Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was my youngest lads birthday and one he wouldn't forget for the rest of his life.. today he is 38 and I'm sure he will yet again remember.. :cry:

Super Moderator
I was on a Windows NT Administrators course at Alderley Edge, we were totally unaware of what was going on. It wasn't until I got back in the car and found all the BBC radio stations playing sombre music. When I got back to the hotel and saw the television pictures I was aghast. Even now I see those same images and I am still horrified.
The world changed on that day.

Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
I was on a Windows NT Administrators course at Alderley Edge, we were totally unaware of what was going on. It wasn't until I got back in the car and found all the BBC radio stations playing sombre music. When I got back to the hotel and saw the television pictures I was aghast. Even now I see those same images and I am still horrified.
The world changed on that day.
We were in the Bow River Delta hotel in Calgary on day 1 of our Canadian Rockies road trip. Came down to breakfast, asked at reception where the breakfast room was and was told just past those TV screens. As we walked up towards the group of people watching them my wife said to me "disaster movies at this time of day - what sort of country is this?" And then we saw the images. We were in good time to see the second plane hit the towers! Later on that day we went out into a cold autumnal Calgary- it was like a ghost town, the only people about were the civil servants on strike outside the town hall

Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
I was a social worker at the time working from home writing a lengthy court report in the back room. My then partner suddenly called me through to the front room and we both watched the horror unfold. We realised that this was the first day of a new and very scary world. I did not get that report finished that day. Was it the next or so that an airliner crashed in New York's Queens making everyone think it was happening again?

Reactions: Phil in Wales

Super Moderator
I was a social worker at the time working from home writing a lengthy court report in the back room. My then partner suddenly called me through to the front room and we both watched the horror unfold. We realised that this was the first day of a new and very scary world. I did not get that report finished that day. Was it the next or so that an airliner crashed in New York's Queens making everyone think it was happening again?
12th November 2001, an American Airlines flight crashed after taking off from JFK, killing 265 people. Everyone thought it was another terror attack.

Registered
We were walking back from the beach in Malia and it was eerily quiet. We stopped at a bar and found out why! That was just before the second plane hit. We were due to fly back the next day and spent 24hrs not knowing if we had a plane or should be looking for accommodation. We were then told we could fly but had to remove batteries from electricals, plus various other new rules, thankfully. When we finally got there, I was stood in the security line at the airport and literally watched them discuss the length of the queue before turning off the metal detector for a bit 馃槼

Registered
I was scheduled to be doing some infrastructure work inside 1 WTC on 9/11 (for a week or so).

An emergency at a European data centre three days before meant I went there instead.

My "replacement" doing the work at 1 WTC died.

I certainly remember where I was....
Wow, that's some good fortune, for you, right there!

Registered
I had a day off from being assistant manager from a newsagents, so the morning i spent shopping, so didnt see the coverage immediately. However my gf (now wife) is American and grew up near DC, and was studying in Richmond Virginia.
I called her to ask if she had heard the news (and asked if her dad was working in DC that week) - thankfully he was elsewhere, but she said they had closed the main eastcoast motorway (i-95) and were sending fire crews from Richmond upto NY - 350 miles away.
As a news agent, there was nothing but 911 for many day to follow, and i can still recall some of those images to this day.

My thoughts are with everyone who lost friends, family or colleagues that day.

Registered
Spent much of the afternoon in the American cemetery at Cambridge and watched the flag ceremony performed at TAPS, spot-on at 1630 hours with armed guard presence. Worth a visit if you happen to be in the vicinity. On the wall of the missing, I spotted the name, Miller, Alton G, - USAAF Band, whom most of the older generation would know by his middle name, rather than Alton.

There is a beautiful memorial chapel in the grounds which is really not to be missed but the whole experience was quite moving and not dissimilar to the Pearl Harbor memorial experience on Oahu above the sunken wreckage of the USS Arizona. I also took in the military cemetery not far away at Diamond Head in between much golf on the island. :cool:

My memory isn't great these days but I think it was mid 1990s when I was in Honolulu.

Registered
Spent much of the afternoon in the American cemetery at Cambridge and watched the flag ceremony performed at TAPS, spot-on at 1630 hours with armed guard presence. Worth a visit if you happen to be in the vicinity. On the wall of the missing, I spotted the name, Miller, Alton G, - USAAF Band, whom most of the older generation would know by his middle name, rather than Alton.

There is a beautiful memorial chapel in the grounds which is really not to be missed but the whole experience was quite moving and not dissimilar to the Pearl Harbor memorial experience on Oahu above the sunken wreckage of the USS Arizona. I also took in the military cemetery not far away at Diamond Head in between much golf on the island. :cool:

My memory isn't great these days but I think it was mid 1990s when I was in Honolulu.
The ceremony at YRES Belgium at the Menin Gate is one to be at for atmosphere. It is excellent with the Fire Brigade bugler sounding the Last Post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.