Kia Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
FWIW, I've been running winter tyres on cars since the really bad winter of 2010 up here.
No spares wheels, just change the tyres (front only) around October and usually take them off around April.
No wheel damage caused by the changes or by running the wheels during winters.
It's not a money thing, I just don't like the look of cars on smaller wheels - so I'd have to buy another set the same size!
presume by up here your in scotland?.I don,t know anyone who have used or even has a set of winter tyres certainly not required here.lol

·
Registered
666 Posts
presume by up here your in scotland?.I don,t know anyone who have used or even has a set of winter tyres certainly not required here.lol
Haven't been required here for years either, but I still fit them 'just in case'
No harm keeping them on either. the Sportage is still running Pirelli winter fronts and will until they're completely shagged.
Then I'll put the standard tyres back on and won't need to buy another set for it going back to the lease company.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We are in the North Midlands and have a full set of winters which we normally fit, the wife has to visit Yorkshire every week and thy avoid any worries about not being able to get back (providing other idiots don't get stuck of course). This winter we did not need them but no worries, bought them off a club member (Skoda) for the bargain price of £75 including wheels. Keep one in the boot as a spare in summer and put a summer tyre in the boot as a spare in winter, simples.

Would never consider using only 2 on the front, it simply dangerous. Your insurance would probably be invalidated should an accident occur.

Admiral insurance say "If you do decide to change with the seasons, you must change all four tyres! Any less will affect the overall balance of your vehicle and the grip on the road surface." but as always its the owners decision and risk.

·
Registered
666 Posts
We are in the North Midlands and have a full set of winters which we normally fit, the wife has to visit Yorkshire every week and thy avoid any worries about not being able to get back (providing other idiots don't get stuck of course). This winter we did not need them but no worries, bought them off a club member (Skoda) for the bargain price of £75 including wheels. Keep one in the boot as a spare in summer and put a summer tyre in the boot as a spare in winter, simples.

Would never consider using only 2 on the front, it simply dangerous. Your insurance would probably be invalidated should an accident occur.

Admiral insurance say "If you do decide to change with the seasons, you must change all four tyres! Any less will affect the overall balance of your vehicle and the grip on the road surface." but as always its the owners decision and risk.
Best to check, of course, but our insurers don't insist on four being fitted.
If they started insisting four get fitted, I'd probably not bother and take our chances on the standard tyres.
Which arguably makes us more dangerous than just fitting two, at least two make us go and stop better.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Best to check, of course, but our insurers don't insist on four being fitted.
If they started insisting four get fitted, I'd probably not bother and take our chances on the standard tyres.
Which arguably makes us more dangerous than just fitting two, at least two make us go and stop better.....
does,nt sound like we live in the same country lol.I live on the coast nr blackpool can't remember the last time we had weather bad enough to need winter tyres never mind snow/ice etc.,
thinking on it must be 25yrs since we had snow that stayed for more than a couple of hours probably mid 1990's.think that was the last time I could,nt drive to work
oops quoted wrong post meant to quote back agains post.

·
Registered
666 Posts
does,nt sound like we live in the same country lol.I
We don't :LOL:
We still get snow at some point, every year, but it's been years since driving became a problem.
So winter tyres have been a bit of a waste of time and money.
But my wife is self-employed and needs her car, so it's nice to know if we wake up to white roads she can still get out.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts