Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

My wife's 2013 Picanto went in for an AC regas, but the garage could not do it as the system didn't hold a pressure. So, there's a leak somewhere. It's booked in next month as it's within warranty to have it looked at.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to do a leak dye test? You can get dye and an in-line UV dye connector to plug into the Low pressure valve, but I want to know if anyone has tried this with any success?

I want to know where the leak is coming from before I put it to the garage as I want to know what is going on with the car. I don't trust garages these days, ever since I was told that the Gasket fluid was topped up on my Qashqai.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The dye is only any good if your system is running as the dye is carried around with the oil and shows up as a flurescent yellow when a UV lamp is pointed at it. Don't put it in until the leak is found and repaired. Mostly in the condenser, the front radiator, due to stone damage or in the joint to the evaporator, the cooling coil behind the glove box. To leak test it you will need OFN, oxygen free nitrogen, a regulator for the cylinder, special manifold gauge, lines and adaptors depending on the refrigerant used. Newer old cars had R134a but the new new cars have R1234YF and they are not compatible.

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
It's booked in next month as it's within warranty to have it looked at.
Exceptions to this are:

The air conditioning refrigerant charge - this is also covered for 24 months

Interesting that they are looking at it under warranty on a 4 year old car. Unless there is a known issue.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to do a leak dye test? You can get dye and an in-line UV dye connector to plug into the Low pressure valve, but I want to know if anyone has tried this with any success?

I want to know where the leak is coming from before I put it to the garage as I want to know what is going on with the car. I don't trust garages these days, ever since I was told that the Gasket fluid was topped up on my Qashqai.
TBH. If it's booked in I would not, as if they pick up someone has been playing with the system. You give them a good out to charge you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ABliss? The whole system, why?
We didn't question it. Just accepted their offer. I was wondering the same, as really they should be doing a leak test and finding the culprit. And replacing that.
Unless they lied, and made it sound as if they were doing us a big favour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts