to body earths. If there is a poor earth contact then this can give you the same problem you are experiencing.
One way to check for bad earths in the starting charging side is to get a jump lead and connect one end to negative on battery and other end to a clean metal part on engine or directly to the body of the starter motor. If it starts every time and there is a good charge at battery usually around 13 to 14.5 volts when engine is running then an earth wire could be the culprit. Try it with and without this jump lead so that you can see the difference in starting and the charging voltage
Good luck and I hope this helps.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh when i wouldnt start the engine didnt turn over at all just made a clicking sound like you said, thanks for all your info and advice i will definatley try what you suggested, cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts