Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my Kia Sportage ignition on for a week and have completely drained the battery. I’m trying to jump start it from another car. The dashboard lights all come on, but when I press the clutch and turn the key, it won’t start, there is just a clicking sound from all the locks and various other places.

How do I get the car started? Do I need to reset the ECU or something?

·
Registered
255 Posts
You may need to 'charge' the battery by not trying for an immediate start but leaving the jump leads connected for a few minutes to charge the battery.
Assuming you have connected the jump leads correctly.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
How do I get the car started?
Welcome to the forum, ‘mitchino’.

As ‘maxaret’ has already mentioned, it is a good idea to give the car a few minutes after correctly attaching the jump leads from the donor car battery which should have the engine running, preferably at slightly raised revs, say 1500 rpm.

It doesn’t take long - 4 or 5 minutes should do the trick then the recipient car should start easily. Once restarted, allow the engine to run long enough to get the temperature up to normal which should be sufficient for a restart, should you decide to take it for a drive. Don’t just unhook the leads, close the bonnet and set off, in case you stop or stall the car somewhere before the battery has enough energy for a restart!

I’m sure you know but I’d just caution you that the two vehicles should not be touching during the jump-start operation.

I have no idea how old your battery is or how much life is left in it but it is very damaging for car batteries to be fully drained. If it's in good order and was only low in energy rather than completely flat, you may get quite a bit of further use from it. On the other hand, if it is getting on a bit, while it may be fine all through the summer months, it may not survive the cold winter temperatures.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As above. I've recently had to replace a Soul Battery because it was fully discharged. Subsequently wouldn't hold a full charge. It can hide this if you do reasonable journeys. You will get enough back into the battery to get a start out of it next time. Winter will give it a good kicking or just leaving the side lights or interior lights on for an extended period will soon flatten it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Damn and blast!……well, those are not the actual words I used but you’ll get my drift when I say that late yesterday afternoon, I had to make a shopping trip - a rare occurrence in the last three months - and as luck would have it (sod’s law), pressing my start button did nothing other than make my instrument panel look like some dystopian, northern lights show.

I realised immediately what the likely culprit would be and a quick test across the battery terminals revealed little energy. It wouldn’t even illuminate the LEDS on the little battery condition tester I keep in the glove box. That was sufficient for me to delve into the underfloor area of the luggage compartment and retrieve my magic box of tricks that I bought about two years ago and have never used in earnest, other than to charge mobile phones and gadgets to run it down before recharging it to 100%……just in case I might need it one day.

Well, I hooked it up, waited about a minute for the red tell-tale to turn solid green (instructions said 4 or 5 seconds!) , re-entered the car and pressed the button. The starter motor burst into life and all was well with the world again!

I’m sure some forum members, at least, have such a device but I purchased mine on a whim really, never certain if it would actually do the job it is built to do. However, as a popular paint manufacturer’s ad claimed, ‘Does exactly what it says on the tin!’, this little gadget gets my seal of approval.

Should anyone be wondering, mine is labelled ‘Arteck’ but I know there are many other similar units out there.

Finally, if anyone thinks I was careless in allowing my car to stand unused during lockdown, I started it and ran it up to normal operating temperature, then for 15 minutes, three days before, in the knowledge that I would be using it on Saturday. I have been doing that once or twice each week all through this lockdown, hoping to avoid a flat battery while also moving the car back and forth in my kerbside parking spot to work the brakes and handbrake. Sadly, I can’t run a cable across the pavement, 40 yards (I’m old!) from my front door, to connect a smart charger to the battery but if there is no recurrence over the next few days, I expect a little more frequent usage will restore the battery to good health and keep it in good shape. Hey-ho!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have now been charging the battery for 15 mins at 2000rpm from another car, but still the sportage won’t crank. Lots of loud clicking from various areas. Headlights work, radio, heater etc, but the starter wont move. Do I need anew battery?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I disconnect the jump leads, even after 15 mins, the kia battery isn't even lighting up the dash. I’ve now stuck my battery charger on it, I’ll give it a long charge and see if that gets me anywhere.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have now been charging the battery for 15 mins at 2000rpm from another car, but still the sportage won’t crank. Lots of loud clicking from various areas. Headlights work, radio, heater etc, but the starter wont move. Do I need anew battery?
Last time I had battery issues like you I had loads of clicking (relays?) and warning lights. Took battery off and charged it for 24 hours and after standing a while it showed a "good" 12.7 volts. Refitted to car and all I got was clicking and warning lights.

Off to factors and bought new battery. It showed 12.6 volts which I thought may be a bit low (probably had stood a while in stock) but it started the car instantly.

Never had another issue whilst I owned the car.

They even gave me £10 for the old battery.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I happen to live near a car recyler, removed batteries are all stored on pallets, accessable for the customer to test as much as they want before purchase. 1/4 of new price. 30 day guarantee. Many are quite new. Plenty of shapes, sizes and colours to choose from.
Can be handy to have a spare, and just swap them over. Choose one with a handle.
I've had good experience with Panasonic

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have now been charging the battery for 15 mins at 2000rpm from another car, but still the sportage won’t crank.
It rather sounds as if your battery is fu……kaput!….. but could you just clarify that you actually attempted to start your car while the batteries were connected in parallel with someone in the donor car keeping the revs above idle?

Perhaps I misunderstand but it sounds to me as if you connected the batteries for a little while then disconnected from the donor vehicle before attempting to start your car. Have I got that wrong?

If that is what you did, it will not work. Only while the donor and recipient batteries are connected in parallel making good connections, can your car avail itself of the output from the donor car’s alternator which will be in excess of 12v, possibly 14v.

How old is the battery in question anyway? If it is 5+ years old, replace it. If it is 2,3 or 4 years old, you may be able to save it, at least till winter time. If you put the battery on charge using a modern, smart charger, it may take rather a long time to charge fully if it is still capable of receiving and holding charge. Over 24 hours up to 48 hours is entirely possible. Please keep forum readers posted of progress in due course.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting thread as I just replaced battery on my Venga. I did a pictorial show and tell if anyone is interested (in the Venga group)
We got boosted by Green Flag as we were at Costco when it decided to give up and the guy reckons it is a really common issue at present.
Old one was 5 years old and while showed enough volts, under load it just wouldn't make the car go
New heavy duty battery fitted, £80 from Eurocarparts, been fine ever since

·
Registered
290 Posts
Interesting to read all the anecdotes posted on this thread and I suspect most car owners are now switched on to the risk of flat batteries. One thing in particular I have learned is the need to replace (when the time comes) your car's battery with one that is suitable for stop/start technology if your car has that feature. One of my family got quite a surprise when they were quoted a figure north of £100 for a replacement.

Those powerpacks that Indalo referred to are invaluable and I regard them as an essential item to carry around in my car.

Hope you get your issues resolved mitchino and sorry that there is nothing useful I can add to resolving your problem.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Interesting to read all the anecdotes posted on this thread and I suspect most car owners are now switched on to the risk of flat batteries. One thing in particular I have learned is the need to replace (when the time comes) your car's battery with one that is suitable for stop/start technology if your car has that feature. One of my family got quite a surprise when they were quoted a figure north of £100 for a replacement.
My son in law has a `66 plate Qashqai used regularly until lockdown then used twice a week to go shopping, he went out to go shopping and turned the key, it was dead, it was ok the day before, he rang a local tyre fitting garage as that was the only place open and they quoted him £179.00 next day fitment!!
He accepted their price as he needed a vehicle!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
One of my family got quite a surprise when they were quoted a figure north of £100 for a replacement.
they quoted him £179.00 next day fitment!!
After reading these reports, out of curiosity, I used a search engine and found these prices applicable to a replacement battery for my Optima:

xide AGM 115 Car Battery (80Ah) - 3 Year GuaranteeProduct Code: 444779030In Stock
Exide AGM 115 Car Battery (80Ah) - 3 Year Guarantee

Home Delivery
International Delivery

£ 228.20
Price £ 505.99*Save 55%

Exide AGM 115 Car Battery (80Ah) - 3 Year GuaranteeProduct Code: 444779030In Stock
Exide AGM 115 Car Battery (80Ah) - 3 Year Guarantee

Next Day Available
Click & Collect
Check stock
International Delivery
£459.99
Price £505.99Save 9%

I thought perhaps the prices shown were applicable to international shipping but uh-uh!…...these are the prices for UK delivery.

Okay, now I know where not go for a battery should I ever need one. I can still resource one at trade price anyway, should I have the need. Incidentally, the well-known, multi-outlet car & bike retailer found in most towns seem very competitive on battery prices, with a good guarantee too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Charged the battery for 24 hours, read well over 12 volts on my multimeter. Still won’t start. Relays still clicking away like mad. I’m convinced there is something I must have to reset like the ECU? The car was sitting with a flat battery for nearly a week.

Btw I did the jump start properly, donor car revving above 2000rpm, leads connected correctly.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Still won’t start. Relays still clicking away like mad. I’m convinced there is something I must have to reset like the ECU?
Ok, ‘mitchino’, this is what I think at distance.

My gut feeling is that the battery is shot even though I still don’t know the answer to my question in the final paragraph of post #14.

As you have now repeated the comment about the ECU, I have to ask why you might think there is a problem there. Can you explain that?

The giveaway clue for me is the fact that you have given no suggestion there was anything amiss with the car prior to the instance where the ignition was left on for a week. While it is possible that there may be a connectivity issue leading to the inability of the starter motor to crank the engine, you have not mentioned any difficulty previously in that regard so that leads me back to the battery.

Going out on a limb, which I am loath to do at distance, I feel confident that a fully charged replacement battery will start your car. The fact that your charged battery showed over 12v on your multimeter helps me in as much as a healthy, fully charged battery, hot off the charger, would show something around 13v -13.2v. While a battery may show 12v, it does not follow that the battery is in good shape. The test is how it performs under load and from the information you have provided, I suspect it is shot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts