Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone shed any light on a problem I have when the 4WD is on please ???
whats happening is, when im turning Left or Right and i get to about half lock the steering tightens up if i put half to full lock the steering is locked and it wont budge, I have to turn the 4WD off to complete the turn, eaven when im pulling into or out of my drive ?????

Is it just me as its my first 4WD vehicle or is there a problem as i dont think i should have to turn off the 4WD to complete a safe turn at a junction. Its as if 4WD is ok for going straight forwards or reverse but if i get to half lock it starts to stiffen and the car stops until i take the 4WD off

I only gor the sportage last Friday and im abit
with it at the moment as i cant figure out why its doing this ?????

cheers

Lance

·
Registered
437 Posts
4WD should not be on all the time, only for when going off road etc. It can damage the 4wd system if left permanently on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, no its not on all the time like i said only had the car for 5 days and was testing it out, but why would it stop the car when i make a turn ????
maybe the 4WD isnt as good as its suposed to be ???

thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
There have been pages written on this.

The Sportage does not have a central differential (ie a diff between the axles) so when 4WD is engaged the front & rear axles are locked together. Normally when you corner in 2WD the front differential takes care of the different distances the wheels travel (that where its name comes from). In 4WD the rear differential sorts out the rear wheels but what inevitably happens is that the 2 axles start to rotate at different speeds but because they are locked together something has to give. The effect is 'transmission wind-up' and it will eventually cause damage to something in the transmission line. Not all 4WD systems are the same and the Sportage (current or Mk2) is like the vast majority of 'SUVs' in having a part time system. You best bet is to leave the lock off and let the system work in auto or to try out the 4WD system on soft going which allows the wind-up to 'spin-out' at the wheels.

The Sportage 4WD system is excellent when used as designed (and I've owned 4 Land Rovers, 2 Fourtraks & 1 Terios so I have some experience). Section 4 of your hand book refers.

Richard

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Richard for theexplanation of whats happening to my Sportage, as i said before it's my first 4WD so im a bit Green with it at the moment. I have read the manual cover to cover but nothing realy explained what was happening, I was thinking of taking it back to the dealers where i got it from as i thought there was a fault in the 4WD part. if it's a normal thing for it to behave like this then i will have to live with it. I tow a caravan and this is one of the reasons i bought my Sportage as it's supposed to be a very good towcar, got to get a towbar fitted for next season's caravanning so if there are any problems with the 4WD system this will show it up as it will be great for pulling off once hiched up ??????? or so I hope !!!

thanks again for your reply Richard mine too is the 6speed manual

thanks again

Lance

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Lance,

Congratulations on having read the manual from cover to cover - I find it a cure for insomnia. I tow a caravan, a RIB (boat) & a utility trailer with my Sportage and it is very good. You will also find that the flat top to the mirrors makes it easy to attach towing mirrors.

Generally I only use the 4WD lock button if pulling a boat up a weed covered slipway. A party piece I've demonstrated lots of times is to take my feet of all the pedals while pulling a 600Kg boat & trailer up a 10% slipway. The low first gear and diesel torque means that it just goes up hill at idle.

I've extensive snow & ice experience with the car too and it is very good at that as well provided you drive sensibly. I've never been stuck with it and have had no dramas at all with the caravan on wet grass and with the 4WD system in 'auto'.

Take a look at this (not me!). Enough to remove the front number plate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFYn5dvOP2w&feature=related

Richard

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL bloomin ek theres loads of videos on there lol you know what i will be doing all day lol, going to show the wife when she gets home.

Thanks again for straightening my problem out Richard, as with any car that you get its just a matter of time to get used to it, cant wait to go on holiday with it next year, and i have to say cant wait for the Snow lol last year we got totaly blocked in with the snow im in a tiny village just off the A57 Sheffield to Worksop and no vehicles could shift at all for 3 days, we were on all the news Mountain rescue from Edale was here the Police eventualy lorrys and cars locked in there cars and vans all night. The village hall was opend as a rescue centre so the trapped people had someware safe and warm. All the villagers us included took what spare food to the hall for the people so there was something warm for them to eat and drink, total madness. It took ages to get some supplies up to my elderly inlaws as the estate roads were impassable in anything other than a 4x4. but you up in Scotland are used to the bad weather and snow, in Sheffield if theres half a inch of snow fallen they send everyone home and stop all the buses and declaire it a emergency lol totaly useles the council ???

but I cant wait

All the best and be safe

Lance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts