Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to ask a really stupid question, feel free to laugh but what do the two symbols below the A/C symbol refer to. Now I know one will be outside air, one to recycle inside air but which is which and best way to use. Can see it in the manual I've got, PDF download, never got a manual with my wee buggy which I love to bit, best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome to the Craigie,

Not a stupid question as I don't think it is fitted to most/any UK Ceeds.

It is for Air Quality.
Cars equipped with this have a Sensor under the Bonnet. When it detects Air pollution, the Internal Air is switched on automatically.

You may have this Feature or possibly a previous Owner has fitted an AC Panel from overseas.

The AC Manual shows the AQS Sensor on Page 9 if you want to check if you have it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This auto sensing that switches to recirculation is used in conjunction with an activated carbon cabin filter, so any fumes in the cabin should get filtered out, rather than your lungs doing the job.
It should switch when carbon monoxide is detected or nox.
Without the act. Carbon filter, it may have less effect.
It probably has a timer as well.
The filter's behind the glove box, they're pretty thin so not sure just how effective they are are, I would guess they really should be replaced often, just like an opened gas mask for best effect.

I use the act carbon filters and I'm sure there is less exhaust smell i tunnels for ex. Vaico and purflux, are brands with quality looking, more robust filters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mcsport and Jack Daniels (love your bourbon) I appreciate your answers but I'm struggling (told you I was stupid) to understand when to press each button?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks Mcsport and Jack Daniels (love your bourbon) I appreciate your answers but I'm struggling (told you I was stupid) to understand when to press each button?
You could happily drive decades without using either function, I have. (y)
Leaving both off will just mean outside air coming in all the time, smells and all.
Switching the A button on will theoretically block out any nasty smells from coming into the cabin automatically, then switch back to outside air after a period of time.
The button without the A will definitely block out any outside smells by recirculating the cabin air, but will need you to switch it back to outside air when you're done.
The button without the A can also be used to warm up the cabin air faster in winter, but remember to switch it off or your car will mist up something rotten as the cabin air just gets moister and moister with your breath.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't think you can select the 'A' Light on the Left This should be controlled by the Sensor under the Bonnet if it detects pollution.

I would guess pushing the button will only light the light on the Right?
This will just recirculate the Air within the Car rather than pulling in fresh from outside.
Generally not needed. Unless you are following something particularly smelly. Once you smell it, it is in the Car though!!
Advice is not to use this for too long as you will be recycling used Air. A bit like sticking your Head in a very big Plastic Bag 😄

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't think you can select the 'A' Light on the Left This should be controlled by the Sensor under the Bonnet if it detects pollution.

I would guess pushing the button will only light the light on the Right?
This will just recirculate the Air within the Car rather than pulling in fresh from outside.
Generally not needed. Unless you are following something particularly smelly. Once you smell it, it is in the Car though!!
Advice is not to use this for too long as you will be recycling used Air. A bit like sticking your Head in a very big Plastic Bag 😄
You must be able to choose whether the 'A' function is on or off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can select both manual recirculation , or Auto recirculation, or none of the above.

Recirculation means no outside air will enter the vehicle, great for tunnels.

Manual recirc, The button on the right, when depressed and illuminated will cut off fresh air supply from outside. When not illuminated fresh air is supplied from outside.

Auto recirc, when depressed and illuminated, will result in fresh air from outside entering the cabin allways, unless the vehicle detects nox or CO. In which case the fresh air supply will be cut off for about 2 min automaticly. There will be no indication of air pollution being detected, driver and passengers will notice nothing.

If you live in an area with no tunnels or badly ventilated parking buildings, you could leave the Auto recirculation function on allways, and your vehicle would probably never actually switch the fresh air supply off, as there would be no need to do so.

All recirculated air is circulated through the active carbon cabin air filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts