Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am thinking of trading my Jeep(15mpg!) for a Spotage (2006 - 2010) and need 4WD. Looking through AutoTrader etc is seem impossible to establish which vehicles are 4WD . Is there a way to tell for definite, even some dealers seem unsure.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply, I have done this and it is<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}

<!--> surprising

how may dealers seem to think its an odd question! I shall keep on trying

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi and welcome
This is becomeing a confuseing area now!

You see a lot of cross-overs or 4 x 4 stating all wheel drive, and how this works is under normal conditions the car drives in 2 wheel drive, but if it senses the 2 wheels are lossing traction the other 2 wheels engage, provided the car is travelling at less then 20 MPH.

The button on the dash for all wheel drive will only work if the speed is below a certain speed i.e. 20 MPH.

This isif the transmittion is locked in 4 wheel drive all wheels are moving at the same speed and if you go around a corner something has got to give, the out side wheels are travelling further.

Bob

·
Registered
197 Posts
The earlier 'mark 2' models were all 4x4 capable (as Bob says they run in 2WD most of the time). I think the first 2WD onlymodels came in in MY08. As well as the 4WD lock button on the dash right of the steering wheel, some models have a chrome '4WD' badge on the front doors while the last in the run have it on the boot.
If you can afford it, I recommend MY08 or later for the long warranties and the various suspension, steering and seat revisions (and an AUX in put on the audio).

I'm very pleased with mine.

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info.

My Jeep has 3 auto locking diffs. in the last two winters only my Jeep and the Land Rover Defender of my next door neighbour made it out of our Cul-de-Sac and onto the main road. Both are fitted with AT winter tyres.

Do you consider the Sportage as capable in similar weather. My job makes it essential I get to work; and on time (6.0 am)

Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Htiek I think you hit the nail on the head!!!!
It don't matter what gizzmos you have fitted to the motor, AWD, EBD, WARP Drive? if you can not get the tractions down to get you moving, forget it.

I put some good winter tyres on mine last year andI am now sold on them, traction and braking in doggy conditions, excellent, and mine will be getting fitted as soon as the weather starts to get Wintery.

Bob

·
Registered
197 Posts
The short answer to the drive & snow question is 'yes'. We had snow lying here last winter for 4 weeks continuously and our drive way is quite steep and is gravel - after a few days the surface was polished ice and I never had a problem with the Sportage (and only on M&S tyres too - this year I've fitted 4 season tyres with the snowflake/mountain symbol). I didn't bother using the 4WD lock and let the auto system do its job (the only time I use the 4WD lock is pulling the safety boat up the slimy slipway of our local sailing club).
By the sound of it your Jeep has full time 4WD which requires a central diff to avoid transmission wind-up. Locking the centre diff has the same effect as pushing the 4WD lock button on the dash on the Sportage - basically front & rear axles are locked as one and this should only be used in slow driving conditions when it is slippery. Your locks on the axles are quite exotic - real off roading gear - but not really necessary on your drive I would expect (the majority of Land Rovers do not have these including the military versions which tend only to become stick when bogged down to the axles).

Bob is right about tyres of course. There is nothing to beat a good snow tyre in snow. My Vredestein Quatrac 3 SUV are a compromise but the test results show them to be nearly as good as full blown snow tyre (they are officially rated as a snow tyre) but also quite good on normal roads meaning I can leave them on all year.

Richard

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have to agree with Bob, get a good set of Winter Tyres and fit them as soon as Winter starts to set in, they work best at 7c and below.

In saying this though I had no bother in last winters snow getting around in My Sportage 4WD fitted with Uniroyal Rain Tyres.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts