Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I booked my car in for it's 3rd service yesterday, and was told there is an additional charge for 'disposal of waste and oil'. I have not had this with the previous 2 services, is this a new thing, or are they 'trying it on'? I purchased a 3 year service plan shortly after buying the car from new.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's what I thought. They want 拢8.40
Has anybody else had this charge added onto their service bill?

Registered
Give Kia customer service a call and ask them. 0333 202 2990
Let us know the out come.

Premium Member
If the dealership tried that on me, I would tell them that I will dispose of my old oil (and any other waste) myself. Then take it down to my local recycling tip that has a used oil disposal drum and dispose of it for free!

It would be interesting to see what sort of container the dealership would put the old oil into, bearing in mind 'elf and safety' etc. They will probably just dispose of it in their bulk oil waste anyway.

Registered
there is an additional charge for 'disposal of waste and oil'.
In addition to what?
I guess they are allowed to alter their prices from time to time.

However, if you have pre paid the service then you should not be billed at any new higher rate.

Super Moderator
If the dealership tried that on me, I would tell them that I will dispose of my old oil (and any other waste) myself. Then take it down to my local recycling tip that has a used oil disposal drum and dispose of it for free!

It would be interesting to see what sort of container the dealership would put the old oil into, bearing in mind 'elf and safety' etc. They will probably just dispose of it in their bulk oil waste anyway.
While a individual can take oil etc to their local tip (note some councils do charge). A business can not. So they have to pay for a proper disposal company to take it away.

I would expect this is still be covered by the service plan (I've never had it with 8 services over 5 years), as this is not something new. It has been in place for years.

Environmental tyre disposal 拢6.67拢1.33拢8.00
That is from 2018 on a new set of tyres.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Give Kia customer service a call and ask them. 0333 202 2990
Let us know the out come.
Thanks Chrispy1, I am going to call the garage first, and see what they have to say. If no joy, then I'll call customer service.

This thought had crossed my mind. I'll post the response I get from the garage.

Registered
I am pretty sure it is included in the wording service plan that is Kia Care 3 or Care 3 plus. I will check later.
No I am wrong it is not mentioned but I have not been charged for it for the first four services.
Next is the last in my Care 3 Plus plan so that will determine if I carry on at that dealers or not.

Welcome to Kia Care-3, a unique service package from Kia providing exceptional value for money servicing for
your car. Kia Care-3 Plus Validation Certificate covers parts, labour, lubricants and VAT for your first 5
scheduled Manufacturer露s services. Full terms and conditions are printed overleaf.
Then in the T&C
1. Plan benefits and duration:
Your chosen service plan fixes the charges of servicing your vehicle at today's prices for the period and mileage/intervals you have
chosen and covers the cost of parts, lubricants, brake fluid, labour and VAT.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've got back in touch with them.
Firstly, I'd like to say that I booked the 3rd Service and 1st MOT to be done at the same time. They quoted 拢54.85 for the MOT plus 拢8.40 disposal fee, even though they knew I had a service plan.
I was a bit aggrieved that they didn't offer a discount on the MOT as it was being done at the same time, I doubt they are going to double check what has already been done in whatever job they did first. What is anyones thought on this? Would you expect a discount? Then, to add insult to injury, the addition of the disposal charge.
Now to the phone call. I cancelled the MOT and will get that done elsewhere for 拢35 after I have had it serviced. ;) They started out by saying the disposal fee still stands, calling it a 'Sundry Fee', I contested saying surely it is part of the service as they know it has to be disposed of, but they still stood firm, so I asked, if I where to dispose of it/them then would they waiver the charge, they replied that it has to be specially (may have used a different word) disposed off, to which I replied, yes I realised that, but I can take it to my local tip and dispose of it free of charge, they then said they would check, after waiting a little while, they returned and agreed that the charge was included in the service plan. So I got there in the end, but it took some doing. Once my car has been serviced, I won't be going back to them again.

Super Moderator
Well done.
Sounds like someone does not realise that service plan covers, the service & all it entails.

Which dealer is this?
I would be tempted to contact KCS and see their take on it.

Registered
They wanted to charge you 拢54.85 for the MOT. That's the maximum their allowed to charge. I've just checked on the Kia website and got a quote for 拢39.99, if I wanted to drive a few miles to another dealer I could have it done for 拢35.
Have a look here and see what the charge is
MyKia | Welcome to MyKia

Registered
I was wondering if Halfords do MOT鈥檚 on electric cars?

As the last time I checked with them on prices for our other ICE car they told me that were I to spend a minimum of 拢1 online or in one of their shops, then I could book a free MOT when it became due in November.
So that鈥檚 exactly what I鈥檝e done for our ICE car.
Now I鈥檓 the proud owner of a very cheap bucket for car washing. 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well done.
Sounds like someone does not realise that service plan covers, the service & all it entails.

Which dealer is this?
I would be tempted to contact KCS and see their take on it.
I will name and shame the garage after the service.

They wanted to charge you 拢54.85 for the MOT. That's the maximum their allowed to charge. I've just checked on the Kia website and got a quote for 拢39.99, if I wanted to drive a few miles to another dealer I could have it done for 拢35.
Have a look here and see what the charge is
MyKia | Welcome to MyKia
I am disgusted at the service I got. I understand they have to make a profit, but to blatantly quote me full price for the MOT, really grinds my gears (pardon the pun). They have now lost the cost of the MOT, (if they had quoted me 拢39.99 I would have accepted that), but they've lost a customer as well. Plus, I will let it be known wherever I can, Facebook for a start, and any review web sites I come across. They chose the wrong person to try and fool. I don't doubt I shall be having another conversation about the disposal fee when I go to pick the car up after the service.

Registered
I had to talk to Kia CS about something else and asked the about this charge. This is what they said "Some dealer groups have a policy of adding a small charge for the environmentally friendly disposal of lubricants. This isn鈥檛 related to Kia servicing so falls outside any care plan"
Hope this answers the problem.

Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
Well, I've got back in touch with them.
Firstly, I'd like to say that I booked the 3rd Service and 1st MOT to be done at the same time. They quoted 拢54.85 for the MOT plus 拢8.40 disposal fee, even though they knew I had a service plan.
I was a bit aggrieved that they didn't offer a discount on the MOT as it was being done at the same time, I doubt they are going to double check what has already been done in whatever job they did first. What is anyones thought on this?
Be careful on this as I found out to my cost at an independent garage last year. A service does not guarantee that the car will be returned to you in a condition that will pass an MOT. I think it should, but garages say different. My complaint was that their major service missed a corroded brake pipe which was picked up by them when they tested the car a couple of weeks later (and was failed). The MOT is a stand alone test and is not incorporated into a service so no discount for time saved, and the garage will also carry out the MOT before the service for this very reason.

Registered
"Some dealer groups have a policy of adding a small charge for the environmentally friendly disposal of lubricants. This isn鈥檛 related to Kia servicing so falls outside any care plan"
That really is a most unsatisfactory state of affairs. As one who bought a pre-paid KIA service package, I was given to understand that the first 5 services with the exception of the cabin filter would be covered with nothing extra to pay.

Having had the first 4 of those services, I can attest that my preferred dealer, Mantle's, has never charged any additional costs with the exception of the cabin filter in year 2, after asking me if I wanted it to be replaced. At the year 4 service, I chose to replace the filter myself.

I must admit that I never read the T&C when I bought the Care+ package, relying on the information provided by the salesman. Had I run up against additional charges such as the OP complains of, I would be scrutinising those T&Cs, looking for evidence of mis-selling.

Should we be, nonetheless, naming and shaming those dealers who operate such shady practices?.......presuming that the customer was not fully appraised of the possibility of additional charges.

Registered
The cabin filter change was included in the service plan for a Picanto3. Done last month. No extra charges. The proposed extra cost for an Aircon service was risible.

Registered
This is what they said "... a small charge for the environmentally friendly disposal of lubricants. "
there is no way of disposing of used contaminated lubricants in a way that is friendly to the environment, so that is mis-leading. They are most likely disposing of the fluids in a similar way to the garages that don't charge the extra fee.

I would happily pay that fee if they could document the way that the fluid is disposed of and explain satisfactorily why that method is friendly to the environment.

Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
I googled 'what happens to old engine oil' and I was encouraged to read the following,
  • Reconditioning on-site - This process uses a filtering system to remove impurities at the site where the oil is being used, prolonging the life of the oil. This method is useful for factories or other large operations that generate a lot of waste oil.
  • Inserting into a petroleum refinery - Used oil can be fed into the front end of a petroleum refining process to produce gasoline.
  • Processing and burning for energy recovery - In this process, the oil is filtered to remove water and contaminants and then burned to make heat or to power industrial operations. This is probably the least preferred method of recycling oil. Once the oil is burned, there's no way to recycle it again.
  • Re-refining into base stock for new lubricating oil - Re-refined oil is dewatered, distilled and hydro-treated to remove contaminants. The resulting product is virtually identical to virgin oil stock and must meet the same American Petroleum Institute (API) standards. Re-refining prolongs the life of the oil resource indefinitely, making this method the gold standard for oil recycling.
What does this mean for you? In a nutshell, recycled oil is just as good for your car as virgin oil, and this type of oil has undeniable environmental and economic benefits. We discuss those benefits in the next section.
Recycled oil meets or exceeds standards set by the American Petroleum Institute (API). It lasts just as long and performs just as well as virgin oil. It also has the stamp of approval of every major car manufacturer. (Some cars require synthetic oil, which isn't available in a recycled variety, so check your user's manual before purchasing.) Of all the environmentally responsible choices you can make, opting to purchase recycled oil might just be the most effortless. It's good for the planet, good for the economy, and it doesn't require a single sacrifice on your part.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts