Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having now had my new 2021 Kia Sportage 1.6 mhev diesel mild hybrid DCT auto AWD GT Line S (god, that’s a mouthful) for three weeks now, I have a couple of points/questions if I may ask them.

Firstly, mine has the random audio cut out problem which, along with the TSB for replacing the drive belt tensioner and a re-torque of the crankshaft pulley will hopefully be addressed when the vehicle goes in to the dealership for both to be sorted on the 11th March.

My first query is regarding a spare tyre. Once lockdown etc eventually ends and having been jabbed, I am hoping to do a drive over to Berlin for a military reunion and also have a pootle around Europe. I have no wish to, at worst call out the European Recovery people and be towed to the nearest Dutch/French/German/???? version of Kwikfit following a puncture which the can of goo cannot fix, so am thinking of buying a spare wheel/tyre.

Whilst I have no problem buying a new OEM 19 inch alloy rim and getting the same tyre put on it as fitted OEM, in order to save boot space, is there a space-saver tyre available? If so, what size is it (my car has 19 inch rims and 245/45/19W tryes)? I cannot seem to be able to find an official space saver wheel/tyre on the Kia accessories page. The handbook at page 8-69 mentions a ‘Compact Spare Tyre’ but gives no details about it. Has anyone any ideas?

If I have to go for a full size spare, would another design of 19 inch Kia Sportage wheels fit? They are a bit cheaper on fleabay than the current 'designer' one fitted to the GT Line S.

It is my first vehicle with an ‘Ad Blue’ tank. The vehicle came just slightly over half full of ad Blue. How many miles(roughly) does this amount of Ad Blue cover? I will take supplies of it when I go on my road trip to Europe in case it is not on sale over there.

Other than that I am quite impressed so far with the Sportage. Once the audio software update and the crankshaft pulley tensioner is done next month, I hope to have many miles of trouble free motoring in it.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,268 Posts
Whether you go down the full size wheel or a space-saver, you will need a jack and wheel brace. There is a number of companies who do supply a complete kit including the tyre, try Kia Parts UK or The Wheel Shop. There are also plenty on Ebay, where you will find full size wheels as well. One thing to remember, the 48V battery means you can't get a spare into the spare wheel well.
If you fill the Ad Blue tank up, its around 18 litres, my dealer told me it should be good for a years driving. I certainly wouldn't carry any, you can get it just about anywhere in Europe and it isn't expensive.
Edit: I meant to add, my car is just over 5000 miles and the Ad Blue shows half full.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
70 Posts
I've taken the space saver out of my 2019 Sportage T-gdi 4 to fit a LPG tank in the boot and now carry a can of squirty foam stuff and a puncture repair kit to go with my AA card.
If you want to buy the brand new and unused space saver, pm me an offer with your mobile number.
I'm in South Yorkshire near Barnsley, which bit of God's County do you frequent?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both.

Yes, I know the spare wheel/tyre will need to be carried on the boot floor as the spare wheel well is not available. I rarely carry much, if anything in the boot anyway and even on my trip to Berlin it will just be one soft sided bag (my hosts will do my washing etc so I can 'travel light'). I still have the tie down net from my previous Tucson which should hold the spare in place in the boot.

Mr macspot thanks also for the info re the Ad Blue.

Alan H, I am about as far north in North Yorkshire as it is possible to get, not too far from Croft motor racing circuit. If I lived another 500 metres due north (over the river Tees), I would be in County Durham (or Darlington nowadays, it being a unitary authority).

I will have a think about your space saver offer, but am leaning more towards a full sized spare now, it being more useful for continuing a journey should the worst happen and the 'can of goo' not work.

Thanks again though.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You can get Ad Blue from any number of places, Screwfix sell 10 litres of Redex AdBlue for £9.99 (although I think it may be reduced at the moment). Be careful when topping up the AdBlue tank, if you try and pour it in to quickly it will spurt back and it's messy stuff if you spill it. Allow it to go dry and it leaves a white residue that goes hard and can be difficult to remove. An old garden watering can came in handy when I filled mine.
@NorthYorkie you don't live that far from me, Stockton-on-Tees. Enjoy your trip. :)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Don't know about the MHEV boot space BUT our 2019 GT Line has the space saver, but with the EV batteries, that may no longer be possible. Our previous Sporty had the full size spare so simply swapped them over. Means we can't use the one inch lower boot floor setting (crumbs!) but gets round the worry of pootling on autobahns at space saver speed...
Had the gunk on our C4 Picasso Exclusive but never again.
We'll likely be looking to replace at MOT time and will be looking at EV options but with at least some form of spare tyre, not gunk

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Don't know about the MHEV boot space BUT our 2019 GT Line has the space saver, but with the EV batteries, that may no longer be possible. Our previous Sporty had the full size spare so simply swapped them over. Means we can't use the one inch lower boot floor setting (crumbs!) but gets round the worry of pootling on autobahns at space saver speed...
Had the gunk on our C4 Picasso Exclusive but never again.
We'll likely be looking to replace at MOT time and will be looking at EV options but with at least some form of spare tyre, not gunk
I can confirm the mild hybrid loses most of the underfloor space to the battery, the remaining space has a foam insert that has cut out for holding stuff (we keep a warning triangle, a small toolkit, shopping bags and a brolly). The floor does pull out, but can't be dropped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts