Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what about an awd drive version of the 2012 kia soul , come on kia make a great car greater you know it makes sense...........
Edited by: graham60

·
Registered
309 Posts
I looked at buying a Skoda Yeti before i got the Soul ( even put a deposit down )
Wanted another 4 wheel drive , the spec & figures were simular to the Soul , but £10K more to buy , when I saw the Soul got the deposit back & bought the Soul instead .

I would like the Soul to have the 4-wheel drive but hope the cost does not then go up to silly money like the Skoda .

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Why would you want a FWD at such an increase in cost unless you were off road every day. What it needs is a limited slip system as long as you are not off road all the time and only need it on the odd time such as snow then driven correctly it will get you where you want to go.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Limited slip can be in operation all the time and will not increase MPG. It improves handling in both slippy and dry conditions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have had 4 wheel drives for 29 years got rid of my honda crv last year and got a kia venga 2 because i got made redundant so i have retired a couple of years earlie when i can take a pension lump sum i will get the soul hunter it would be nice with a simple awd setup like the honda crv great in wet and ice , snow but it still looks like a fun car and look forward to owning one........

·
Registered
309 Posts
Dave R said:
Why would you want a FWD at such an increase in cost unless you were off road every day. What it needs is a limited slip system as long as you are not off road all the time and only need it on the odd time such as snow then driven correctly it will get you where you want to go.

I didn't want to spend the extra & ended up not spending it , but its more a confidence thing .

In a 4x4 with all terrain tyres , if you hit a puddle in the dark ( some times you just don't see them ) you won't flood the engine or have such a hairy a moment trying to regain control.

My misses is into Horse riding etc , so we often end up parked in a field , often the weather changes during the day & you leave in the rain / mud which can sometimes be eventfull without decent tyres & 4 wheel drive .

I will be mindful of where i parkthe Soul& when i venture out if its snowing. but in the past when I owned Landrovers , it just didn't matter come , rain shine mud or snow you went out .

·
Registered
45 Posts
So far we have not got caught out with our FWD soul having moved from a 4x4, I am sure it will happen however I am sure the soul will be easier for the wife to push rather than a 2ton 4x4

I have a had a few moments on muddy verges while geocaching but nothing a bit of careful throttle control did not solve.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If you are off road then the Landrover is a good tool to have providing its more reilable than my mates Landrover. The Soul is not any different to any other car but I have had cars with limited slip and its a good compremise to have on a road car as one wheel will not stop completly .

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ive had three Freelanders the first one never went wrong & I spent money on making it better off road . joined a few clubs & did several off road events plus green laining & London - Brighton runs.
The next one was not so good & took it back to the dealer only weeks after i bought it , the last one i had for several years & part ex'd it for the Soul . I think its all down to luck & your get a bit brainwashed that only a 4x4 will do .

My driving style has changed with the Soul & it reminds me a littleof my B reg XR2 in some ways .

I am more aware of the road conditions with the low profile tyres etc , before kerbs , pot holes & puddles werejust sailed through if un avoidable.

Ive got some snow socks for the Soul & will need to be better prepaired if the snow comes back again this year . But afterseeing the amount of cars getting stuck & hitting each other in 2010, I may just leave it at home & keep her safe

Im coming up to my first year anniversary with the Soul nextweek & might treat her to a car wash . I must admit even 12 months on , I still like to drive it & looks you often get as you go by as there not as common as you think .

Edited by: Raider

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You are right Raider you do get some interest when you are driving it,we have just moved and there is only one more as far as we have seen in the area. Rydale Kia were giving a set of the snow socks with every service I noticed when I went in the other day, my Tempest was new in March 10 and has 28k on it now so the next service will be around Oct timeand the offer will be gone by then. Washed mine yesterday but the seagulls have been using it for target practise and it is covered on the roof again.The Soul really is a very well designed interesting car but as far as it goes its not as tough as the looks suggest, as you say with the low profile tyres you have to be very careful . Love driving it still .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts