Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have mentioned this in my intro post, but in case you have not read that, I will explain.

I bought a 2017 Picanto II to replace my now dead engined Smart for two as a tow car behind my motorhome.

The one thing I would like is cruise control. After reading a couple of posts online, it seems you can add the steering wheel control panel and it just plugs in and works. Worse case is it might need a cable for the gear box.

Bought the control panel for £23 and awaiting it's arrival. If I do need the cable it is about £20.

Anyone else done this?

Will keep you informed of the outcome.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cruise panel for steering wheel has arrived. Need the time to disconnect the battery and remove the air bag part of the steering wheel.

Seems a simple enough thing to do.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just ordered one of these from our friends in China on Aliexpress.com. I found one for 17 quid with free postage and a 2 to 3 week delivery time.

Will do an update after it arrives to report on how easy / hard it is to fit and if it actually works. From what I have read, it works with the GT line models as the correct wiring harness is already fitted. No programming is needed, it's simply plug and play!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just got around to fitting the new cruise control steering wheel buttons and it works! As said before, on the GT Line model, no wiring mods or programming is needed. It is just a straight swap over.

Just be advised the switch needed on a GT Line is different to the one shown in the video above. You need the one that is identical to the GT Line S version which has 4 buttons and TWO thumb wheels.

If anyone is interested in this upgrade, I would be happy to advise on the procedure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there!

Very interested in adding this to my GT Line aswell!

Could you share a picture of the exact one you've used? Any tips on anything you found easy or difficult?

·
Registered
100 Posts
To start with you need the correct switch pad. Click on the picture below.

1582756059712.png

This is the switch from the Picanto GT Line S. The buttons and thumb wheel on the left control the trip computer functions and the ones on the right control the speed limiter and cruise control. You can order it from Kia but its rather pricey. I got mine from AliExpress, who are a Chinese version of Amazon. There are many different sellers offering these and I chose one selling for £17 including postage. You can also get it from Chinese sellers on eBay. Expect to wait around 3 weeks for delivery and be advised none of them are original Kia parts.

The switch assembly is exactly the same colour / shade as the original and the appearance is identical as well. Even the "feel" of the buttons and thumb wheels are the same.

Now on to the fitting. You should disconnect the battery first but I didn't bother. Next is to remove the air bag. There are three holes in the back of the steering wheel where you need to insert a small screwdriver to release a spring loaded pin in each hole. there are no bolts or screws. If you search YouTube for picanto cruise control retro fit and picanto air bag removal you will find several video clips showing how to do it.

I found releasing the bottom pin very easy, Just push the screwdriver into the hole and it will release.However the two side ones were a nightmare and took for ever. They are accessed through a "D" shaped hole on each side and you cannot see what your doing. I succeeded by perseverance and trial and error! The video clips make it look easy, it's not! Once the last pin has been released the air bag will pop out and you can disconnect the air bag wiring. I covered the silver steering wheel spokes with tape to prevent any chance of scratches

If you get this far, the rest is easy. The switch is held in by two posi screws, one in the front and one from the back of the steering wheel. Once the screws are removed, pull the original switch out (its quite tight) and disconnect the wiring plug. Now go around boasting to every one who will listen about how clever you are!

Reconnect the wiring plug, push the switch back in and replace the two screws. Replace the air bag connectors and simply push the air bag back in. It will just click into place. JOB DONE !!!! Go around boasting some more and give it a final test by starting the engine and pressing the mode button. A green cruise control symbol should light up on the dash. First press allows you to set the speed limiter and next press the cruise control.

Its not a difficult job, just very fiddly releasing the two side pins. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,123 Posts
Thank you DandyAndy for your detailed 'how to'. I bought the switch from fleabay for £24 delivered which took about 3 weeks to arrive. As you say the finish of the Chinese made switch is impeccable, if the original Kia part did not have a stock control sticker on it (covering a Hyundai logo) I would struggle to tell them apart. Not bragging but I changed mine in about 15 minutes - one secret being one of those small square mirrors with tiny led lights in on a telescopic arm. Made the job so much easier as I could see what I was doing with the tip of the screwdriver, and also not disconnecting the air bag as I could work round it. Plug and play! Last thing to do is to sit in the car after dark to check the red illumination matches the other side switch. Thanks again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just as matter of interest, what’s the opinion this mod to the car would require notifying the insurance ?

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,123 Posts
Yes, any modification from the original specification should be passed on to the insurance company. I mentioned this possible mod to them when I bought the car last month and they said some modifications are viewed as safety enhancements, like dash cams for instance. Cruise control (and speed limiter) may well be viewed as such apparently. Warranty wise I spoke to the Kia dealer service manager who said retro fitting cruise control would only have a minimal impact on any claim as, basically, the only part of the car that was not cruise control ready was the switch. So Kia would not cover (she thought) any fault on the cruise control/speed limiter circuit. My hard wired dash cam has no effect on the warranty at all she told me.
The reason for wanting cruise control is that I had it on my last Skoda Fabia and it was really useful. We have a couple of average speed monitored stretches on the A52 which cruise control is made for, also smart motorway driving goes without saying....

Reactions: GarethR

·
Super Moderator
4,968 Posts
Should be possible. So long as the wiring is there,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts