Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a Ceed SW 1.6 crdi which I have been driving for a few weeks and I've noticed the gear changes, especially 3rd down to 2nd are really bad. So much so that I have to slip it into neutral, lift the clutch and then put it into second. The car is a 59 and has done 19000 miles.

Anybody else have a notchy Ceed gearbox?

Also, noticed that during the cold weather the clutch returned really slowly and sometimes I couldn't even get the car into gear!

Seen some mention on the net that Kia can fit a lighter weight gearbox oil that can help with the notchy gear chages but my dealer seemed clueless to this.

Going to book it in with Kia but thought I'd post here first.

Cheers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When you say the change from 3rd to 2nd is really bad do you mean it grinds the gears or is it just slow?

I have a petrol car and notice its a little slow but there is quite abit of gear lever movement to make, it seems to be a long distance from one position to the other. However the petrol engine torque curve is more generous than the diesel so its not a change I have to make very often.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It has been pretty well documented in the motoring press that the gearchange of 5 speed cars was not the best, don't think I have ever heard of a cure but a change of oil surely cannot do nay harm provided it meets Kia specifications.

The C-Max we had before our Ceed was difficult, to say the least, to get into first and it never changed from the day we bought it to the day we sold it 5 years later, we just learned to live with it.

Have to say the the 6 speed box in our Ceed CRDi is really nice, best front wheel drive box we have had since a Puma 12 years ago.

Would suggest that you get the clutch problem investigated, its been well documented on here that the moving parts are not warrantied against wear but a slowly returning pedal would not be caused by wear, would suspect a problem with the hydraulics.

Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

Did you get this fixed?

I have a 2012 1.7 diselOptima 12000 miles, with the same problems. They have changed the clutch, changed the clutch slave cylinder and now they may put this so called replacement oil in.

Kev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
Had same problem with my 1.7 crdi optima.
New clutch and different oil has made it slightly better. Well at least I can now select the gear with out double clutch.
Regards
K

·
Registered
245 Posts
Interesting, didn't know there had been issues.... glad I've got the 6 speed box

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have
had the same problem on the first 1.6 crdi ceed
(2007) - after changing the whole
clutch assembly on 80 000 km ~50
000 miles (release bearing, clutch
disk, pressure plate and throw-out lever ) and changing the clutch oil the problem is gone . Shifting in all gears
is much smoother. Yes, ceed's gearbox is not the smoothest but the issue here,
after a lot of reading, is with the original release bearing. So if you
experience hard shifting (3th to 2nd especially when cold) and hard clutch
pedal go change your clutch assembly, and change the gearbox oil.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Save me starting another topic

1st and 2nd is really stiff in my car its just started the last few weeks, goes in tomorrow, along with them looking at why i seem to have a noisy pulley.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is also noisy. Recently I've had a look and it looks like the belt has little cracks (as aged rubber has) so this authumn it will be inspected and eventually changed. Please share what is the situation with yours.

which Cee'd you have - the first one or the facelift?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the Facelift model its a 2011 with 22 thousand miles on the clock when i start the car in the morning or after washing it the noise is incredible.

Hopefully gets fixed tomorrow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Grizzle said:
I have the Facelift model its a 2011 with 22 thousand miles on the clock when i start the car in the morning or after washing it the noise is incredible.

Hopefully gets fixed tomorrow.
That's not good, do you mean noise from the auxiliary belt ?, also I wonder why 1st and 2nd have become stiff ?, if it was fine before then 19k isn't a big mileage .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts