Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
Im Looking at buying a 2004 carens 1.8 petrol. Any advice as to what to look out for. I'll be using it as a mini cab had a magentis previously with few problems, are the carens reliable for high milage?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Hi and welcome doneillx, There is a quite a few guys near me that taxi Carens but they are diesel ones. Would you not be better to go for a diesel one as it would get better fuel consumption than the 1.8 petrol version.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello and Hi Doneillx, Petrols are great, much better then the smelly diesels, go the route I did years ago, have your petrol Carens converted to LPG. Done best part of 60000 and not a problem, cheaper road fund licence as well.
Cheers Gasman.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Never thought about an LPG conversion. Downside arecost of instalation andtank takes up room in boot not so good if your a taxi. But if you bought one with the conversion done then its a saving on fuel bills.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Davy, Your correct IF the gas tank was in the boot it would take up valuable space, mine is located in the spare wheel well, that way you retain 100% of your boot space. As per the conversion cost, its simple maths, a taxi is going to well used so whatever is paid for the conversion should soon be recouped with the cost of gas being about 55p litre, ( I pay 36p, but thats another story). Not to forget the license saving....................do the maths. I have saved at least £1000 a year, each and every year since mine was converted, thats good money. No loss of power, same MPG, its a win win win situation...............Whatever cars I own in the future first thing I have done is a top quality LPG system fitted...........
Cheers Gasman.Edited by: Gasgokia

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Maybe thats the way to go now as there is alot of garages selling the gas now. Thats good your chuffed with yours and you certainly are saving alot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
getting a great deal on the 1.8 would definitely consider the lpg option any thing else I need to watch out for ???

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi again Doneillx. Main thing is to go for a top end conversion, its money well spent. Some converters offer systems fitted from just below a grand, but beware, you can, and almost certainly will run into problems, go for a 'fully sequential system', fitted by a fully authorised installer. If you 'Google' LPG, look for the LPG Association, their site will give you lots of info, and a list of approved installers in all parts of the country. Make sure you obtain all the necessary DOT paperwork from the installer if you do decide to have a system fitted, this proves to your insurance company that the fitting complies to all DOT reg's. Insurance should not go up, if your company tries that, look elsewhere as most insurance company's are happy with LPG, again providing you have the correct paperwork. As a add on, I have no idea which part of the country your in, but should you need to drive in to London, with LPG you are able to be exempt from the congestion charge. Plus, if your into the 'green argument' LPGemits zero harmful toxins via the exhaust pipe.As regards filling stations, no where in the u.k. are you more than 50 mile from a LPG supplier, the LPG Association do a book/map showing all outlets and installers and repairers in the country, about £5, or mine was last year.
Personal recommendation for the system being, 'Prinns', not the cheapest, but are they good........I get a laugh a day off these pages when folks complain about their MPG, on whatever model, petrol or diesel. The answer is so so simple, if its pricey to run, put it on gas. (diesels excluded, not economical to convert).

Any thingelse you would like to ask, fire away. I should point out I have NO interest in any LPG converters/company's/system manufactures, I just love saving cash...............

Cheers
Gasman.
Edited by: Gasgokia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts