Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a couple of add on boxes to decrease fuel consumption ans eventually bought a DPT kit. I now get just over 37 mpg solo and 25 to 28 towing. The kit originates from Holland and apparently is approved by Kia there to be fitted to new vehicles on pre delivery. Very smooth, more poke and I can remove it and have it reprogrammed for my next car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi RobbeyThey are £350 delivered. Its a very easy Diy fit but they do have a network of local garages who will fit them for a fee £35 in my case. The web site is down at the moment so I phoned them to get the latest price (mine is two years old). I spoke to Steve Oliver on 01670 706985 who said he would be glad to answer any queries.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I feel as though I'm missing something here.

If these performance chips improve both performance and economy on all Turbo diesels why are they not fitted as standard on all Diesel cars.

There must be a potential downside to fitting these chips given the relatively small outlay in cost. Does it cause enhanced wear on components such as the Turbocharger and Fuel Pump, as has been suggested by some?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
A very debateable subject. I had one fitted to my Rio diesel for nearly 3 years with no problems. I took it off when I traded it in for my Leon and sold it on ebay for £50.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow 37mpg??? Is that what you can get out of Sorento's?? What kind of driving is that? I do mainly motorway/dual carraigeway I currently have a 2.0 Diesel Hyundai Santa Fe and get around 40,but we have a 26ft twin axle caravan and the van really does knock the wind out of the cars sails, I've seen a gorgeous 07 plate XT manual, I love it, black with all the toys but I do around 20k miles a year just for my commute to and from work and would like to know what kind of economy to expect, I settle at around 60/65 with the cruise on, my Santa Fe also has a tuning module on it and that made a hell of a difference.....

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please forgive me for jumping in from the Venga section but I am interested in this subject. So, is the general concensus that these tuning boxes work? I see them advertised on the web with a huge range of price but I can't find anything concrete which saysifthey work or not. Has anyone got any links to reviews of these things which give an unbiased opinion of them? The last post from Mike states that the box made a hell of a difference - how? What are the differences when a box is fitted?
Timpernx.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Timpernx, like I've already stated in my previous post I at the moment have a 2.0 Diesel Hyundai Santa Fe 05 plate, the engine produces around 112bhp standard and to say it was gutless is unfair as it's a heavy car for a little 2 litre engine, but when our 26ft twin axle caravan was on the back it really was a slow pace, economy (computer figures) was around39bst solo and around 22 towing, I fitted a tuning box and I couldn't believe what a difference it made, I know all the arguments about these causing damage to engine bla bla and yes if your engine has a weak injector then these boxes will find it, but what a difference, the car is now smoother to drive, it has much more torque lower down in the rev range and the difference to economy well on the motorway with the cruise set at about 65mph I can get the fuel computer to show around 52, although in real money this is about 42 to the gallon, and when I've got the caravan on the back I have seen 30mpg!!!!!

I had my last car remapped and have always been a fan of this, however, a couple of mnths ago I had my car remapped, I paid extra than I needed to as the company I went with offered a 14day no quibble money back garrentee(?? please excuse my spelling) Each remapping company told me how much better a remap was and they kept quoting me over a standard engine, I went with this place stating I would drive the car to them with the tuning box fitted, disconnect it in their car park, have it remapped and then drive home, £350 and an hour later I drove home and was very dis heartened, the car was very very smooth, that I couldn't argue with, but the car was lifeless and was using more fuel than with the tuning box, after my week at work (64mile round trip per day) I could clearly see that the remap wasn't giving me what the tuning box was, after a quick phone call I had my car booked in for the mapping to be put back to standard, 20mins after getting back home the tuning box was back on, it was only then that I realised how much power I'd lost and on the following journey back to work the economy was back to were I'd got used to it being.

The 2 down sides to a tuning module is if you know where to look as soon as you open a bonnet of a car you can see if one is fitted so you have to tell your insurance company, and at higher revs they can make your car a little smokey from the exhaust, but other than that I must admit I am a fan!!!

Sorry if I have gone on, but if there's anymore questions you'd like to ask then please feel free.

Mike

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Tuning boxes are a good way of getting more power for a few bucks. Had one on my Rio and it was great value.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
They do work but, as has been said, they can also fool fuel computers into giving grosslyexaggeratedmpg figures.

Buy one with a money back guarantee and you can send it back if it doesn't impress. Avoid the cheap ones on eBay and the 500 quid imported German jobs at the other end of the scale. You can get a perfectly good British made one for under £200 that will allow you to turn it on and off from the driving seat as and when required.

You should inform your insurance company and they may put your premium up so you will have to factor that extra cost into any fuel saving calculations. It may also cause problems if you have any warranty claims on your car too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts