That is something that needs to be discussed with your wallbox supplier & DNO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
101 Posts
What the installer would do is put a current limit on your charger, but most DNO's if you call them will upgrade your fuse for free as long as you tell them it's for an electric car.

My DNO is Western Power and they would charge to upgrade the house fuse if it was for something like an extension, hot tub etc, but for an EV its free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 7kW charger installed 3 1/2 years ago. The installer didn't change the original 60 amp fuse, which has caused no problems since.

Most of the time, I had a Prius PHEV, with a max 3.5 kW charge rate. However I have had no problems since getting the e-Niro last year, with its 7kW rate.

I have the Octopus Go tariff, so the car is usually charged alongside dishwasher, washing machine and tumble drier overnight. This is above a background load of around 0.5 kW (fridge and freezers plus never-off PC).

Occasional daytime charging is alongside Aircon units in the most used rooms (significantly cheaper than oil. Also more efficient than air to water heat pumps!)

Looking at the half hourly usage reports from Octopus, and the charts from my Zappi charger, I have never got anywhere near the 60 amp mark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts