Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6,000 miles now driven from new (GT Line S auto Diesel registered December 2018) and thought that a few words of feedback on this model might be of interest to some.

Absolute quality car, comfortable to drive and effortless motoring once you have become fully accustomed to all the refinements within the model specification.

The automatic gearbox is intuitive and is comfortable just as much in town traffic as it is on motorways. The braking system is so easy effective that you are confident in stopping efficiently, coupled with the ISG when you come to a standstill makes it more fuel economy friendly. My mpg cumulative is circa 45 and this includes about 2,000 miles with a roof box fitted. Not spectacular by any means, but I am okay with that economy.

Whilst its only a 1.6 engine with 130 BHP, it is definitely not down on power and even with a full payload of 4 adult passengers and luggage (including roofbox), it will comfortably cruise within the UK legal speed limits and outside if it was given a chance. Definitely not sluggish to pull away spritely when needed at roundabouts or junctions even with the ISG facility. The adaptive cruise control is a feature I would never do without now and using Android Auto maps, you can never in theory be caught short by exceeding speed limits or ignoring fixed and mobile speed cameras.

Its looks and appearance have given rise to flattering remarks from people in car parks etc who have admired to car and enquired about what make and model it was which is always nice when in some ways it is endorsing your own opinion.

So far so good and for anyone who has a preference for estate cars/station wagons, you would be doing yourselves a disservice by not having a closer look at this car even if you are looking at Mercedes C/E class, BMW 5 series, Audi Avant or Skoda Superb etc!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine's going back in September with probably 53k on the clock - registered Sept. 2017

Agree with most of the above - much better build quality than my previous qashqai, loads of toys (GT Line S), no problems apart from the black band on the LED lights

MPG - very poor if you have a heavy right foot (1.7 diesel, 7 speed auto). Lucky to get 42, usually 38-40 at the end of a day, been down as low as 30 if stuck in traffic or round town all day

Word of warning on the brakes - there's no brake pad warning light - mine needed new pads at 36k, and by then the disks were quite badly scored as well

Would I buy another one? Possibly, if i wanted another large estate (this thing is HUGE)

Pound for toys, nothing to beat it, apart from they've brought out too many variants in the face lift model so there's no such thing as "top-of-the-range" any more, with everything fitted as standard

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
So far so good and for anyone who has a preference for estate cars/station wagons, you would be doing yourselves a disservice by not having a closer look at this car even if you are looking at Mercedes C/E class, BMW 5 series, Audi Avant or Skoda Superb etc!
Nice critique 'Tommo21' and as one who fits the criteria of being a fan of big estate cars, I agree entirely with your remarks.

I can't criticise people for wishing to follow fashion by buying into the current SUV (and can I have it in white please?) explosion but they miss the best-kept secret in motoring by disregarding estate cars for the sake of following current fashion. Although there are two or three SUVs that I quite like, the manufacturers of those cars you mention clearly have no intention of abandoning the traditional estate car and for good reason.

The Optima SW is a fine choice and an easy car to live with. It has more useable space for passengers and luggage than the majority of SUVs and rides better than most too.

I could happily live with another iteration of my current model, preferably diesel or PHEV + DCT in the future so long as it isn't white!

A decent car all round in my view.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Mercedes C/E class, BMW 5 series, Audi Avant or Skoda Superb you mention. I wonder how many are aware that all of the VW range of cars plus the BMW have more problems than average according to Warranty Insurers and according to Honest John, as he says "So much for German engineering!" It used to good, but more is it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I could happily live with another iteration of my current model, preferably diesel or PHEV + DCT in the future so long as it isn't white!
I have to comment, that the PHEV has a planetary gearbox without a torque converter. This means that the gear changes are noticeable but the gearbox is extremely solid by design.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had my 17 year GT Line S model now for just over a year, mainly like it but there are issues that piddle me off.

I find the seats a bit too firm for my back & bum but had the same with my previous Ceed SW, a bit of padding works wonders.

The auto box isn't as smooth as my 4 speed Ceed was especially pulling away in first gear. This is my first car with adaptive cruise control and if I am behind a vehicle going slower than my set speed and move out into the next lane the auto box really drops a couple of gears and accelerates madly above the set speed then drops again.

The black band on main beam is really a pain and now usually don't bother with main beam. Really poor quality from Kia.

Would I buy another, not sure.

PS Checking the hand book there is a case for an SD card but no card, should there have been one?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Checking the hand book there is a case for an SD card but no card, should there have been one?
There should be a slim vertical slot to the RH side of the infotainment unit which, once the cover is prised open, reveals the SD card. That's what provides the necessary information to the system.

There is no spare, blank card provided with the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There should be a slim vertical slot to the RH side of the infotainment unit which, once the cover is prised open, reveals the SD card. That's what provides the necessary information to the system.

There is no spare, blank card provided with the car.
Cheers, thanks for that, I have seen the SD card slot cover and tried to take it off but it seems well fixed and I didn't want to force it.:glasses:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
it seems well fixed and I didn't want to force it.
I keep a Leatherman multi-tool in the car and use one of the flat-bladed screwdriver bits to prise open the flap which has a flexible hinge. It can probably be achieved perfectly well with a fingernail, I'd guess.

Just be a little circumspect if you decide to use any sharp tool as you really don't want to scratch or scar the surrounding material!:sad::sobbing:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I keep a Leatherman multi-tool in the car and use one of the flat-bladed screwdriver bits to prise open the flap which has a flexible hinge. It can probably be achieved perfectly well with a fingernail, I'd guess.

Just be a little circumspect if you decide to use any sharp tool as you really don't want to scratch or scar the surrounding material!:sad::sobbing:
That's why I didn't really try with too much force:angel:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts