Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to start taking it easy on the old girl! About to hit 8,000 miles and haven't had her for 2 months yet! Eeek!

Anyway, went to France for xmas and new year, and she got her first battle scars. Some scruffy oik thought it'd be funny to key my car on new years' eve... "bonne annee" on the back, and some more unrepeatable swearing (in french, fortunately) all over the bonnet! Unbelievable. So tomorrow I'm off to the body shop to find out how much it's going to cost to put right :-(

I have to say, 7,800 miles down and the mpg is still not getting better. It's the only real let-down. It's ok-ish on the motorway, but on my commute I'm getting 33-34 (which is the same as I get in my wife's Audi TT 225 petrol!). Pretty poor compared to my old glof, which on paper claimed 51mpg but in reality returned 53-54mpg on the same route (m1 from J14 all the way south to the north circular, then a little bit of town driving for a couple of miles to my office).

8k miles is still young, I know, but I seriously would have expected much better. 47 *combined*!??!?!? yeah right... I'd love to know if anyone managed to get 47 out of theirs (and what conditions they were driving in...)

Jules

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
quick addendum about the mpg - anyone else noticed that their car seems to drink more at 50 than it does at 65? (50 seems too slow for 6th and too fast for 5th to get decent mpg) - thinking about my commute... it's that big long chunk of the M1 in roadworks for J10-J13 at 50mph that really hurts mine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
oh bugger that`s not good !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you can get it sorted, and yes only done 2000 miles in our FE and fuel economy is pant`s was hoping it would improve with mileage but if you have covered 8000 then may be not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So much for Entente Cordial. Zut alors!
I've never checked the accuracy of the trip computer, none the less;

My wife commutes 10 miles of B roads at 50-55 and then 6 miles through town daily.

Just checked the trip computer. 34.9mpg

I'veachieved 42mpg at a constant 70-75 on a220mile round trip to Hampshire (A34).Had to tickle the throttle and concentrate to achieve this. Not good granted, but hardly an aerodynamic shape and according to another thread the official figures arerecorded on a rolling road? enough said.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm still not gettting above 35 still but to be honest I do put my foot dont here and there.
I agree about 5th and 6th. You have to be careful, 5th at 50 without a doubt. 6th gear both doesnt pull at that speed and fuel economy is down at 50.

By my judgements.

20-30 - 3rd.

30-40 - 4TH

40-60 - 5th

60 + 60th.

Unless your going up a hill, in which case down one.

At the end of the day the car isnt really aero dynamic and still wieghs more than twice as much as an AudiTT. Dont think you can be too dissapointed with the stats. Any other 4x4 out their is pulling less, sometimes a lot less!

SLim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts