Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally get around the 50mpg mark driving around town which I'm quite happy about, but today I thought I would see what can be achieved just by driving carefully so after filling up at Chard and driving to Salisbury on the A30, keeping up to speed limits, staying off the throttle when not needed and changing up as quickly as possible, she came in at 66mpg! over a distance of 55 miles. I checked this by topping up again and it was dead on accurate. No cheating involved, in fact I didn't actually go any slower than I would normally have gone just adopted a much gentler approach to driving. Journey was 'A' class single carraigeway, traffic lights, roundabouts and other stops involved.
Just goes to show what the diesel's are capable of. Perhaps Kia were not telling Porkies in the brochure after all!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
55 miles is not really a long enough test, mixed driving is just that and it sounds like you had a very easy route.Kia test them on a rolling road with everything adjusted to the optimum for that particular test and combined with no drag as the car is not moving no wonder they can get good mpg.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Dave R said:
55 miles is not really a long enough test, mixed driving is just that and it sounds like you had a very easy route.Kia test them on a rolling road with everything adjusted to the optimum for that particular test and combined with no drag as the car is not moving no wonder they can get good mpg.

considering the offical tests are half this mileage i would say your spot on and Kia dont do the tests the independent lab does the testing Kia just supply the car.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Paul, what I meant to say was that Kia set it all up to give the optimum result that they can even though the actual test after Kia have set it up is done independently. I use to go to MIRA quite a few years ago and they did a lot of that kind of thing but it's 15 + years since I have been there so I don't know if they still do that kind of thing now.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The independent testers ought to take a selection of vehicles at random from dealers, then the test might be worth something.

·
Registered
141 Posts
the test the do on the rolling road there they put load on to the rollers as the have a big hydrolic brake system them.
but this still is not the best at getting the figures the best way is to just drive it on the road.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think that 43 -45 ish is about right on average for normal running,it's about what Auto Express got out of their long term test soul diesel.Ona long run you will get 50 ish but I defy anybody to get more than45 ish and 50 ishusing it as it was intended to be used. If you are willing to be bored to death and change at very low revs them maybe you will do better however not for too long as it will not do the engine much good at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The remainder of the tank full achieved just short of 58mpg over mixed urban driving including short school runs. This was driving quite carefully obviously which as you say Tempest gets very boring! I reckon on getting 53/54 by driving normally by making slight adjustments to the way the throttle is used otherwise Dave R I think you are right when you say 45-50 when you drive to enjoy the car which is what I was getting when not thinking about this.
Under the right conditions and driven like a Sunday Grandad these cars can be very economical indeed, but keeping that up for ever is neither practical or desirable, plus these engines do need a good revving to keep them nice!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I am not very good at driving economically,I have driven a carfor a living for many years andwhen I add up the miles I have driven its frightening. My son who is now driving my two seater open topsays that I drive tohard,I thought that as his dad it was suppose to be me that told him off for driving to fast.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave R said:
I am not very good at driving economically,I have driven a carfor a living for many years andwhen I add up the miles I have driven its frightening. My son who is now driving my two seater open topsays that I drive tohard,I thought that as his dad it was suppose to be me that told him off for driving to fast.
Just goes to show Dave that we never grow up.. and why the hell should we? I too have driven professionally for most of my working life using other people's fuel, but as much as I like getting a lick on, I'm sad to say that what's going my mind these days is fixed firmly on £1.40 a freaking litre. I let my hair down on my two wheeled steed these days! Much more fun.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I envy you having a two wheel steed, I had a problem with my sense of balance a few years ago,I hada virus that attacked my inner ear and I have never got my full balance back so I have had to give up riding bikes. I have noticed round South Yorkshire the price of diesel has dropped in some supermarketsto £134.7 to £136.5per lit, this is hopefully a growing trend but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
who has managed most on a tankful (without running out!!!)..... i did 585miles before the yellow light, but thats on a fill on a sloping forecourt - so i got more in than the tank officially holds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave R said:
I envy you having a two wheel steed, I had a problem with my sense of balance a few years ago,I hada virus that attacked my inner ear and I have never got my full balance back so I have had to give up riding bikes. I have noticed round South Yorkshire the price of diesel has dropped in some supermarketsto £134.7 to £136.5per lit, this is hopefully a growing trend but I doubt it.
Dave R - Sorry to hear about your lug hole problems mate.Sounds a right bastaad.It's either a small world or it's a common thing but Ihave just had 5 months of a middle ear problem (not sure if that's the same) but I am acertainly wobbly now. Seeing the ENT this month. Fook!

Yes I know we are off topic! Old gits talking about ailments...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If this is how you spell it menizues desease , its a virus that attacks you inner ear. I was around 6 weeks before I could stand up without help, very nasty but as you say old gits get these problems.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have stopped filling the tank now Tempest unless I am going a long journey as I don't see the sense in pulling all the weight of the fuel around all the time.I have resigned myself to the fact that 44-45mpg is all I will get unless it's a longer steady run.Still love the car though.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i hope this meet we are all going on isnt gonna become an Ailment comparison day!!!...lol... we are here to talk cars not prostate problems..........oops

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have not been filling the soul up to the top for some time and we have also cut our mileage down so this week I have filled it up.I have been taking reading of all the fuel used and in the last 6 weeks I have done 1400 miles which adding everything up has worked out at just over 44mpg very mixed driving.This is what the Auto Express got on their long term soul so I am not to unhappy with that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts