Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife's kia ceeds clutch burnt out today-have to get it replaced at nearly £500-I confidentally said oh its within the kia's 7yr warranty but they said that only covers "mechanical failure" so I thought stupidly that broken clutch was "mechanical failure" obvoiusly not. So what does this warranty cover?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Burning a clutch out is not mechanical failure thats bad driving, either down to resting your foot on the clutch pedal or slipping the clutch excessively when moving off and changing gear.
If the clutch plate or pressure plate broke up then thats mechanical failure. Most warranties will not cover the friction plate, just the same as brake pads as everyone drives differently and some people abuse the brakes and clutches.
I new a woman who fried a clutch every 3500miles on a peugeot 106 due her driving style. she was told to buy an auto as it would save her money in the long run.

Just like to add I taxied a Nissan Primera for 170,000miles and it still had the original clutch when I sold it.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK OK I get the msg-the car had been stuck down our drive due to snow n ice so father-in-law decided to drive it up the drive and has clearly burnt out the clutch with all his revving on the ice GRRRRRRR

·
Registered
99 Posts
check out the post on the sorrento section not all clutches are down to driver error but is there such a thing as a 7 year warranty with so many loopholes,doubtful!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
£500 for a new clutch - not bad at all.Very reasonable. Usually you dont see much change from £800 or £1200 with a flywheel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've only had to replace three clutches on any vehicle I've had. One was to get a heavy duty clutch, so not a fault (on a 1980 jap bike), the other two were because of a leaking seal causing the clutch to become contaminated. Both clutches had loads of wear left. IMHO this is a warranty issue and if it turns out to be the case gather evidence. Both mine vehicles were long out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Had a G o l f some years ago, after 10,000 miles 1st gear became virtually impossibletoengage when stationary, I suspected theclutch but initially dealer said not, when I went to collect it they had changed it, plate had distorted, no charge.

If it has been burned out due to revving the nuts off the car to get it up a frozen drive it will be obvious when removed and will not be covered under warranty, simples.

The garage should have given you the old part if you were charged for the new one to enable you to get a engineers report and take further action if the evidence pointed towards a manufacturing fault or oil contamination (which would also require the leak to be repaired). If its done FOC the part belongs to the garage/Kia, if you pay the old part is yours.

Paul

·
Registered
226 Posts
IMO clutches tend to break mechanically these days, and rarely wear out unless abused by bad driving habits. Typical faults are broken thrust bearing, broken or worn out splines, plate distortion and flywheel failure (especially the dual-mass types).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts