Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Stinger GTS '17 (Ceramic Grey, Red Napa Leather)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently filled up a tank of 97 RON in my GTS and noticed that the car ran a lot smoother. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Filled mine a couple of times with 98 RON, but no could not really tell the difference, so went back to the normal unleaded 91 R0N

Reactions: Sad555

·
Registered
92 Posts
Recently filled up a tank of 97 RON in my GTS and noticed that the car ran a lot smoother. Anyone else experience this?
I ran the first 2k miles on Shell V Power which is 99 RON and now changed to Shell's standard at 95 RON and not noticed any difference to be honest. Tesco's standard fuel is 97 RON whereas Shell is only 95 RON.

Every 5th tank I will fill up with 99 RON for the alleged cleaning properties that are also in the mixture as a bit of added engine cleaning. I do 12k-16k miles a year to it makes a big old dent paying for the premium fuel.

In my MX5 I have always run on 99 RON but I only do 3k miles a year in that so don't mind paying the extra.

With my previous Ceed diesel I ran it on diesel V power exclusively for nearly 20k miles and while it made only 1-2mpg difference (not enough to outweigh the cost) it ran much much smoother. I think the difference in diesels is very noticeable and definitely helps reduce any DPF issues (never had one light in 64k miles). In petrol cars I think you only see the difference if they are specifically tuned for it, which I don't think the Stinger is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tesco's standard petrol is 95 RON as per the spec for pump fuel (BSEN228).

Tesco's posh petrol (Momentum 99) is 99 RON.
The one near me is definitely 97 RON because I remember doing a double take when I spotted it and couldn't believe it. Maybe the station near me is a one off.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The one near me is definitely 97 RON because I remember doing a double take when I spotted it and couldn't believe it. Maybe the station near me is a one off.
It will not be a one off, Tesco sell the same everywhere. You need to have a good look the next time you visit, just been On Tesco.com and they only sell 95 RON (they call it Regular)and 99 RON (they call it Momentum) petrol.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I always used to buy premium fuel until I watched this i know this guy is not everyone's cup of tea but he makes me smile
Should you use high octane premium petrol, and what is octane rating? | Auto Expert John Cadogan - YouTube
That guy has one script........ "everything you read/see is bullsh.. I know better than everyone"
No difference in any brand, well that's, to use his phrase, Bullshi..

MOST cars won't benefit from 98/99 ron but to say every brand and grade is the same makes no sense. Its simply not true.

·
Registered
779 Posts
That guy has one script........ "everything you read/see is bullsh.. I know better than everyone"
No difference in any brand, well that's, to use his phrase, Bullshi..

MOST cars won't benefit from 98/99 ron but to say every brand and grade is the same makes no sense. Its simply not true.
He gave the Stinger a good review 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
963 Posts
Some manufacturers specify the higher RON petrol for their cars. No doubt they will run on 95 RON fuel without an issue (modern management sees to that) but they will not achieve the figures for power/torque/economy that the manufacturer provides.

On the other hand normal run of the mill cars that are specified to use 95 RON fuel will not benefit one iota from spending extra on the super fuel.

Problem for me is there is a BS spec for 95 RON fuel and all brands have to achieve this as a minimum for the fuel they sell. For the super fuels there is no such standard and its always a mines better than yours but we won't tell you why argument.

But in truth I don't have a problem, all our cars run on 95 RON and I cannot see me buying anything that won't.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I nearly always use 99 (either Shell or Tesco) for better performance.
You can always run your engine on lower grade safely but the reason I bought the Stinger was for the power - which is why higher compression fuels are so much better.
It must be the cheapest and easiest power upgrade you can make to your car?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ran the first 2k miles on Shell V Power which is 99 RON and now changed to Shell's standard at 95 RON and not noticed any difference to be honest. Tesco's standard fuel is 97 RON whereas Shell is only 95 RON.

Every 5th tank I will fill up with 99 RON for the alleged cleaning properties that are also in the mixture as a bit of added engine cleaning. I do 12k-16k miles a year to it makes a big old dent paying for the premium fuel.

In my MX5 I have always run on 99 RON but I only do 3k miles a year in that so don't mind paying the extra.

With my previous Ceed diesel I ran it on diesel V power exclusively for nearly 20k miles and while it made only 1-2mpg difference (not enough to outweigh the cost) it ran much much smoother. I think the difference in diesels is very noticeable and definitely helps reduce any DPF issues (never had one light in 64k miles). In petrol cars I think you only see the difference if they are specifically tuned for it, which I don't think the Stinger is.
Are you sure about that. In North and West Wales and probably most of the Midlands, Tesco and Shell get their fuel from the same Essar refinery at Stanlow, near Ellesmere Port. They draw from the same storage.
Shell V-Power is just an additive package that the tanker driver adds when loading his tanker for transport to its destination fuel stations.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Shell V-Power is just an additive package that the tanker driver adds when loading his tanker for transport to its destination fuel stations.
I don't think for one minute that the tanker drive is allowed to add the chemicals needed, it a bit more controlled than that for many obvious reasons.

Just another urban myth concerning how brilliant Shell is.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I just put the bog standard in - I've not heard that the car's map can detect and adjust to higher RON so I've not bothered. To be honest, the car is smooth and quick enough on normal fuel so I'll save the cash :)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
It is said that all car models manufactured are tested for emissions at the higher RON rating in order to pass the relevant E.U regulations. (Many wouldn't pass otherwise) Don't they have knock detectors to determine which rating is being used in cars? It's not only the RON rating that makes a difference but also the additives that are put into the superior fuels.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on a trucker's site, a driver said that when they go to pick up a fuel load they have a data card that is put into the distribution storage controller outlet. Either the "raw" but legal, full spec. fuel is put into the driver's tanker for one drop off or a computer-controlled mixture plus additives is put in for a delivery to a "Branded" garage. The days of the driver chucking a bucket of additives went years ago. All fuels have to meet their basic spec. and do so. When you buy you take your choice.

·
Registered
963 Posts
It is said that all car models manufactured are tested for emissions at the higher RON rating in order to pass the relevant E.U regulations. (Many wouldn't pass otherwise) Don't they have knock detectors to determine which rating is being used in cars? It's not only the RON rating that makes a difference but also the additives that are put into the superior fuels.
A lot of things are said but it does not mean they are true.

Cars have had knock sensors for years, I had a 1989 Golf with one.

If a car is mapped by the manufacturer to run on 95 RON fuel (like a vast majority are) putting in higher RON fuel would make no difference. In reality the old test and the new test (both of which are carried out on a Rolling Road in a lab) are so light on the cars abilities its doubtfule even a high performance car would notice a lower RON fuel.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on a trucker's site, a driver said that when they go to pick up a fuel load they have a data card that is put into the distribution storage controller outlet. Either the "raw" but legal, full spec. fuel is put into the driver's tanker for one drop off or a computer-controlled mixture plus additives is put in for a delivery to a "Branded" garage. The days of the driver chucking a bucket of additives went years ago. All fuels have to meet their basic spec. and do so. When you buy you take your choice.
I have also seen evidence that its put in by computer in a controlled manner depending on its destination but lets not forget even Supermarket fuels have an additive package. The branded package MAY be better but who knows since all retailers keep what they put in secret.

I have been using mostly Supermarket fuels since the 1980's (only time I use branded is when we are on holiday and there are no Supermarkets locally) and since we have never had an issue I will continue to do that. When we put in the posh petrol non of our cars have felt better or done more MPG so it all seems like a myth to me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts