Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

So my girlfriends 2014 Picanto has a ridiculously low biting point on the clutch making it very easy to stall, as I am getting back into driving after a long time (and adjusting to the UKs narrow roads and left hand traffic) this isnt ideal..

I read in an old thread on this forum that the Picantos clutch can be adjusted easily without tools by tightening the star shaped nut at the bottom of the clutch cable. The user claimed that this nut could be easily lifted out of its "seating" by pulling the upper part of the clutch cable. However, the nut on this car is stuck in there and I can't lift it even while pulling with more force than I'm comfortable with. The nut also has a bit of rust on top, is it stuck because the car is getting on a bit? (60 000 miles) Maybe it's rusted shut or something.

I'll provide pictures and a video of me trying to pull it.
CLICK FOR VIDEO

Am I doing it wrong? Should I take it to a garage?

Thanks

David

Automotive tire Leg Tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This works like a bicycle brake cable.
When there is tension on the bicycle brake cable, the conduit can not be dislodged from the brake lever or caliper, for ex.
However if the inner cabled is released form the brake lever or caliper, then the conduit can be removed.

In this case it looks like it may be most accessable to detach the cable wire from the end that is lowest in this photo.
If you try to lift the star up as it sits now, then you are also pulling on the clutch fork and clutch spring/pressure plate which is extremely strong. Probably 100kg+ would be required to lift the star up as it is now, if there is no slack in the linkages.

Slope Circle Font Jewellery Auto part

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Read you thread as I was having exactly the same problem, solved mine by spraying rubber adjuster and thread with WD40, wow from being stuck it became totally free to adjust without pulling the cable, can only assume nut feels rubbery and it just won't turn in its housing but the WD40 lubricated the rubber and adjustment was so easy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts