Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, unsure of the service process with Kia’s; I’ve a 2017 optima 2 1.7 diesel estate with 30k miles, I’ve had it for 6 months and it’s now due it’s 3 year service.
the dealer advised it’s simply an inspection and no work is carried out?
Is this the normal, as I would have expected a service every year would have been needed to keep the warranty valid ??

·
Registered
185 Posts
Optima diesel service intervals are 10k miles or 12 months whichever occurs first.

Assuming Kia have done the previous services, it sounds as though your car has been serviced under the 12 month schedule rule. 1st service is an inspection only (no oil or filter change), 2nd is an inspection + oil & filter change + any other scheduled service items, 3rd will be an inspection only.

check with customer services if in doubt.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
In my view, no-one should begrudge the dealership charge for the minor service as it allows a mechanic the chance to get the car on a hoist and examine the underside, something that most owners never do.

If there should be anything amiss or dangerous, it will, hopefully, be spotted perhaps avoiding an expensive disaster later, bearing in mind that the vehicle will not be examined in that way for another 12 months. Missing that service means that the vehicle will go for two years without any professional check under the bonnet and underneath the car.

How many owner/drivers actually inspect the tyres, wheels and brakes for wear or damage, for example, particularly important with the number of potholes on British roads these days? We should all be grateful that modern technology has provided us with longer service intervals, ( I can remember 3,000 mile intervals on some vehicles) so the not unreasonable fee for an intermediate service which maintains the contract with KIA and ensures that their very generous warranty provisions remain intact, is a pretty fair deal in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Hi, unsure of the service process with Kia’s; I’ve a 2017 optima 2 1.7 diesel estate with 30k miles, I’ve had it for 6 months and it’s now due it’s 3 year service.
Is this the normal, as I would have expected a service every year would have been needed to keep the warranty valid ??
Is this a KIA dealer?
YES. your car needs to be serviced as per Kia schedule. Or as you say the warranty could be invalid. Add in you need the annual body work check.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Get the oil changed every 12 months anyway (can leave the oil filter if you want), either do it yourself or at an independent garage.
Inspection is a waste of money, but is required for the warranty.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Optima diesel service intervals are 10k miles or 12 months whichever occurs first.
I feel that I must correct your comment above, ‘vengablue’.

The recent Optima model in the UK fitted with the TD 1.7 litre engine requires a service every 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. For low mileage users <10,000 pa at the first annual service, no oil & filter change will be performed as it is totally unnecessary on that particular KIA diesel engine using fully synthetic oil. However, if at the first annual service the mileage is significantly >10,000 miles, then the KIA dealer will perform an oil & filter change.

I note that this thread dates back a couple of months but for the benefit of anyone who may require information, the following is my explanation of how the servicing schedule breaks down

When arranging a first service, that should be discussed with the dealer’s receptionist, should the mileage be eg, 13,000+ miles, in which case there is a likelihood of the car covering c26,000 miles on the original oil & filter at the end of the second year which no-one would advise. That being the case, the dealer should perform the oil/filter change unless you can be certain that in the next 12 months, the car will cover only 5,000 - 7,000 miles but I certainly couldn’t be sure of that with my car, so having the change performed seems like the smart thing to do in that instance.

My car is due its next major service in November when it will receive its second oil & filter change in addition to several other jobs not performed in the interim inspection services. I estimate that the mileage by then will be c26,000 miles.

It is worth bearing in mind that KIA holds the view that the Optima 1.7 TD engine can cope perfectly well with a 20,000 mile interval between oil/filter changes, warranting the engine and associated parts subject to engine oil lubrication for the full 7-years/100,000 miles. They engineer the cars front to back and know what they are doing, after all.

In response to ‘Jack Daniels’, I don’t have up-to-date information on servicing charges for the Optima model as I paid in advance for 5 years servicing which cost me £609 in November 2016. I though that was a good deal then and I continue to believe that today.

·
Registered
111 Posts
From the Kia Care service plan T’s and C’s I took out (yesterday as it happens) for my Picanto

”Kia Care service plans are developed for customers covering a maximum annual mileage matching the standard service interval, e.g., up to 11,000 miles where the scheduled interval is 10,000 miles per annum plus 1,000 miles grace period”

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
”Kia Care service plans are developed for customers covering a maximum annual mileage matching the standard service interval, e.g., up to 11,000 miles where the scheduled interval is 10,000 miles per annum plus 1,000 miles grace period”
My car is not one of those, 'Gareth R’ but nonetheless, I have a KIA Care service plan which recognises the 12 month/20,000 service interval applicable to that model, as per the owner’s handbook.

The plan involves 3 x inspection services Nos. 1,3 & 5 plus 2 x major services in the intervening years. The only additional cost involved relates to the cabin filter, (don’t ask me why) which is a biennial occurrence that my local dealer asked about when I put the car in for the 2nd year service and on that occasion I paid the £32 addition. On its next service, I shall replace it myself as I reckon it will take no more than 5 minutes from opening the packaging and I should think it will be somewhat less than 32 smackers!

Recently, I saw a comparison of service costs for a host of mainstream models, either payable annually or on a monthly basis. It seems that manufacturers have almost standardised their servicing charges, judging from some of the prices I saw quoted. The SMMT was always slightly shady but I think their members have looked at the Mafia playbook and arranged things like the Chicago mobsters in the days of prohibition!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
was merely highlighting the ‘grace period’ which don’t think I had seen anyone mention before :)
Understood, ‘GarethR’.

I don’t thinkI have seen it in print so it’s a new one on me too. Hopefully, I shall never need to rely on it as I don’t have so much going on in my life that I might miss a service!:giggle:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts