Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, newbie here although I am a regular on the Ford Focus forum.

My eldest daughter and her hubby are just in the process of purchasing a '67 plate 1.6GDi ISG1 Sportage with 15k on the clock from an independent garage but with Kia FSH, having already had 3 services so far. I checked through the service history and the only thing of note was an oil leak from the engine a couple of years ago but whatever the problem was it was obviously cured as it is as dry as a bone now, so I'm guessing maybe a loose oil filter or sump plug perhaps ?? and an inoperative TPMS, which again now appears to be working ok (hopefully).
The car was MOT'd in October and has clearly been stood for most of the time since then as there was moderate surface rust on all 4 brake discs and I managed to persuade the vendor to replace the rear discs and pads as part of the deal so we are just waiting for him to contact us to confirm this has been done so we can then go and collect it. Now I am aware that these will be after-market discs and pads, so do I need the invoice from him to prove that they are of OEM quality, in order to keep the 7 year warranty valid ??, as having read through the T's and C's of the warranty this is what it says...

"We would recommend the use of original Kia parts because if your car fails due to a non-genuine part being fitted, then a warranty claim may be rejected. If you use a garage other than a Kia dealership or approved repairer to service your car, please tell them to specify the part numbers on the invoice and keep this safe."

My interpretation of that is that the warranty would only be invalidated if the discs or pads failed, which, having been around the motor industry for 40 years, I know is highly un-likely to happen.
Secondly, regarding future servicing to keep the warranty valid, I work for a local motor factors delivering parts to local garages, so will be getting whatever parts it needs from work and will get a local indie to fit them (even though I am an ex-mechanic) as I can't stamp the service book, so will be getting either Bosch or Blue Print filters which are all of OEM quality, so am assuming that the warranty will still be valid ??
Thirdly, regarding this particular model, are there any issues that I need to be aware of ?? ( I have just read about the notchy steering issue so will be checking that as soon as they get the car)

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated (y)

PS...am I correct in saying that this model does NOT have a turbo ??

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
Hello and welcome.

2017 Sportage only had two petrol engines, the 1.6 GDi 130 bhp and the 1.6 T-GDi 174 bhp, so yes it is a none turbo. You are aware of the notchy steering, also look for noisy steering. 2017 models had in issue in cold weather, the steering made groaning sounds when apply lock, fades as it gets warmer. Assuming it is a manual, watch for clutch judder, especially when cold. There are a fair few threads on the subject.
I can't answer your queries on warranty, I've had service plans with the dealerships, so car is serviced by Kia dealer.
I'm not trying to put you off, I'm on my second and still enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Mr Macspot, I'll see if I can take it for a decent test drive when they get it (hopefully this week).
I was talking to a good friend of mine today who runs his own garage and asked him about the Kia warranty and he told me he has had 2 experiences with local Kia dealers - the first was when someone brought a Kia into him with a juddering clutch and he advised them to check with his local Kia dealer (in Bradford ??) to see if it was covered under warranty and they replaced it free of charge and the second was a similar problem but the owner went to Piccadilly Kia in Wakefield and they point blank refused to change it, which I found rather strange as surely it would be down to Kia UK to decide rather than the dealer ??

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
215 Posts
Cheers Mr Macspot, I'll see if I can take it for a decent test drive when they get it (hopefully this week).
I was talking to a good friend of mine today who runs his own garage and asked him about the Kia warranty and he told me he has had 2 experiences with local Kia dealers - the first was when someone brought a Kia into him with a juddering clutch and he advised them to check with his local Kia dealer (in Bradford ??) to see if it was covered under warranty and they replaced it free of charge and the second was a similar problem but the owner went to Piccadilly Kia in Wakefield and they point blank refused to change it, which I found rather strange as surely it would be down to Kia UK to decide rather than the dealer ??
I had a Carens for about 6 years. It was serviced at a local independent garage. I photocopied the service schedules out of the handbook for them. No idea if they used genuine KIA parts. I had three warranty claims. Rear rh damper, rear lh damper a month later and a boot lock. I left the service book with the garage stamps and the invoices on the passenger seat as instructed. The work was done at Lookers Stockport without any problems apart from a long wait for the second damper to be supplied. I now have a Sportage 3 1.7crdi and I'm very pleased with it so far. I think the warranty claim experience is down to different dealerships

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cheers Captain America...it would appear that Lookers Stockport are more than happy to conform to their legal requirements under the block exemption ruling whereas others such as Piccadilly Wakefield are not ??
Looking at the wording on Kia's Warranty T's and C's it basically states that any non-Kia parts fitted must fail in order for a warranty claim to be refused !!

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
215 Posts
Cheers Captain America...it would appear that Lookers Stockport are more than happy to conform to their legal requirements under the block exemption ruling whereas others such as Piccadilly Wakefield are not ??
Looking at the wording on Kia's Warranty T's and C's it basically states that any non-Kia parts fitted must fail in order for a warranty claim to be refused !!
If you use an independent really need to know and trust them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Too many variables to make vaild comparisons.

For example you might get a clutch changed on a new car 5k miles from new if Kia think its not down to driver abuse, and if you have a good relationship with your dealer they'll do more to help in these types of cases in my experience (ie if you bought the car from then etc)

Chance of a warranty claim on a clutch at 5 yrs old with 90k on clock? Nil.

Warranty claims on 'wear and tear' items are always challenging. Many scenarios can play out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, cheers guys, all valid points (y)

Regarding independents, as stated above I deliver OEM quality parts to numerous garages every day, so have plenty of contacts who I can trust ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'll never get a warranty claim on brake friction materials anyways so fit whatever you like.

They couldn't deny you a warranty claim on a head gasket if you had non kia branded brake pads fitted.
Do Kia actually make brake pads or are they just made by such as Mintex/Bosch/Einbach etc and put in a Kia box as back in the '80's when I worked for Mintex, some of their pads went into Ford boxes ??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so they picked the car up on Friday and having now worked out how to turn the headlights on (don't ask !!), they have encountered their first issue.. it is with the spare key. Apparently when you press the keyfob the lights flash but the door doesn't unlock and although it will unlock the door when inserted into the barrel on the driver's door when they open the door the alarm then goes off. Is it likely to be the battery that is going or could there be something else wrong ??
(I have told them to try swapping the batteries over between the 2 keys to check).

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
Go for the simplest thing first, change the batteries on 'both' fobs. It is easy to do and even if it doesn't fix the problem at least you have eliminated the fobs and you know the fobs will be good for a while. The batteries are CR2032.

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
512 Posts
Lets rule out the obvious if it is 2 different people using differnet key fobs.

The person is pressing the right button, the lights will flash if the lock button is pressed even if the car is already locked.

I'm thinking the batteries are OK as you are getting response from the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go for the simplest thing first, change the batteries on 'both' fobs. It is easy to do and even if it doesn't fix the problem at least you have eliminated the fobs and you know the fobs will be good for a while. The batteries are CR2032.
Yeah, I was thinking that would be a good idea too...my company stock fob batteries so I will get a couple tomorrow and try them after confirming kenp's suggestion that they are actually pressing the unlock button first :unsure:

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
512 Posts
It's the type of thing I've done in the past were you go down a route thinking something is broken, when actually it's user error.

The car isn 't here at the moment, but I think it is 1 flash for lock and 2 for unlock, but could be wrong.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, update...they are definitely pressing the right button and have now swapped the battery over but it has made no difference. It is the red light on the fob that lights up rather than the hazard lights flashing (not as stated above) and it definitely manually unlocks the door barrel, but the alarm still goes off, so it looks like a transponder issue to me ??
I did a Google search and it appears that the key fobs ARE covered by the Kia warranty so she is ringing our local stealers in the morning to see what they say.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
***Update...they have had it to Piccadilly Kia in Wakefield today who are saying that the key needs replacing and it is NOT covered under warranty and want £70 to replace it :mad::mad:.
I'm now struggling to find the part of the warranty I found before that said it is covered ??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Edit to the above...I have just spoken with them and Piccadilly have re-programmed they key, washed and vac'd the car and checked the oil and tyre pressures and charged them £70 for the privilege which they were not asked to do. Can someone please confirm that the keys ARE covered under warranty as I still can't find the link I found last week confirming this ???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts