Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
what is the point in buying a car with a 7 year warranty and then risking it and/or moaning about the costs involved?
Many years ago when I worked for myself, after some time I found that I was getting repeat business which is a great confidence boost when you are trying to earn a living working out of a small rented garage. I knew that if I did good work and didn’t charge too much, I would get more business on a ‘word of mouth’ basis. I had a mate who would lend a hand with any big jobs involving block & tackle, dropping subframes or the like for which I always paid him cash.

We were discussing my financial situation over a couple of beers one evening and he was surprised at how little I was charging for bread and butter stuff like servicing, brakes, clutch replacement and the like. He had worked for himself for a while but couldn’t earn as much as he wanted so got himself work on the oil rigs in the North Sea which did pay good money in those days. One of the things I learned from him was that, in terms of job pricing, there is a point at which customers will simply go to a main dealer or find a cheaper independent and he reckoned 70%of the local main dealer labour rates was the absolute limit, beyond which work dries up.

After a little research, I was able to get a handle on the labour charges of several franchised dealers of different brands in my area which was a great help in pricing up work and turning a profit. Although I rarely priced work as high as 70%, I did ok undercutting dealer prices by 40%-50% on many jobs that were easy to turn around quickly.

Being able to purchase parts at trade rates on a monthly account allowed for a little more profit in the job aside from the labour. Independents survive today working on similar principles to those I employed 50 years ago but, returning to ‘Back again’s point, I don’t understand the mentality of those who spend 20K - 40K on a KIA with a 7-year warranty then quibble about the very reasonable cost of dealer maintenance, choosing to let an independent maintain the vehicle for a little less.

That 7-year warranty is worth something so if a KIA dealer is a few quid dearer than a local independent, I view that as a price worth paying for the protection afforded by that warranty.

If I can rant just for a moment, I do get p’d off with those correspondents who speak of ‘my mechanic’ in the way that some women like to describe their local butcher, fishmonger and so on, as if they were Nigella Lawson or Mary Berry, receiving the best cuts, special deals, freshest produce, particularly when most of them use Tesco, M&S or Morrison’s.

For those who think Korean cars are a poor deal and for those who criticise the warranty, just go buy a Ford or a Citroen/Peugeot/Vauxhall or any of the German brands alleged to be Premium fare. They will go wrong after 3 years and the bills will be expensive but you don’t need to take my word for that. Some of us have lots of experience of other brands and just a glance at the reliability tables from the JD Power Survey or indeed any of the other reliability surveys conducted by the motoring press is more than a little revealing!

If you only rent your car and change it every 24 or 36 months, then you will hopefully never need to lash out any of your hard-earned to get it fixed but for those unable or unwilling to change a car so frequently, those long-term warranties from the Hyundai/KIA group, SsangYong, MG and Toyota make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
445 Posts
That 7-year warranty is worth something so if a KIA dealer is a few quid dearer than a local independent, I view that as a price worth paying for the protection afforded by that warranty.
But that suggests using an independent loses you the warranty - it doesn't.
FWIW, in my case, getting an independent to do our car easily saves £50-£60 (minimum).
And it's a 5 minute walk from work to the independent, whereas the dealer is 30 minutes in the opposite direction.
Put it this way, if I were buying used, I wouldn't worry if the service history was properly detailed from an independent, as opposed to a main dealer.
Obviously I'd worry if the service receipts were handwritten in a book using carbon paper..... 😜

·
Super Moderator
2,655 Posts
But that suggests using an independent loses you the warranty - it doesn't.
FWIW, in my case, getting an independent to do our car easily saves £50-£60 (minimum).
And it's a 5 minute walk from work to the independent, whereas the dealer is 30 minutes in the opposite direction.
Put it this way, if I were buying used, I wouldn't worry if the service history was properly detailed from an independent, as opposed to a main dealer.
Obviously I'd worry if the service receipts were handwritten in a book using carbon paper..... 😜
No where in his post does Indalo mention/suggest or even imply anything about losing warranty, when using a independent.
So maybe a apology is in order.

To me to go to my independent (if they saved me anything) is a trip away from where I used to work. Compared to the dealer who was on the way. So to me the reverse was true.
Now it makes no difference as I just use daughters car to take her to work after dropping mine off. Then reverse when ready.

As far as Kia goes biggest downside is no bodywork warranty, unless you pay for the check. So that can wipe out any savings. As well as any software updates. Again that can wipe out any savings. But updates work for all marquees.

You have to remember that what suits one, is not best for everyone. Many after spending thousands on a new car are happy to keep it all under one roof to make life easy. Rather than save a few quid.

·
Registered
445 Posts
No where in his post does Indalo mention/suggest or even imply anything about losing warranty, when using a independent.
So maybe a apology is in order.
Here's what was written:

"That 7-year warranty is worth something so if a KIA dealer is a few quid dearer than a local independent, I view that as a price worth paying for the protection afforded by that warranty."

How else am I supposed to take that, other than a suggestion that if you don't use a Kia dealer you will lose the protection of the warranty?
Unless he specifically means the bodywork protection, but I'm not a mind reader.....?
If that's what was meant, apologies to Indalo.

Anyway, one bonus of the Kia (and Hyundai) warranty is it's forced others to raise their game as well.
Renault doing 4 years, Vauxhall doing lifetime (or 100000 miles) etc.
TBH it's always baffled me why Hyundai and Kia differ when it's the same cars wearing different dresses.....

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
It is clear to me that the Warranty is only intended to cover major failures and that most faults are excluded by the wording.
My wifes Rio recently had a problem with the windscreen washer jets which failed completely. A non serviceable item you might agree, and one which you would think would last more than 4 years.
Supply to the jets was good, pump working and filter not blocked but jets apparently corroded.
Under the warranty corrosion is excluded except to the body panels so no cover.
You would think that if corrosion is a problem that perhaps plastic might be a better choice.
Another £50+ repair not covered by the Warranty :cry:
My wife's 13-plate Picanto had both the front washer jets replaced under warranty on it's 7th-year service. She had asked for the passenger jet to be unblocked while in for the service and the dealer replaced the whole windscreen jet panel under warranty with no questions or quibbles whatsoever. They had tried using a pin as I had, to no avail so, to avoid wasting time, they put new components in. That's Kia customer servicing for you...!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Anyway, one bonus of the Kia (and Hyundai) warranty is it's forced others to raise their game as well.
Renault doing 4 years,
Renault dropped the 4 year 100,000 mile warranty in February 2018.

Vauxhall doing lifetime (or 100000 miles)
Vauhall abandoned the "lifetime warranty" in January 2015. The warranty was pretty useless since it did not transfer to the 2nd and subsequent owners.

TBH it's always baffled me why Hyundai and Kia differ when it's the same cars wearing different dresses.....
Its because the local importers are responsible for the warranty T & C's. Hyundai and Kia are imported by different organisations in the UK.

·
Super Moderator
2,655 Posts
State side you are looking at.

The Kia 10-year/100,000 mile warranty program* consists of:
  • 10-year/100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty.
  • 5-year/60,000 mile limited basic warranty.
  • 5-year/100,000 mile limited anti-perforation warranty.
  • 5-year/60,000 mile roadside assistance plan.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think the idea is that Hyundai offer a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty whilst Kia offer a 7yr 100,000 mile warranty so they are attractive to high mileage buyers as well as low mileage customers who want best value for as long a timescale as possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Kia Bolton.
to be honest I used this kia dealership for my servicing mainly because it,s not a franchise,last year they told me I needed 4 new tyres on a 2 year old 12k mile car.Had them checked with two tyre places near home both said cosmetic cracking in between the treads they see this a lot on low mileage cars.
VOSA said the same as well,hankook said probably ok but if I wanted them inspected by them to have them sent back via tyre agent they warranty them for 4 years which kia forgot to mention

·
Registered
445 Posts
VOSA said the same as well,hankook said probably ok but if I wanted them inspected by them to have them sent back via tyre agent they warranty them for 4 years which kia forgot to mention
I had a set of Michelin Energy Saver 205 55 16 that were about 3 years old. I spotted that there was some cracking on the sidewalls of all 4 tyres so contacted Michelin. They told me there was a 6 year warranty from the date of manufacture (the code is on the sidewall) and all I needed to do was get them returned to them FOC via ATS tyres for inspection. If they were deemed faulty I would get a cash refund based on the remaining tread depth but if they were deemed OK they would return them FOC. No need to buy new tyres from ATS or Michelin.

Took the car to the chap that does my MOT's and after a look he said they were fine so carried on. But early November it was time to fit the spare wheels with winter tyres on so I took the opportunity to have the mobile tyre fitter up the street take the tyres off the rims (for beer money) and in truth once deflated and off the rims the cracking looked much worse. Took them to ATS. A couple of weeks later got a letter from Michelin informing me that they had been checked and were indeed faulty and a cheque was in the post (one of the great lies). A couple of days later a cheque for £195 dropped on the door step.

Come spring the chap up the street fitted me a set of Kumho's all in for £200 and in all honesty they were as good as the Michelins in every respect but one, they were much quieter. They were still on when the car was sold.

As you say Kia (and other manufacturers) never tell you how long the tyre warranty lasts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a set of Michelin Energy Saver 205 55 16 that were about 3 years old. I spotted that there was some cracking on the sidewalls of all 4 tyres so contacted Michelin. They told me there was a 6 year warranty from the date of manufacture (the code is on the sidewall) and all I needed to do was get them returned to them FOC via ATS tyres for inspection. If they were deemed faulty I would get a cash refund based on the remaining tread depth but if they were deemed OK they would return them FOC. No need to buy new tyres from ATS or Michelin.

Took the car to the chap that does my MOT's and after a look he said they were fine so carried on. But early November it was time to fit the spare wheels with winter tyres on so I took the opportunity to have the mobile tyre fitter up the street take the tyres off the rims (for beer money) and in truth once deflated and off the rims the cracking looked much worse. Took them to ATS. A couple of weeks later got a letter from Michelin informing me that they had been checked and were indeed faulty and a cheque was in the post (one of the great lies). A couple of days later a cheque for £195 dropped on the door step.

Come spring the chap up the street fitted me a set of Kumho's all in for £200 and in all honesty they were as good as the Michelins in every respect but one, they were much quieter. They were still on when the car was sold.

As you say Kia (and other manufacturers) never tell you how long the tyre warranty lasts.
thats great if you have spare wheels/tyres if not it,s a bit awkward.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When we bought our Kia we worked out all the costs and have taken two service packs to ensure the car would be serviced at our local (6 miles away) Kia garage for the full 7 years.
Buying a car isn't just about the purchase price but the overall costs for the life of the vehicle while you have it.
Trying to save a few pounds isn't a problem but if one of the reasons you purchased a Kia was because it had a 7 year warrant then perhaps you should have factored in the cost of 7 years of servicing by Kia too?
We did and have been more than pleased with the service we have received. We also knew we didn't have to have it serviced at a Kia garage but felt it would be easier, should anything go wrong, if we did. So far we've been very pleased we decided on that option.
Once the car is over 7 years old we will be using a very respected and well known local garage (1 mile away) to carry out the maintenance for us.
You makes your choice and you have to run with it, with only yourself to blame if it goes wrong.

·
Registered
445 Posts
thats great if you have spare wheels/tyres if not it,s a bit awkward.
If I had not had a set of winter wheels the solution would have been simple, buy a set of new tyres and then return the Michelins. In my case had I would have been reimbursed and the tyres been deemed OK I would not have had them refitted, they would have gone on e-bay.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have sold tyres on e-bay. One was a set of 4 brand new, unused, unfitted winters that I got in lieu of monies owed to me by a garage. I intended to use them but swapped cars and they were the wrong size. The buyer collected them and was delighted.

The other sale was 2 205 55 16 tyres off the Focus when I bought a new set of 4. I kept them until I sold the car as emergency spares, but when we bought the Ceed with 17" wheels they were of no use to me. The tyres were undamaged and had about 4 to 4.5 mm tread, only problem with them was from the day they were fitted they were bloody noisy, never buy Contis again. The buyer took out a case as soon as he received them saying he had been told they only had 2.5mm of tread by the tyre fitter and were scrap and could not be legally refitted, he suggested they had only approx 6000 miles of life remaining, what the feck did he expect for £10 a tyre delivered, new ones? he bidded on them. I stated that I had shown the tread in photos and in the listing but he would not listen to the fact that his fitter and myself were measuring tread differently. E-bay found the case in my favour.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I had not had a set of winter wheels the solution would have been simple, buy a set of new tyres and then return the Michelins. In my case had I would have been reimbursed and the tyres been deemed OK I would not have had them refitted, they would have gone on e-bay.
thats fine if you can afford to do so.not everybody can

·
Registered
445 Posts
FWIW, I've been running winter tyres on cars since the really bad winter of 2010 up here.
No spares wheels, just change the tyres (front only) around October and usually take them off around April.
No wheel damage caused by the changes or by running the wheels during winters.
It's not a money thing, I just don't like the look of cars on smaller wheels - so I'd have to buy another set the same size!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts