Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div ="msg">
Hi,

I am looking to get a Kia Rio 1 in a couple of weeks. Its a
good option because of the 0% financing option they have on it at the
moment. Anyone else have this car? Could someone tell me some pro's and
Cons about it and anything to lookout for?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Chigz, how much are you looking to pay for the Rio 1?

What you should get depends on the amount of driving you do. If you do a lot of miles, you should go for the diesel version. The most important things the Rio 1 doesn't have are:a proper spare wheel, skinny 175 tyres, no air con and no side airbag protection and, no central locking.

You may find it better value to go for a diesel that's a couple of years old...still has the warranty, a lot of the initial depreciation has gone and after 20,000 miles or so, the engine will just start to be "broken in" and nicely loosened up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi M4trundler,

I was looking to buy it new for £7995, thats because they were offering a 0% financing option for four years. Do you think the Rio 2 then might be a better option in that sense if I get the extra in? Initially I wont really be doing many miles but if If I have ajob role change then I would be doing a significant amount of miles. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Chigz, just bought a Rio Domino for her indoors, very pleased with it, only done 500 miles and already getting 38 mpg around town, if it is like my Picanto it will improve tremendously. Read the 7 year warranty carefully as to what is covered. apart from that would buy another. This is our 3rd Kia and don't think I would go elsewhere

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Chigz,
If I were you, I'd take the Rio 1 and Rio 2 petrol and diesel for a test drive and see what you think. Drive a hard bargain and don't take the dealer's first offer, even if it includes an attractive finance deal. Do your research, especially on the web, so you can brush aside the salesman's bull. See how much a 2 year old Rio Diesel will cost and compare the prices. Quite often you can get attractive finance on second hand cars. The most important thing is don't be in a hurry, take your time and consider the options thoroughly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bootneck & M4trundler,

Thanks for your advice. I will take all of that into consideration. More research to do. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@bootneck- Quick question for you, I was comparing the Rio 2 and the Domino, is the difference only that the Domino has the front fog lights and an Ipod cable extra?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Both have front fogs, I didn't realise about the ipod cable, but when I bought ours the Domino had the same spec but was about £500 cheaper as it was on special offer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I've also been impressed by the rio domino diesel and looking to buy one, just wondered if anybody got their dealer to budge much on the rrp, I've tried a couple of dealers in my area (Kent) and whether they're just playing hardball or not, they seem a bit disgusted when trying to negotiate.I bought a motorbike from new last year, got a good p/x price and the rrp dropped by about 12%. Haven't bought a car from new for ages and just wondered if this was the normal experience when buyinga kia.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I managed to knock the dealer down a few hundred quid, but ended up buying online at £1000 less for the same spec. The dealers seem very reluctant to go down on price.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Chigz, had this thought over the weekend. If funds are restricted andyou need a car for short journeys to start with, then later will be going longer distance, why not get a cheap but decent old shape Rio (From 2003 onwards) as a run around, then buy a new Rio diesel later? The old shape Rios are quite good cars and can be picked up with FSH for next to nothing. Later this year, the new Rio will be coming out, which is likely to make the value of the 2005 to 2011 model drop significantly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi M4trundler,

I did end up buying the Rio 2. My problem was that I since I do not know anything about cars, I wasn't sure on buying a second hand car to start me off and thats why I had started looking at Kia on the first place for the 7 year warranty. I did manage to get a 0% deal on it. I did think about the New Kias affecting the price but because it is not till October I wasn't sure on what I would do before. I appreciate your advice though. Guess I will be asking for advice on how to make the most of the new car now.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Welcome to the world of Kia Chigz! I think the Rio is the best of the Kias, I'm sure you'll get a lot of fun out of it. What tyres have you got on yours?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks M4 Trundler,

Its got Hankook Optimo k406 185/65ra14 86H

Are they any good?

Also, what can I do keep my paintwork healthy? The dealers sell a product to keep the paint from corrossion. Is it worthwhile in investing in something like that, It was £299 I think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi chigz,

I personally wouldn't go for the product that dealer is selling for £299. Just wash it with a quality car shampoo and give it a wax and it should look like new for ages.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kiariocrdi said:
Hi chigz,

I personally wouldn't go for the product that dealer is selling for £299. Just wash it with a quality car shampoo and give it a wax and it should look like new for ages.

Thats great kiariocrdi, Thanks for that. Is it worth investing in having a Paint Protection Film installed? Are there any particular shampoo /wax products that you would recommend?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi chigz

My dealership also offered this, but if you check the net you can purchase the complete thing for around £50 all you have to do is apply it yourself

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks bootneck. Do you know what exactly it is called? Will have to look at the paper that the dealer had put the details on. Just wanted to make sure I do some work to protect the paint on the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
can't remember offhand it was something guard I remember looking it up and finding the site. Will check see if I can find it and let you know

·
Registered
29 Posts
Personally I wouldn't bother with that paintwork protection malarky. I've used Autoglym cleaning and waxing stuff for years, easy to use, brilliant results. Wouldn't use anything else

1 - 20 of 24 Posts