Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there folks, I've just joined the forum. I'm retired and I've had a 2010 Kia Picanto 1.0 since March. The MOT was on the 29th of September and it sailed through with no advisories. However in the last week I've had all the dashboard lights on, once, whilst still being able to drive. The last three days the ABS light keeps coming on then going off. I've looked at the recent ABS problems posts on here. It seems the sensors are dodgy. The sensors detect the road speed of the wheel apparently. Surely, all the wheels are going at the same speed anyway, sensor or not. Doh! Anyway, I'll be sure to read all your problems so as to keep from taking my car in to the rip off merchants. Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It seems the sensors are dodgy. The sensors detect the road speed of the wheel apparently. Surely, all the wheels are going at the same speed anyway, sensor or not. Doh!
Hi.

Not sure what you're getting at exactly, but yes normally all wheels are same speed, not under hard braking though... The car needs to know if one wheel has locked/almost locked in order to release that individual brake for you. Hence anti lock brakes.

Sensor issue is common in on all cars... They're positioned on the elements and will always be subject to corrosion. It's not a Kia specific issue.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,709 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I've moved your post to the Picanto section as it my get more response.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
7,499 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

I have edited the thread title to something that makes sense. So people will understand the issue.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
306 Posts
Check the basics first. Good ground connections, good firm uncorroded fuse connections. All lights on dashboard seems to suggest a power up restart of the dashboard. Ideally get yourself an obd kit which also works with abs unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to people who have replied. I'd better get a reader for the car. What's a reasonably priced one for the car? Grapehead.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,284 Posts
Thanks to people who have replied. I'd better get a reader for the car. What's a reasonably priced one for the car? Grapehead.
I have been looking for a ODB reader and all the affordable ones don't claim to / or probably don't read the Kia fault codes.

Reactions: fenegroni

·
Registered
126 Posts
Anything decent and obd2 compliant should read the majority of the codes. That's the idea behind the obd2 format.

Loads of stuff from autel, topdon, bosch, foxwell etc will do the trick. Depends on your budget.... the more you spend the more capable the device, generally speaking. I've got a couple of Autel devices that seem to work OK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi.

Not sure what you're getting at exactly, but yes normally all wheels are same speed, not under hard braking though... The car needs to know if one wheel has locked/almost locked in order to release that individual brake for you. Hence anti lock brakes.

Sensor issue is common in on all cars... They're positioned on the elements and will always be subject to corrosion. It's not a Kia specific issue.
Didn't know that Bub, I've never had a car with ABS before. Sorry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Folks, the ABS light went off last week and hasn't come on since, for now. I set off to do my weekly shopping yesterday and it was dark gloomy weather so I put my lights on. Went to my local Tesco and when I came out I started the car, tried to put the lights on but nowt happened. I went to the next place on my route without the lights on and did my shopping. When I came out I started the car but the lights wouldn't come on, so I turned it off and tried the lights without the engine on and they came on. I got the same result each time. So I put the lights on first, then started the engine and everything was ok. I did this all yesterday and won't know till tomorrow morning whether the shite has sorted itself out or not. FFS!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hello. I have had ABS issues in my 2010 Piccanto 1. I bought a Reader Autel ML619 . this was £80 from eBay and reads ABS and other codes. Sounds as if you will have quite a few error codes to read. The reader picked up a misfire on mine plug 2 . replacing the leads cured that. It has paid for itself and my first ABS repair was £450 at the dealer.
You don not state teh mileage but is it well maintained? Could be an earthing issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks oldhenry, I'll send for the Autel ML619. The car has done 74,000 miles. The ABS light is back on but the problem with the exterior lights has gone for now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
71 Posts
I've got an Autel ML619 and it reads Kia codes including ABS and SRS. The most likely cause of ABS light is front speed sensor rings corroding and splitting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info Captain. I haven't got the ML619 yet, I'm hoping the problem will go if I ignore it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Is the alternator charging ok, and the battery is good enough?. Lots of warnings and issues suddenly all at once can just be low voltage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Jack, I'll test the battery and the output of the alternator. It starts first time every time even if I don't use it for over a week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you could go around all the 4 sensors and you could get someone to sit in the car and wiggle the wire then you know its a faulty wire but they usually secure

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just as an aside, I had some work done on the brakes of one car I owned and the garage obviously removed the sensor to do the work but when replacing things didn't bolt the sensor tightly back in place. As a consequence the ABS light would come on and off. Easy fix fortunately.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts