Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is clear to me that the Warranty is only intended to cover major failures and that most faults are excluded by the wording.
My wifes Rio recently had a problem with the windscreen washer jets which failed completely. A non serviceable item you might agree, and one which you would think would last more than 4 years.
Supply to the jets was good, pump working and filter not blocked but jets apparently corroded.
Under the warranty corrosion is excluded except to the body panels so no cover.
You would think that if corrosion is a problem that perhaps plastic might be a better choice.
Another £50+ repair not covered by the Warranty :cry:

·
Registered
527 Posts
It is clear to me that the Warranty is only intended to cover major failures and that most faults are excluded by the wording.
My wifes Rio recently had a problem with the windscreen washer jets which failed completely. A non serviceable item you might agree, and one which you would think would last more than 4 years.
Supply to the jets was good, pump working and filter not blocked but jets apparently corroded.
Under the warranty corrosion is excluded except to the body panels so no cover.
You would think that if corrosion is a problem that perhaps plastic might be a better choice.
Another £50+ repair not covered by the Warranty :cry:
Your dealer is an idiot and a liar. Read the warranty T & C's. The only reference it it to corrosion not be covered is

"Surface corrosion on any part other than the sheet metal panels on the exterior body"

and corrosion in the jets is not "surface" corrosion and jets are not "sheet metal".

In fact I cannot remember the last car i had with metal jets, everything has been plastic for years.

To say the warranty only covers major failures is a total lie.

Contact Kia and ask them to open a case on your behalf.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Back again.
I will take it further I am picking the car up later and have asked for the defective parts to be returned.
Will keep you informed.

·
Banned
666 Posts
I doubt the dealer has even asked Kia, they're just bullpooping you.
If you're on twitter, I've found Kia UK customer services people on there really good.
Obviously the pressure of problems being aired in public works.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I hate to be pessimistic but I think you may struggle to get anywhere, 1) because they've probably binned the old jets and 2) because corrosion isn't covered.

Surface corrosion could easily apply to the inside of the jets, being a finished surface exposed to the air. They just mean internal production defects ARE still covered under the warranty.

I do sincerely wish you luck in getting some form of redress but just think it will be tough. Who knows though.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
A quick check on ebay gives "genuine Kia Roi 2011 - 2016 jets @ £10.16 for one.

TBH. I would never have even thought of a warranty claim, but that's me.

Would be interesting to see if you get them back and you can just blow them out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer is Kia, describing themselves as the No1 in Europe. Its not a franchise.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sadly ,The warranty being seven years is a great money spinner for dealers. I feel , after having a car , now ten years , that I paid an awful lot for servicing at the dealer with only one claim a brake light switch. I lost on that gamble. You may win perhaps. Insurance is a gamble of course. You need a service sure but not the daft prices dealers charge. No more KIA for me. It went wrong in year eight and I had a sting of £450 for an ABS NS rear repair. The next year I did the other side for less than £50. A bunch of shiysters.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
The dealer is Kia, describing themselves as the No1 in Europe. Its not a franchise.
Pretty sure there is only one dealer that is actually owned by Kia. The rest are franchises.

Give us a hint who the dealer is.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Sadly ,The warranty being seven years is a great money spinner for dealers.
In the sense that a lot of people feel obliged to use the main dealer for servicing to keep the warranty, you're right.
The message that you don't HAVE to use main dealers still isn't getting through to people, which is a damned shame. :(

·
Registered
412 Posts
In the sense that a lot of people feel obliged to use the main dealer for servicing to keep the warranty, you're right.
The message that you don't HAVE to use main dealers still isn't getting through to people, which is a damned shame. :(
That and the hassle to maintain the warranty is a big factor. To save a few quid on servicing, your local garage has to check fluid specs, order oem parts etc and detail all that on their paperwork. I know full well that kia do not NEED to service my car but the alternative is a massive headache that could easily lead to invalidating the warranty. That's probably a bigger factor.

·
Banned
666 Posts
That and the hassle to maintain the warranty is a big factor. To save a few quid on servicing, your local garage has to check fluid specs, order oem parts etc and detail all that on their paperwork. I know full well that kia do not NEED to service my car but the alternative is a massive headache that could easily lead to invalidating the warranty. That's probably a bigger factor.
No offence, but I think you're assuming it's a difficult process for an independent.
It's really not, a good independent will have adapted to survive.
TBH the ones I use have fully detailed, computerised invoices that are indistinguishable from main dealers.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
No offence, but I think you're assuming it's a difficult process for an independent.
TBH the ones I use have fully detailed, computerised invoices that are indistinguishable from main dealers.
My local independent could not get anywhere near matching the amount I paid for the 3 year service plan.
£299 for 3 years with Kia. Local dealer would have blown that by the 2nd service. This is a garage I have used for years as well. Even they said stick to your dealer, it's cheaper.

·
Banned
666 Posts
My local independent could not get anywhere near matching the amount I paid for the 3 year service plan.
£299 for 3 years with Kia. Local dealer would have blown that by the 2nd service. This is a garage I have used for years as well. Even they said stick to your dealer, it's cheaper.
Yup, those service plans are good value - I've just got a mental block with them in terms of paying up front for something I've not yet received.
And they do tie me to the main dealer in a very inconvenient area, whereas there's an independent a stone's throw from my work.
Pros and cons.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes the Service Plans are generally good value, but first check the costs of paying as you go with your local dealer(s). Even allowing for price increases, I reckon I will be about 10% cheaper on that basis with my preferred local dealer (having now had two services) compared with the Service Plan cost over three years. Mind you the saving would have been less or even negative with one of the other possible dealers within reach.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've tested it. You try specifying what pads/discs you want with a couple of national chainers, suddenly a very simple job becomes, oh let me check on that, I'll need to requote as well. And that was me specifying. My local trusted garage said no problem if I get all the specs for them so I'm liable not them.
I'm not saying it's hard with all independents but there's a lot that haven't 'adapted to survive' still going strong giving excellent service all round. They just dont have a system to check the specs for any model available. Or a loaner vehicle.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Kia's USP is the 7 year warranty. The cars have similar quality and kit to other similarly priced brands that only have a 3 year warranty. But to benefit form that USP you have to do your bit which is to maintain the car properly and if you do like I do before I buy any car i.e. research future costs its not going to be a surprise when you suddenly discover there is a cost involved.

But what is the cost? Every car needs properly maintaining and in my experience main dealer charges are not that much more expensive than those charged by local garages. When you consider the extra inconvenience of using the local garage, to keep the body warranty you need a trip to the Kia dealer and £££'s plus a trip to the Kia dealer is required for campaign and other updates is the tiny saving (if any after the extra trips) worth it.

And despite what your local garage tell you their mechanics are not trained on Kia vehicles like Kia mechanics are. Not saying they are stupid but they do not have access to the latest information for one thing. The diagnostic kit they use is a one size fits all makes products and is not capable of providing the info a manufacturers system can.

So tell me, what is the point in buying a car with a 7 year warranty and then risking it and/or moaning about the costs involved?

Beggars belief.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Kia's USP is the 7 year warranty. The cars have similar quality and kit to other similarly priced brands that only have a 3 year warranty. But to benefit form that USP you have to do your bit which is to maintain the car properly and if you do like I do before I buy any car i.e. research future costs its not going to be a surprise when you suddenly discover there is a cost involved.

But what is the cost? Every car needs properly maintaining and in my experience main dealer charges are not that much more expensive than those charged by local garages. When you consider the extra inconvenience of using the local garage, to keep the body warranty you need a trip to the Kia dealer and £££'s plus a trip to the Kia dealer is required for campaign and other updates is the tiny saving (if any after the extra trips) worth it.

And despite what your local garage tell you their mechanics are not trained on Kia vehicles like Kia mechanics are. Not saying they are stupid but they do not have access to the latest information for one thing. The diagnostic kit they use is a one size fits all makes products and is not capable of providing the info a manufacturers system can.

So tell me, what is the point in buying a car with a 7 year warranty and then risking it and/or moaning about the costs involved?

Beggars belief.
Nothing wrong with saving some money (or travel) using an independent for routine servicing.
After all, what is really done?
An oil change, a filter change, a pollen filter change, then a hoover to make you feel special?
Do I get money off if I don't want it hoovered.....nope....! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts