Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 3 year old sportage diesel and Recently the ad blue light came on. I filled the tank with ad blue but the light remained on. Suspecting a faulty sensor a booked the car into the local Kia garage for them to look at under warranty.

Had a call to tell me that the cable to the sensor had been chewed through probably by a squirrel or rat. The garage sent photos of the cable which did look frayed. When I went to collect the car I was told that this is not covered by the warranty and that the bill was £488. I was also told by the Kia mechanic that the cable has something in it that rats are attracted to!! This begs the question why make a cable out of something you know attracts rats?
Has anyone had or does anyone know of similar? My initial thoughts were that the cable has been rubbing against something and frayed. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
Suspecting a faulty sensor a booked the car into the local Kia garage for them to look at under warranty.

Had a call to tell me that the cable to the sensor had been chewed through probably by a squirrel or rat. The garage sent photos of the cable which did look frayed. When I went to collect the car I was told that this is not covered by the warranty and that the bill was £488.
Welcome to the forum, ‘Drdufflecoat’ and I’m sorry to hear of your recent experience of a KIA dealership. While I have come across mouse damage to vehicle wiring several times over the years, I have never seen a case that requires a £488 repair bill.

Did they inform you of the likely cost prior to performing remedial work or was it a fait accompli when you returned to collect your car? I ask because I would have baulked at a quotation for almost a monkey and taken the car elsewhere. Any decent auto electrician/alarm or camera specialist could have repaired the wiring for much less. Were you informed of a diagnostic charge when you booked the car in for investigation?

Others may see the matter differently from me but I am singularly unimpressed by that kind of charge for repairing or replacing a section of wiring. It’s not as if they fitted a whole new loom!
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top